Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are Your Favourite Old School Black Metal Albums?

Options
  • 14-11-2009 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

I'm Just wondering what are your favourite old school black metal albums that you really like/love a lot. What I mean by by old school is the period between 1980 and 1995. Here are my favourites:

Dissection - Storm of The Lights Bane
    Mercyful Fate - Melissa
    Immortal - Pure Holocaust
    Venom - Black Metal
    Dimmu Borgir - For All Tid
    Bathory - Under The Sign of The Black Mark
    Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
    Cradle of Filth - The Principle of Evil
    Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion
    Slayer - Show No Mercy
    Darkthrone
    - A Blaze in The Northern Sky
    Mercyful Fate - Don't Break The Oath

What are your favourites?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

und these

Ulver - Bergtatt
    Burzum - Filosofem

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

triv88 wrote: »
    und these

Ulver - Bergtatt
    Burzum - Filosofem

I'll have to check out Bergtatt sometime.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Some great albums there. I would probably choose Blood Fire Death for my Bathory pick tho. I love that album

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    Some great albums there. I would probably choose Blood Fire Death for my Bathory pick tho. I love that album

It's a great album indeed.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Venom/early slayer/ possibly morbid angel or kreator if they fall into the category

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

In No Order:

Dissection - the Somberlain
    Dissection - Storm Of the Nightbane
    Windir - soknardalr
    Bathory - Blood Fire Death
    Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
    Satyricon -Dark Medieval Times
    Old Mans Child- The Pagan Prosperity(1997, but had to mention)
    Hellhammer - Apocalyptic Raids
    Gorgoroth - Pentagram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

dont know about the terms 'black metal' or 'old school' but as far as thrash and death metal goes here were my favorite albums I was into when growing up ...

carcass - necroticism descanting the insalubrious
    morbid angel - alters of madness
    obituary - the end complete
    entombed - left hand path
    Malevont creation - retribution
    napalm death - Utopia banished
    sepultura - beneath the remains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

My dying bride - turn loose the swans

fartmaster wrote: »
    dont know about the terms 'black metal' or 'old school' but as far as thrash and death metal goes here were my favorite albums I was into when growing up ...

carcass - necroticism descanting the insalubrious
    morbid angel - alters of madness
    obituary - the end complete
    entombed - left hand path
    Malevont creation - retribution
    napalm death - Utopia banished
    sepultura - beneath the remains

I'm afraid none of those albums can be classed as black metal. You should listen to the albums I mentioned, you might enjoy them.
    gerry28 wrote: »
    My dying bride - turn loose the swans

I think that might be classed as doom metal/early gothic metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I was never the biggest fan of black metal, more of a death head growing up... but 2 of my favourites were
    Dissection and Satyricon
    so id day favourite albums by them..
    Dissection - Storm of lights bane .. still to this day.. epic
    and
    Satyricon - Shadowthrone

• Advertisement

I'm afraid none of those albums can be classed as black metal. You should listen to the albums I mentioned, you might enjoy them.

I think that might be classed as doom metal/early gothic metal.

sorry but I never get the terms 'black metal' or 'grindcore' for me they are just spin offs of thrash and death metal and somebody's hope that they have created a new type of metal, which of course they havent. How can you say Slayer is Black metal? Slayer are a thrash metal band!

AlcoholicA wrote: »
    I was never the biggest fan of black metal, more of a death head growing up... but 2 of my favourites were
    Dissection and Satyricon
    so id day favourite albums by them..
    Dissection - Storm of lights bane .. still to this day.. epic
    and
    Satyricon - Shadowthrone

I was never a fan of brutal black metal, and I've always prefered black metal with a good bit of melody, and I've also never liked blast beats that just don't let up and dominate an album. I love when black metal bands do a bit of heavy metal style drumming as well and the same goes for the guitars as well. Both those albums you mentioned are real class.:)

Slayer are a thrash metal band. What makes Show no Mercy Black Metal? It was one of slayers first albums. People who (sad people) say that a blast beats makes a grindcore album have to much tim on their hands :)

How can you say Slayer is Black metal? Slayer are a thrash metal band!

'Show No Mercy' can actually be called an early black metal album due to the lyrics, song titles and maybe even the front cover. It's also the only album by Slayer that I can listen to from start to finish, because of the riffs, vocals etc, and it's my absolute favourite Slayer album as well. In my opinion they became a thrash metal band when they made 'Reigning Blood' onwards.

'Show No Mercy' can actually be called an early black metal album due to the lyrics, song titles and maybe even the front cover. It's also the only album by Slayer that I can listen to from start to finish, because of the riffs, vocals etc, and it's my absolute favourite Slayer album as well. In my opinion they became a thrash metal band when they made 'Reigning Blood' onwards.

thats my point, they are a thrash metal band and always have been. Its laughable that you say Show no Mercy is a black album when the term didnt even exist when they made the album! :)

thats my point, they are a thrash metal band and always have been. Its laughable that you say Show no Mercy is a black album when the term didnt even exist when they made the album! :)

I guess there are so many genres nowadays its hard to say what is black metal!!(slayer are deffo Trash), scandnavian Metal is my favourite type of metal so its hard not to say I like Black metal!! But I myself dont like putting a label on a band, in my eyes I just Like Extreme aggressive music! ....................gettting back to the Thread i forgot to mention::D

604px-Pure_Holocaust.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

I'm usually not too bothered about pigeonholing terms like 'thrash' and 'black metal'. However, in this case I have to agree that Slayer should not be included in the black metal camp. Slayer no doubt influenced the whole black scene but can't be said to be a BM band.

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    I guess there are so many genres nowadays its hard to say what is black metal!!(slayer are deffo Trash), scandnavian Metal is my favourite type of metal so its hard not to say I like Black metal!! But I myself dont like putting a label on a band, in my eyes I just Like Extreme aggressive music! ....................gettting back to the Thread i forgot to mention::D

604px-Pure_Holocaust.jpg

LOL in my book there is Heavy, Thrash and Death Metal! Every other genre can and should be ignored. The ONLY new metal that actually deserves a 'name' is Comic Metal, which im a fan off :) Beatallica are hillarious heavy :)

LOL in my book there is Heavy, Thrash and Death Metal! Every other genre can and should be ignored. The ONLY new metal that actually deserves a 'name' is Comic Metal, which im a fan off :) Beatallica are hillarious heavy :)

If all other genres of metal should be ignored then why are you posting in a tread entitled " old school black metal" ........as for beatallica...no comment!:D

If all other genres of metal should be ignored then why are you posting in a tread entitled " old school black metal" ........as for beatallica...no comment!:D

Im posting on this thread out of protest! quite simply their is NOTHING new about ANY of these new genres that hasnt being done before, just like the OP's saying that Slayers show no Mercy is a a black metal album....proves my point really!!

• Advertisement

....................gettting back to the Thread i forgot to mention::D

604px-Pure_Holocaust.jpg

Class album. Definitely one of Immortals best albums.

Im posting on this thread out of protest! quite simply their is NOTHING new about ANY of these new genres that hasnt being done before, just like the OP's saying that Slayers show no Mercy is a a black metal album....proves my point really!!

Slayer are slayer and always will be slayer, live undead was my first album! and they are an amazing band! but i have to disagree with you that there is nothing new about certain genres, obviously you havent had the access to hear such bands but Skyclad, windir, Burzum, Dimmu, Arcturas, Ulver, Wintersun, Borknagar, Asgoroth etc etc the list is endless of bands that have their own sound and made it new. and before you say it yes they probably did grow up listening to slayer, sepultura etc, but its called evolving, even slayer took Priest and sabbath and made their own music! Enough of the defending, just enjoy the metal whatever it sounds like!!!!!

Slayer are slayer and always will be slayer, live undead was my first album! and they are an amazing band! but i have to disagree with you that there is nothing new about certain genres, obviously you havent had the access to hear such bands but Skyclad, windir, Burzum, Dimmu, Arcturas, Ulver, Wintersun, Borknagar, Asgoroth etc etc the list is endless of bands that have their own sound and made it new. and before you say it yes they probably did grow up listening to slayer, sepultura etc, but its called evolving, even slayer took Priest and sabbath and made their own music! Enough of the defending, just enjoy the metal whatever it sounds like!!!!!

Ok so some bring their own style to metal but I havent heard a new band thats deserving of a new genre label. take Triumvir for example, a complete Carcass rip off band! Im sure some of the bands you mentioned above are good its just the genre labelling pee's me off, for me there is only heavy, thrash and death metal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Do any of you guys listen to Sunn O))) or Wolves in the throne room?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

Ok so some bring their own style to metal but I havent heard a new band thats deserving of a new genre label. take Triumvir for example, a complete Carcass rip off band! Im sure some of the bands you mentioned above are good its just the genre labelling pee's me off, for me there is only heavy, thrash and death metal

Funny you should say that. I'm old enough to remember the emergence of thrash, death, grind etc. None of these genres were met with open arms by the more mainstream metal scene. Napalm death, Slayer, Carcass, King Diamond, Venom etc were all, at some stage, dismissed by the old order. They were to be nothing more than a temporary aberration and metal would re-establish itself as the dominant force. Fact is the old order couldn't see what was staring them in the face - that they were being pushed aside by a hungrier, more aggressive generation of musicans.

I even remember an interview of Iron Maidens in which Metallica were derided as not being a true metal band. This was when Metallica were just starting to make a name for themselves but were still far enough down the pecking order that Maiden felt they could slag them off. It wouldn't happen today!

It's the same old story today with Black Metal. People of a certain age group can't accept that things change. If the metal scene doesn't evolve then it stagnates and dies. Change, whether you like it or not, is the lifeblood of rock.

I just came across some other bands recently that are very old school but are quite new. Bewitched from Sweden is one and their sound is like early Bathory, Venom and Slayer's 'Show No Mercy' album. The guitars are pretty good even though they are quite simplistic. They do not have any blast beats in their music, instead they play a heavy metal/thrash metal style of drumming with some fast beats now and again.

Another band that I came across is Old Forest from the Uk and they are very atmospheric cult Black Metal in the style of early 90's Norwegian church-burning black-metal, but without the endless barrage of blastbeats. They also have an excellent and very prominent bass sound as well which is normally drowned out with the guitars and drums in metal music. I first heard them on a Terrorizer compilation way back in 2000 when I was only getting into black metal, and the song that I heard was 'A Death in The Cemetary'.

I was extremely impressed with the way this song sounded, and it is not like the typical generic black metal that you hear with loads of blast beats, buzzsaw guitars and barely any melody at all. I recently managed to download their 'Into The Old Forest' album from 1999 and I must say it's rather excellent. It does take a while to get into at first, because of some similar sound riffs but once you get into it you'll love it a lot. So if your looking for something that is like very early Emperor, but with a bit more emphasis on melody and atmosphere this might be what your looking for. It's very very hard and very rare to get now and very expensive on amazon.com, so if anybody is interested pm me.;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Mayhem - Deathcrush, Wolfs Lair Abyss and Grand Declaration of War
    Nargaroth - Black Metal ist Krieg, F**k of Nowadays Black Metal
    Nattefrost - Terrorist - Nekronaut Part II
    Nazhand - Khazan
    Shining - The Eerie Cold, Halmstad, Within Deep Dark Chambers
    1349 - Hellfire, Beyond the Apocalypse
    Xasthur - Telepathic With The Dead, Subliminal Genocide, All Reflections Drained
    Abgott - Artefacts of Madness
    Abyssic Hate - Life is a Pain in the Neck

And there is loads of other black metal I love

Denny M wrote: »
    Mayhem - Deathcrush, Wolfs Lair Abyss and Grand Declaration of War
    Nargaroth - Black Metal ist Krieg, F**k of Nowadays Black Metal
    Nattefrost - Terrorist - Nekronaut Part II
    Nazhand - Khazan
    Shining - The Eerie Cold, Halmstad, Within Deep Dark Chambers
    1349 - Hellfire, Beyond the Apocalypse
    Xasthur - Telepathic With The Dead, Subliminal Genocide, All Reflections Drained
    Abgott - Artefacts of Madness
    Abyssic Hate - Life is a Pain in the Neck

And there is loads of other black metal I love

You might also enjoy 'Into The Old Forest' by Old Forest from 1999. Its very very very hard to get a hold of these days, and its sadly underrated as well. 'Black Shining Leather' by Carpathain Forest is also class as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Cathy666

Darkthrone - Under a Funeral Moon
    Darkthrone - A Blaze in The Northern Sky
    Darkthrone - Transylvanian Hunger
    Behemoth - Sventevith
    Bathory - Under The Sign of The Black Mark
    Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
    Carpathian Forest - Through Chasm, Caves and Titan Woods
    Summoning - Lugburz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

buck65 wrote: »
    Do any of you guys listen to Sunn O))) or Wolves in the throne room?

Yes.

Weakling(Dead As Dreams) and In the Woods(Omnio) merit a mention as well.

Advertisement