Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I cancel motor insurance?

Options
  • 15-11-2009 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

First ever car insurance and have paid 5 months insurance premiums by direct debit. 3rd party fire and theft.

Crashed car recently......car is total write off!!

Just wondering what the general view is, ie can I cancel the insurance
    as I'm paying this and don't have a car!!! Would there be any repercussions?

Not in a position to buy another car as my job not very safe at the
    moment.

All replies appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Which insurance company? They all have different T&Cs

From quinn
    You may cancel your policy at any time by notifying us and returning your certificate and disc of insurance. If you cancel within the first 14 days of cover, you will pay for the length of time you have been covered, plus an administration fee of €50. If you cancel your policy after the first 14 days, but still within the first year of insurance with us, we will work out your refund according to our cancellation rates which can be found in your policy booklet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

The policy is now null and void as that which was the subject of the insurance is no longer in existence. However, it may be the case that the insurer will seek the remainder of the premium for the year - insurance by DD is effectively a credit agreement (it cannot be offered to minors) the insurer assumes the cost of the burden upfront and you repay them monthly.

If they have suffered loss, the may seek the balance due. Call them and ask.

Advertisement