Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloghan Lake - Trout

Options
  • 15-11-2009 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Well I haven't done a report on this place yet so here goes.

It is my fave fishery so far, big lake with plenty of hot spots and good sized fish. Pallas has a lot of small fish but Cloghan has a good mixture of Brownies and Rainbows at a good size.

This morning was very tough, no movement from the rainbows but I had 1 good brownie, my biggest so far at 1.5lbs, on an goldhead hares ear, it doesn't look it in the pic but believe me it was a good fish.

photo0335w.jpg

Then nothing for a couple of hours and suddenly they were on, stripping boobies accross the surface drove them mental. 2 more brownies just under a pound (one with a gammy fin like Nemo) and this nice 2lb rainbow. It was fin perfect, just look at the tail!!!

photo0336b.jpg

There were 4 of us again this week, I had 4 in total and only 1 other fish caught in our group. All went back safely. There was 1 other guy there and he had a great 3.25lb rainbow on a cats whisker that fought for ages, great fish. We had the pleasure of netting it for him.

That's one thing I will say about the place is that there is always someone to give a hand or share advice.

We are having our last outing on 29th Nov as the lake closes on the 30th so join us if you can!!! But it will be tough..... :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Eriesniper

Is that lake still open and where should i buy a ticket, any tips should i got there thanKS!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

Eriesniper wrote: »
    Is that lake still open and where should i buy a ticket, any tips should i got there thanKS!

if you go into cloghan youll find a petrol station on the road the lake is on,(1st exit on roundabout coming from athlone) you'll get your ticket in there 15euro for the day... was on it last wed, had 2 fish, 3lb 8oz and 2lb 5oz rainbows.... wasnt many fish showing and had no interest in the dry flies so went to wets and got those 2 on nymphs,,, missed another 3.... tough going in this heat.... previous outing had 7 all on dries, with 2 fish just under 4lb and the best 4lb 9oz roughly 3 weeks ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Would it be better then pallas lake? bay and where is it like offaly

Would it be better then pallas lake? bay and where is it like offaly
    i never fished pallas lake... yeah google cloghan its in offaly :D..... it isnt an easy lake either, can be difficult at times..... its a bit like a box of chocolates ;)

haha! :D thanks going down saterday or sunday (just wondering would a fast sinking line work with some lures or nymphs) thanks!

• Advertisement

haha! :D thanks going down saterday or sunday (just wondering would a fast sinking line work with some lures or nymphs) thanks!
    sorry for being a bit slow:) dry fly fishing at times works very well, or nymphs worked slow,i used floating line the last day and czech nymphs, hooked 5 landed 2.. 3lb 8oz was the best... wouldnt rise to the dries at all, yet on my previous visit i landed 7 all on dries!!! like i said... ya never know what ya gona get!!! :D

Thanks! im going to ballina for day or so, i'll go next saturday or sunday thanks

Advertisement