Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My future career

Options
  • 27-11-2004 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Im only 15 years old at the mo but want to get a head start in a career.First of all,I want a contracting job of some sort,wheter it be to do with computers,construction etc. im not sure at this point.What I want to know is:what kind of contractors are the company you work for hiring quite alot?
    I got the idea for this kind of job when one of my dads friends,who is working on a contract for the company my dad works for,for the past while making web portals and getting shidloads for it,the guy travels all over the place doing jobs for companys such as intel(ireland) ikea and more,basically living the highlife..And he gets to do all this just because he has study'd stuff that not many other people have. Looks to me like if you make the right choice in terms of what you learn,you could seriously reap the benefits,which is why I want a head start,find something now that is going to be hugely demanded in a few years make my mark :)

On a side note;
    Say you have 2mil in your pocket,how hard would it be to double/triple that by buying different currencies,can you actually make serious money in the exchange buisness?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

It's kinda difficult to find something that's going to be a niche in a few years time. I would suggest that it's more important to find something that you like doing, rather than something that may command a big wage, but that you may hate.

As regards doubling or tripling your money from Currency exchange, theoretically you could do it in a day, or you could lose it all overnight. It depends on a number of things, but it is a risky business unless you understand Economics and the complexities of the markets involved.

Best of luck with whatever it is you end up doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

A few points;

1) Forget about the companies/markets/jobs that are hiring/paying well now. Think about the ones that are going to be hiring/paying well when you get out of college in 7-8 years time.
    2) Don't make career decisions based on one story. Your buddy's lifestyle may be glamourous - but there are ups & downs with contracting. He may not boast too much about the dry periods of weeks/months with no work. He may not boast about missing out on company-funded pension entitlements or health insurance.
    3) Don't make a career decision based on the type of employee contract (e.g. full-time vs contractor). Figure out what kind of work you are going to enjoy, then find the best way to structure the contractual relationship.
    4) Think long-term - If your friends skills are that marketable, it is guaranteed that he'll have a pile of younger, hungrier, smarter guys snapping at his heels in 6 months time offering the same service for cheaper.
    5) A few people have made fortunes from currency speculation. Many others have lost fortunes. If you think you can double your money via currency speculation, try it with the €50 you have now rather than waiting for the millions & see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You want work that:

(a) You like.
    (b) You are good at.
    (c) Someone will pay you for.

Advertisement