Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torchlight

Options
  • 14-11-2009 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

Haven't seen a thread on this game (mods please delete if so). Bought it today on Steam – nice game. It's basically Diablo with cute graphics and emphasis on toning down any of the frustrating elements from it (inventory management).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Siegfried

I've heard it looks like diablo, with a "cute look" like u said.
    But i'm crurious about something, there is a story in the game? A good story? That makes sense?

because i hate hack n slash games with no context.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

The story is very bare – just enough to justify you going to X and killing Y. But this is what I was looking for. I've been playing Dragon age which has 10,000's words of history/lore etc. and this is a nice change of pace to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Oh yes :) tried the demo last week, which seems quite extensive. Brilliant, love the game will be buying next week. :D

The developer plans to have a a free to play MMO based on Torchlight ready for release in 2 years :p time, i will keep an eye on it i think. :)

Mod tools were released for the game yesterday :D woo!

No too much of story huh?
    I'll start playing dragon age this week, gonna have plenty of it.

Another question, the is difficult? If it is, i would really like it, hack n slash that have some challenge is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

I'm at lvl30 and it's pretty hard at times - think I've gimped my character :p

dual wield pistols is nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

Wossack wrote: »
    I'd at lvl30 it's pretty hard - think I've gimped my character :p

dual wield pistols is nice

Bring up the console, and type 'respecpotion', lets you redo all your spell things.

yea had the game for a week now. Love it altogether! You can play it for 10 mins at a time if you have very little time, burt still get something out of it. Also ya can play it for hours at a time.

And big selling point for me was the low System Reqs, with the whole crappy setup and that. The only bad thing bou it is, I'm dieing ta get Diablo 3 now... and prob gonna need a whole new PC for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I'm at dungeon level 33 on this, it's pretty fun, but can get into a bit of a grind for good loot and power ups instead of following a story.

Length of game
    the story/last boss is at about level 35, but you can play on until dungeon level 100 or so. The enemies level up, your character doesnt so it soon gets ridiculously hard but you can play the same character until you get bored instead of the game just ending.

The inventory system works great, having a pet to send back to town to sell extra gear is a life saver. It means you can just carry on killing beasties and so on without a break.

Another nice bonus is that you can retire your character and leave his equipment for your next one.

Only problem I've found is that I get screen lags when there is a big boss off screen or else when the screen is full of enemies. This is the Steam version and I've a very solid gaming PC so it's pretty annoying.

Still a great game for 20EUR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Niska

lafortezza wrote: »
    The inventory system works great, having a pet to send back to town to sell extra gear is a life saver. It means you can just carry on killing beasties and so on without a break.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/11/4/

okay then, you encourage me to play this game, gonna download it now. But i has to wait until i'm finished completely with dragon sweet ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I was doing well with this game and enjoying it up to today, when it crashed and corrupted my save file.

I had to start the game again and decided to turn on godmode to quickly get back to where I was. Now I've just noticed that my character is labelled a cheater :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

been playing the demo today as an alchemist on hard.
    The game is fun. The demo is pretty big - haven't finished it yet. Worth downloading as a game in itself.

edit: Turned it back on and went down the next staircase to be told that the demo was finished. Still quite big for a demo and worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

You definitely have to play it on hard at least to get the best out of it.

Don't suppose anyone knows were I could get save files to restore my games as close as possible to where it was before my crash? Not really bothered by skills\items just want to get back to the stage I was at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

'Normal' difficulty is, allegedly, mind-numbingly easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I don't enjoy having to click on each character numerous times to hit them, especially the quick ones that move all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Torchlight - £7.50 (today only) http://www.direct2drive.co.uk/holiday/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

alchemist is pretty easy on hard also. Hold down the mouse button to fire guided missiles while your minions go melee.

Advertisement