Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drumcliffe Roadblock

Options
  • 14-11-2009 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Driving towards Drumcliffe, County Sligo, this afternoon I saw the traffic was halted and blue lights flashing.

My first thought was "accident" so I slowed to a crawl and put on my flashers to warn traffic behind me. When I reached the village I found that traffic was being halted by people collecting money for the local women's soccer team and the blue lights belonged to a squad car parked nearby. The Garda was standing there, hands in pockets, watching the collectors.

The collectors were
    • obstructing traffic;
    • endangering themselves and others;
    • collecting without a licence (presumably)
    and your friendly Garda did nothing.

An hour later and the situation was unchanged.

On 24th the GRA and friends will be telling us how difficult a Garda's life is - constantly in danger etc. - and how they deserve their huge salaries.
    I say "b*ll*cks!"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Essexboy wrote: »
    Driving towards Drumcliffe, County Sligo, On 24th the GRA and friends will be telling us how difficult a Garda's life is - constantly in danger etc. - and how they deserve their huge salaries.
    I say "b*ll*cks!"

Agree and the N15 has a bloody awful fatility record and this spot is desparate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Driving towards Drumcliffe, County Sligo, this afternoon I saw the traffic was halted and blue lights flashing.

My first thought was "accident" so I slowed to a crawl and put on my flashers to warn traffic behind me. When I reached the village I found that traffic was being halted by people collecting money for the local women's soccer team and the blue lights belonged to a squad car parked nearby. The Garda was standing there, hands in pockets, watching the collectors.

The collectors were
    • obstructing traffic;

On 24th the GRA and friends will be telling us how difficult a Garda's life is - constantly in danger etc. - and how they deserve their huge salaries.
    I say "b*ll*cks!"

LOL :D, have you not thought that maybe the guard was there to make sure the situation was organised safely? These roadside charity collections are ridiculous though, licensed or not. Maybe ok at traffic lights but its not right to be stopping traffic on an open road national primary route. There is now officially no escaping the chuggers.

It was the local GAA ladies team btw. They're in the all Ireland final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

The collectors were
    • obstructing traffic;

I say "b*ll*cks!"

For God's sake will you lighten up. The club need a few bob for their upcoming final that's all. I have never known such a bunch of moaners like some of you... One week its someone moaning about the people in Globe having too much, and then there was the poor fella going on about not having enough sauce on his plate in Donaghys. What about your man cribbing about the bag-packers at Tesco and now.... THIS!
    Give them a break, or better still... a € perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Jabby wrote: »
    For God's sake will you lighten up. The club need a few bob for their upcoming final that's all. I have never known such a bunch of moaners like some of you... One week its someone moaning about the people in Globe having too much, and then there was the poor fella going on about not having enough sauce on his plate in Donaghys. What about your man cribbing about the bag-packers at Tesco and now.... THIS!

Its a GAA club, not a charity ffs!!! Why would they expect us to pay for their passtime? If they want to play football, thats great, but I see no reason for anybody else to subsidise it

high horse wrote: »
    Its a GAA club, not a charity ffs!!! Why would they expect us to pay for their passtime? If they want to play football, thats great, but I see no reason for anybody else to subsidise it

'passtime'?:confused: Exactly. if you don't want to give them anything then just pass by. Stop whinging about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

'passtime'?:confused: Exactly. if you don't want to give them anything then just pass by. Stop whinging about it.

You could NOT pass by - that is the point. They brought traffic to a stop by standing in front of vehicles.

A local team should ask for local contributions - They live in the wealthiest area of Sligo - and not harass people passing through.

If one of the collectors was struck by a passing car who would pick up the tab? the club or the unfortunate driver?

You could NOT pass by - that is the point. They brought traffic to a stop by standing in front of vehicles.

A local team should ask for local contributions - They live in the wealthiest area of Sligo - and not harass people passing through.

If one of the collectors was struck by a passing car who would pick up the tab? the club or the unfortunate driver?

Ah now, they did not stand in front of any cars.
    It was very easy to drive on if you wanted. I passed through it four times as I don't live too far away and I saw at least four or five people driving on through, which I think you are more than entitled to do to be fair.

I didn't realise Drumcliffe was the wealthiest area of Sligo, and even if it is, I don't think that should stop the girls appealing for a few bob for their day out.

With the Garda car there, there was absolutely zero chance of one of the collectors getting hit unless the driver or the collector was particularly careless in which case there would be no doubt who was liable. The Garda car did ensure the collection was carried out safely.

Having said all that, I don't think this stopping of traffic on a main open road for charity collections is on. Roads are for driving. At the very least, I passed one in Grange a few months back which they did at the pedestrian crossing whenever the lights went red which was a far better and safer and legal idea.

It was one way of getting the traffic to slow down going through Rathcormac. I can't understand why the unmarked squad car isn't there more often. Fish. Barrell. Hopefully the new traffic calming might help before an articulated lorry or whatever ends up in the shop or pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

For Gods sake will you lighten up! :cool:

I come here to have a moan about things, not to listen to read about someone moaning about people moaning here.
    All these topics are Sligo related Jabby, and that is what this forum is for. So people moan Big deal? If you don't like it, don't post, or better still feck off somewhere else.

Have you nothing better to be doing than moaning about people moaning?

Oh, the irony of your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

I suppose the real question is "do we want to live in a society with common rules which are enforced, irrespective of fear or favour?"

It seems that a large section of the population would answer "no"!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Mr NoTV

why do they need money for sport? it's a game after all. their game and therefore at their expense. the traffic is bad enough without stunts like this.

• Advertisement

They made €6k apparently.

Big_Mac wrote: »

I come here to have a moan about things, not to listen to read about someone moaning about people moaning here.
    All these topics are Sligo related Jabby, and that is what this forum is for. So people moan Big deal? If you don't like it, don't post, or better still feck off somewhere else.

Oh, the irony of your post.

:):):) Not bad..made me laugh at least.

See... We don't alway moan, we make people laugh too....occasionally

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

See... We don't alway moan, we make people laugh too....occasionally

Do you have a link to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Do you have a link to that?

:D:D:D:D:DLOL

Right There! Yessirthankyouverymuchindeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

i agree Big Mac this is the spot to vent your anger.

You will definitely will have something to moan about now that Tiscali is closing down.

Were will you post your pointless responses from now.;)

to stay on thread,Best of Luck with the game this weekend and hope the money raising went well.

Dazzler88 wrote: »
    i agree Big Mac this is the spot to vent your anger.

You will definitely will have something to moan about now that Tiscali is closing down.

Were will you post your pointless responses from now.;)

to stay on thread,Best of Luck with the game this weekend and hope the money raising went well.

You trying to be funny?

Hows life as a Petrol Station Pub runnig prison officer?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

You trying to be funny?

Hows life as a Petrol Station Pub runnig prison officer?
    life is good.I gave up on the idea of leasing a pub.Im currently leasing a Petrol station and buisness is good,thanks for asking.Its great to know that I will still have something to get up for in the morning.

Thanks for your concern.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I thought the GAA was loaded?? could central office not give them a few bob?

• Advertisement
Advertisement