Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dual boot XPPro and Win 7 Pro w/ two HDD

• 14-11-2009 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Help!

I just installed a new mb (ASUS M3A78_EM), hdd, (WD 300 gb), AMD 6000+ cpu. I now have two hdd, one with xp pro and the other completely empty. I downloaded win 7 iso from here (http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65805/X15-65805.iso

Unpacked the iso file and burned the files to a dvd that look like this (see attachment). Changed the boot sequence to have the dvd first and ...... restart the computer with the dvd in and the computer has a black screen with a little cursor blinking for about 5 seconds and then windows starts.

Please help

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Ted/Desktop/Clipboard01.jpg[/IMG]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Seems to me like you have the correct things on ISO file, well the same as me anyhow. Whether those files got onto your DVD without getting corrupted is another thing. That is what seems to be your issue.

win7.jpg

Perhaps you should try and burn another DVD at a slower speed ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,996 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ted_k wrote: »
    Unpacked the iso file
    Why :confused:

You're copying the files but none of the important stuff. Like the ISO's volume information. Or Boot data. not properly anyway.

Get image burning software, and burn the ISO directly to disk. These were the steps Microsoft issued to Beta users. This is how its done.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3317

very important: Extracting != Burning. You need to Burn the ISO. Extracting never comes into it.

ImgBurn is 100% freeware and perfectly legal with legitimate uses as shown with the windows 7 beta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ted_k

I used Nero to burn a dvd and selected create a boot disc. Received an erroe message that the files were too large and needed to have a UFD (???) type. Then the program moved along and allowed me to burn a bootable dvd. Ran it and a dos screen appeared with a program from Caldera. After a few lines it prompted me at DR-DOS a:/ with a blinking cursor. I have no idea what this means? Any help. From what I have read it is not supposed to be this hard to have two hdd's with different os's.

Overheal wrote: »
    Why :confused:

You're copying the files but none of the important stuff. Like the ISO's volume information. Or Boot data. not properly anyway.

Get image burning software, and burn the ISO directly to disk. These were the steps Microsoft issued to Beta users. This is how its done.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3317

very important: Extracting != Burning. You need to Burn the ISO. Extracting never comes into it.

ImgBurn is 100% freeware and perfectly legal with legitimate uses as shown with the windows 7 beta.

Thanks, but I need to make a dvd and this is for cd's

I'll let you know. Oh, if I do dont get the message to boot from cd dvd and you say I need to tinker with the bios, what do I look for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,996 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'll let you know. Oh, if I do dont get the message to boot from cd dvd and you say I need to tinker with the bios, what do I look for?
    Itll be in the startup tab of some such description, the Boot Order.

If youve never tinkered with this before, assume its set to Default, in which case you wont need to change anything, the CD drive will already be the primary boot device. Usually it goes Floppy->CD/DVD->USB->Master Hard Drive->Networking Device

But since nobody has a floppy anymore and people rarely have bootable USBs and DVDs in their drives, when you start your PC it loads from Hard Disk per usual.

If you have the disk in the drive, you go to reboot, and it goes through the normal PC startup instead of loading from the disc, you will know you need to change the boot order. otherwise leave the BIOS alone.
    I used Nero to burn a dvd and selected create a boot disc. Received an erroe message that the files were too large and needed to have a UFD (???) type. Then the program moved along and allowed me to burn a bootable dvd. Ran it and a dos screen appeared with a program from Caldera. After a few lines it prompted me at DR-DOS a:/ with a blinking cursor. I have no idea what this means? Any help. From what I have read it is not supposed to be this hard to have two hdd's with different os's.
    Yeah, dont know what thats about. Nero issue. I would use IMGburn as suggested. This is how I got my windows 7 beta disc off the ground.

You're trying to create a new bootable DVD but you already have an image so this isn't necessary - it usually only applies to floppy images anyway. Cancel out of that box, go to the Recorder menu and choose Burn Image. Or just use ImgBurn like Overheal said.

Well, still no go. I had the boot sequence set up to boot from the dvd drive first when I started this upgrade. I started a thread at ASUS so maybe someone can help.

All is good. Thanks to all of you folks for the help!:):)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you can also use microsoft's cdburn with XP - command line tool
    or http://cdburnerxp.se/ - general cd burning program that works with most versions of windows

cdburn is in these tools http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9D467A69-57FF-4AE7-96EE-B18C4790CFFD

A disk can only boot if it has the correct software at the start of the disk , this is why you need to burn the ISO properly , also in part why you need to install windows rather than just copy files from the disk to the second hard drive

NB. if you remove the first drive , the second drive won't start up by itself , until you add these startup files from the disk again

• Advertisement
Advertisement