Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OPINION POLL: Are the unions correct to strike on the 24th?

Options
  • 14-11-2009 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Should the unions in your opinion be striking on the 24th?

Should the unions be striking on the 24th? 218 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    25% 56 votes
    I don't know
    74% 162 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I dont know (obviously)

Reasons For?

Reasons Against?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Overheal wrote: »
    I dont know (obviously)

Reasons For?

Reasons Against?

If people want to list reasons that's fine but I don't want to turn this thread into a debate on the subject, it's purely to give an idea of the mood of the boards.ie posters on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Richiecats

With such a general question the answer has to be NO :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

I'm not in a union and not in public service, For sure if I were in their boat I would not like to see my pay cut. But there is nothing to gain from the strick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I would say no. But most in the public sector would say yes. I thought there were a lot of different reasons for this. But I'm beginning to think its simply a case of a turkey not voting for xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

The question is really far too broad in my opinion to have any real significance. There are many different unions going be involved in the strike on the 24th, if it goes ahead, some representing front line workers, some representing the lowest-paid admin staff, some representing technical staff etc.

Even within the individual groups there are those who may have only recently started in their jobs and are on a low basic wage and those who have been in their jobs for many years, taking home an attractive wage along with allowances, overtime and bonuses etc.

In my opinion some have more justification for striking than others and while I recognise that cuts have to occur, I hope the result of the cuts is that:

1) The numbers working on the front line is protected.
    2) The lower paid are not hit to such a degree that they will be left completely demoralised and unable to pay the bills
    3) Hard working, dedicated, skilled workers are not put in a situation where it is best to emigrate, resulting in a poor standard of service that will be frustrating for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Unwilling

But sure noone wants to see their pay cut.. but most of us in the private sector dont' have a choice. It's do or you and your co - workers loose your jobs.
    I do however believe there a many many areas in the public sector where savings can be made... streamlining purchases, centralising activities... it's all so archaeic and segmented that it's no wonder it is a money pit....

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

The way i see it is : There are many in the Public service who are good hard workers and do not earn too much money, Those same people are not allowed to use their inititive to improve things. It is typical in the public service for wasters and lick arses to get promoted to managerial positions, and some of those could not organise a dogs dinner.
    There is no co operation of the different Public departments.

On the subject of the strike,, they will gain nothing striking.

EF wrote: »
    The question is really far too broad in my opinion to have any real significance.

Well, I chose a broadly worded question to avoid any possible biasing of the result. If I phrased it as "Do you think the Unions will gain anything from Striking" this would split the pro-union side into Yes and Nos (i.e. some might feel that Yes the unions should strike but that they won't achieve anything by doing so) while leaving the anti-union side all in the No camp.

Essentially the more narrow we make the question here the more room we have for people to feel that they're being funneled into giving a particular answer. A broad question allows a simple show of support for either side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Unions are paid to represent their members interest.
    The bearded leaders didn't decide on the strike, it was the members who voted for it.

So the unions are taking drastic action and hope to succeed without public support. If they succeed or fail depends on the backbone of our cabinet ministers

Let's sit back and see what happens

Btw, unions represent hundreds of thousands of private sector workers, are they protesting too? No??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

The unions don't seem to be interested in solidarity at all, they've divided the country and are creating a hatred for public servants that's palpable, I dread to think where this will go.

bladespin wrote: »
    The unions don't seem to be interested in solidarity at all, they've divided the country and are creating a hatred for public servants that's palpable, I dread to think where this will go.

What I find bizarre about this strike is that it doesn't screw over bankers or politicians but ordinary people who had hip replacement surgery that day, parents who both work now having to find child sitters for the day, people who've already booked time off work to do their driving test that day and so on.

I just fail to see how this won't negatively affect the public sector unions' support amongst private sector workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

The newspapers aren't being impartial in this at all and considering all things it is my belief that the division has been orchestrated by those in power who want to make the cuts with the least amount of opposition

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/madness-of-public-sector-sick-days-is-infecting-nation-1924831.html

The number of lies in that piece is just astonishing.

I'm not a PS worker but I support the strike.

S.L.F wrote: »
    The newspapers aren't being impartial in this at all and considering all things it is my belief that the division has been orchestrated by those in power who want to make the cuts with the least amount of opposition

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/madness-of-public-sector-sick-days-is-infecting-nation-1924831.html

The number of lies in that piece is just astonishing.

I'm not a PS worker but I support the strike.

Eh, that newspaper piece is an opinion piece by Kevin Myers. Such opinion pieces are inevitably biased towards one side or the other and cannot be used as an example of reporting in newspapers!

Plus, like, it's Kevin Myers who isn't exactly a paragon of serious unbiased reporting in any sane person's mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Kevin Myers is an opinion columnist, not a news reporter.

I support the workers who wish to strike. It's not my pay that's being reduced. It's not me who will have to live with the consequences of what the pay cut will mean for normal working families. There are many public service workers who do not earn enough for their hard work like firemen and women.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

nesf wrote: »
    Eh, that newspaper piece is an opinion piece by Kevin Myers. Such opinion pieces are inevitably biased towards one side or the other and cannot be used as an example of reporting in newspapers!

Plus, like, it's Kevin Myers who isn't exactly a paragon of serious unbiased reporting in any sane person's mind!

Yes but has there been any unbiased opinion pieces in the indo recently.

In a word "No".

They have all been the same PS bashers.

Another example

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/civil-service-privilege-day-perks-escape-axe-1937137.html

I'm not adding anything extra to this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

The answer is yes they are right to strike, I dont work in the public service and think they are over paid but if they dont strike they will be bent over.
    I think there is a sickening amount of waste in the public sector but this is the fault of the top people not the individual worker, people in management positions should have there salary cut and given the opertunity to make it up in bonus payments were they deliver a more eficient service.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mcloke

nesf wrote: »
    What I find bizarre about this strike is that it doesn't screw over bankers or politicians but ordinary people who had hip replacement surgery that day, parents who both work now having to find child sitters for the day, people who've already booked time off work to do their driving test that day and so on.

I just fail to see how this won't negatively affect the public sector unions' support amongst private sector workers.

As a non public sector worker...before people start to think I am :rolleyes: What do you expect them to do...sit back and take it? Maybe the people who you have mentioned will realise how much we rely on public sector workers in our day to day lives.
    The pay cuts suggested and the pension levy are the governments way of not dealing with the real problems...the pension levy conviently arrived after the government stated that they would use the pension reserve to help out the banks...da dah the pension levy was born!
    If they tackled public sector reform they would find the savings they need but that is too big a job so what the hell lets just take a chunk from everyone.

I really don't get the one side vs the other...the whole country is messed up and the government hasn't got a clue how to fix it :rolleyes:

Mcloke wrote: »
    As a non public sector worker...before people start to think I am :rolleyes: What do you expect them to do...sit back and take it?

They wouldn't be sitting back and taking it, their unions are already at the table negotiating with the Government and their previous rallies showed the Government that if they wanted the unions could pull off large scale strike action. The one day strike doesn't achieve anything other than showing what everyone already knew, i.e. that public sector workers were angry and were more than willing to engage in industrial action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

As a foreigner said to me yesterday . "ze public service in Ireland , Mein Gott, ze are paid so much, are zey mad ? All zey will do is cost the country millions".
    I did not have the heart to tell him they are the highest paid in the known world ( and has increased this year from 966 to 973 per week )....and government borrowing to support their pay and pensions is one of the main reasons the country is borrowing 500 million per week, and increasing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

jimmmy wrote: »
    As a foreigner said to me yesterday . "ze public service in Ireland , Mein Gott, ze are paid so much, are zey mad ? All zey will do is cost the country millions".
    I did not have the heart to tell him they are the highest paid in the known world ( and has increased this year from 966 to 973 per week )....and government borrowing to support their pay and pensions is one of the main reasons the country is borrowing 500 million per week, and increasing.

Jeepers, Jimmmy you've no problem telling everyone here on boards your opinion about public service pay or was it because its not technically true (as its based on averages) and you didn't have the courage of your convictions. You've disappointed me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Yes, the public sector unions are absolutely right to strike on the 24th. Not only that, but everyone else should do the same too.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Turty3

I'm a PS worker who will be on a picket line next Tuesday. I have already taken an 8% pay cut this year (income levy + pension levy) and I can't afford anymore. Soon I'll be better off on the dole claiming for my OH who's been out of work eight months and gets nothing from the DSFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Turty3 wrote: »
    I'm a PS worker who will be on a picket line next Tuesday. I have already taken an 8% pay cut this year (income levy + pension levy) and I can't afford anymore. Soon I'll be better off on the dole claiming for my OH who's been out of work eight months and gets nothing from the DSFA.

Everyone in a job pays the income levy, and you didn't lose 7% on your take home pay with the pension levy - more like 4%. You also retain (for a small premium) that nice pension that no-one outside the public sector could afford to buy. You're not doing too badly in the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

alastair wrote: »
    Everyone in a job pays the income levy, and you didn't lose 7% on your take home pay with the pension levy - more like 4%. You also retain (for a small premium) that nice pension that no-one outside the public sector could afford to buy. You're not doing too badly in the bigger picture.
    There is also deflation at the moment.

Some/most (not an expert on this) PS workers got two pay increases in 2008:
    2.5% March 1, 2008 (Towards 2016)
    2.5% Sept 1, 2008 (Towards 2016):
    http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/cl0106_2008rates.xls

So I don't think there should be a strike. The country is spending approx
    500m more each week than it is taking in. It can't keep borrowing such sums of money - there has to be cut backs in expenditure and I think the public sector pay bill (and pension bill - which wasn't touch by the pension levy) needs to be one of the areas. Don't necessarily get rid of huge numbers of people, just reduce the wages a bit. Given there is deflation, no wage cut would be a bit like a pay increase!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

I think they're dead right, and hopefully they'll encourage more to do the same. Atleast they're doing something to try put pressure on a mediocre government, the term political activism springs to mind. Can't see why anyone wouldn't see this as progressive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I do not think public servants should go on strike. Most have reasonable working conditions, a certain job, and great pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

nuac wrote: »
    I do not think public servants should go on strike. Most have reasonable working conditions, a certain job, and great pensions.

Yes but they are receiving unneeded pay cuts like the rest of us and worried about their jobs. Many of whom have received pay cuts already and are gonna get f**ked over in this budget. Wouldn't you be angry? Can you blame them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

jimmmy wrote: »

jimmy, you must be the friendliest man in Ireland, you know people from everywhere! With contacts like yours you could be a success at anything

Thanks for sharing this foreigners opinion. I've certainly read many of your other posts with "Now I have a friend that ....."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

As I understand it, we're not supposed to have a debate in this thread, just give your reason for your vote. So I won't reply and think other people should try to avoid posting more than one post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement