Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste at Government level

Options
  • 14-11-2009 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

A lot of topics here focus around public sector pay and social welfare.

There is also a massive amount of waste at Government level which needs to be looked at. I think a lot of what the state is trying to do is divide the public over issues of public sector pay etc., then conquer by passing through the budget with the least amount of resistance as possible.

I am certain that they themselves will do everything in their power not to have to take a hit to their own pockets.

John O' Donoghue isn't the only TD who's fiddling the books, and FF aren't the only party-they're all at it! Any ideas of what can be done to get all of this waste out in the open?

A lot of government contracts also haven't been scrutinised, I'd like to see this getting a bit more attention instead of just public sector pay and sw all the time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

We need an expenses scandal like they had in Britain, would get rid of most of the crooked ones.

Would get the rest to tighten their belts as well, suprised the media have only dug up stuff on O'Donoghue, I'd imagine there is a large amount of them pilfering the coffers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    We need an expenses scandal like they had in Britain, would get rid of most of the crooked ones.

Would get the rest to tighten their belts as well, suprised the media have only dug up stuff on O'Donoghue, I'd imagine there is a large amount of them pilfering the coffers.

If you notice the likes of Enda Kenny didn't go overboard with the expenses scandal. For example, when O' Donoghue apologised Enda Kenny almost went silent on the issue.

Much much more than what meets the eye here and all the parties are trying their best to keep in very quiet.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In JODs defence, he wasn't shown to be crooked nor was he found to have been "fiddling the books".
    He apeared to have made the [absolute] most out of the situation available to him (and his wife)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

JOD broke no law and breached no guidelines. Though having his wife avail of perks an expenses is strongly pushing it! The people of South Kerry didn't elect her
    In the end he faced the public wrath and stepped down

There are many others who could have been selected as a scapegoat.
    And the opposition was noticably quiet (bar Eamonn Gilmore) as some of their members are the worst offenders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

segaBOY wrote: »
    A lot of topics here focus around public sector pay and social welfare.

There is also a massive amount of waste at Government level which needs to be looked at. I think a lot of what the state is trying to do is divide the public over issues of public sector pay etc., then conquer by passing through the budget with the least amount of resistance as possible.

I am certain that they themselves will do everything in their power not to have to take a hit to their own pockets.

John O' Donoghue isn't the only TD who's fiddling the books, and FF aren't the only party-they're all at it! Any ideas of what can be done to get all of this waste out in the open?

A lot of government contracts also haven't been scrutinised, I'd like to see this getting a bit more attention instead of just public sector pay and sw all the time.

When people talk of public servants they think of nurses, fire brigade personnell, paramedics and the garda. But politicians are also public servants and as such the rules that apply to nurses etc should also apply to them. Unfortunately they don't. If a nurse were to be found guilty of misconduct he/she would be struck off the nursing register and could never work as a nurse again. If a person is found guilty of having defrauded the social welfare system they are fined and/or jailed. If a politician is proved to have been milking the system they get a slap on the wrist and then stand again in the next election. Maybe it would focus their minds if, when shown to have milked the system, they were debarred from standing for public office again along with having a substantial portion of their very generous pensions docked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is a difference between fraus and milking the system.
    Any politician who milks the system (them all?) does so in a fully legal manner and you can't punish someone for sticking within the rules!
    Think before posting please!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

kbannon There is a difference between fraus and milking the system.
    Any politician who milks the system (them all?) does so in a fully legal manner and you can't punish someone for sticking within the rules!
    Think before posting please!

You can if the person made up the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

this website should clarify and clear a few peoples minds - http://www.financedublin.com/debtclock.php

Advertisement