Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living next to a pub, would you mind?

Options
  • 14-11-2009 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Just curious, I'm especially thinking of a family, my late uncle left me his now closed pub, there's probably room for a site. How would others here feel about livingh in such an area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

If the pub is closed is it a problem at all? Are you planning on opening the pub? Personally it wouldn't bother me with a family living next to a pub that I was running but if it was run by someone else and attracted a bad crowd to the area might be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I live above one pub and beside another and have no problem with it 99% of the time.

It's only when the one below me is doing something that has a third party sound system (e.g. table quiz) that I have any problems, as the sound gets setup too loud. But in saying that they will turn down the volume once you let them know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

On the face of it I wouldn't ba a big fan of the idea of living next door to a pub. Would expect it to get pretty noisey at times, especially if it is a disco bar type pub. I'm sure the party animal type people woundn't be too put out though and find it pretty convenient for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Thanks, an option would be to sell the pub and a site for a house separately. The pub is closed now but will reopen, unless I sell the licence. Selling a site might devalue the pub as it would mean decreased grounds , but I need to raise money for inheritance tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭celticutd87

My friend lives in a house attached to Harveys in Wterford and they have no real problems. When the music gets loud there is a bit of thud but its nothin that cant be handled like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How much room for a site? And how much room does the pub have for a smoking area / storage area? If not much, selling it as is + land may get a buyer, with a view to develop the land as such.

People have a hard time selling houses these days, so building one next to a pub doesn't seem to be the brightest idea, if you intend to sell the house in the future.

Advertisement