Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky diving training

Options
  • 15-11-2009 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi all,
    anyone here into jumping out of planes?
    Thinking of taking up skydiving at uni, and they've got a couple of different training courses RAPS and AFF being the two main ones if i remember my acronyms correctly.
    Anyone got advice, done these, work in the area?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

which college are you in?

iv done 6 static line / raps jumps then i did aff in the states

if you have the money go for aff its harder to get the weather for it over here

if you are a little tight for cash and arent sure about forking out over a grand then do a static line jump you dont have to have blue skies and it having that connection to the plane the first time and not having to pull yourself does wonders for the nerves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

University of Limerick have a skydiving club jumping at Skydiveireland In Nenagh Co. Tipperary.

www.skydiveireland.ie

Great bunch of guys there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Spent my whole summer looking at clouds waiting to jump on an AFF course in the Irish Parachute Club. Really couldn't reccomend trying it in this country, we just don't get the weather to be able to predicatbly jump. By the end of the summer I had got one jump in.

Got talking to some guys down there going through the static line program, they had also spent days on the ground waiting to jump although they were a little more succesful. Think they got about 3 jumps done through out the Summer :/.

Its a great rush and something I'll definately go back to when I have some money, but I'll be going abroad to do it. Pay the extra couple of hundred and get a week in Spain with much better chances of jumping and much less time between jumps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭airvan

I fly for a certain skydive school down in Tipp, mentioned here. The AFF course seems like a good idea but in practice it's hard to get done in this country. It's best to do it in Spain or somewhere with predictable weather. So you're better off doing a static line course and going from there. Once involved you can make contacts and see about getting more experience abroad in places like Spain or the USA.

Having said that we had a very good summer and only missed a few days due to weather.

The university club in Limerick run the ground part of the course in the college and then jump, often on a wednesday. I know several who managed two or three jumps on a day. You can jump at weekends too although it's busier with tandems etc. But a slot will always be found for a paying customer. There is, I think another club forming in a Galway university. Is that the one you're interested in?

The way it is, with skydiving is that you get involved in the whole scene. Help out at the dropzone etc. This is a good way of getting jumps when slots become available.

I can't understand how the static line course guys mentioned by Ciaran only got three jumps in the summer. With us, if you turn up on a good day. You will probably get a jump, sometimes more than one. If you turn up regularly you will very quickly advance through the stages depending on your abilities. We have at least one static line drop every operational day and with early freefall students, we can drop people on the way up to higher altitudes with tandems on board.

Several of our students went from static to high level freefall this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭rustynutz

airvan wrote: »
    I fly for a certain skydive school down in Tipp, mentioned here. The AFF course seems like a good idea but in practice it's hard to get done in this country. It's best to do it in Spain or somewhere with predictable weather. So you're better off doing a static line course and going from there. Once involved you can make contacts and see about getting more experience abroad in places like Spain or the USA.

Having said that we had a very good summer and only missed a few days due to weather.

The university club in Limerick run the ground part of the course in the college and then jump, often on a wednesday. I know several who managed two or three jumps on a day. You can jump at weekends too although it's busier with tandems etc. But a slot will always be found for a paying customer. There is, I think another club forming in a Galway university. Is that the one you're interested in?

The way it is, with skydiving is that you get involved in the whole scene. Help out at the dropzone etc. This is a good way of getting jumps when slots become available.

I can't understand how the static line course guys mentioned by Ciaran only got three jumps in the summer. With us, if you turn up on a good day. You will probably get a jump, sometimes more than one. If you turn up regularly you will very quickly advance through the stages depending on your abilities. We have at least one static line drop every operational day and with early freefall students, we can drop people on the way up to higher altitudes with tandems on board.

Several of our students went from static to high level freefall this summer.

I done static line a few years ago in IPC,it took me a year to get my licence,partly because I live 2 hours away but mostly because of the weather.I went to Russia jumping with a group from IPC soon after,two lads went specificly to do AAF,in three days both were at the same stage as I was in 1 year.So if you can afford it go abroad to somewhere with good weather,either way don't be put off,skydiving is the best fun you are ever likely to have and you meet a lot of sound people...enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Skydiveireland is having a sale I see..Hmmm:)

http://www.skydiveireland.ie/

Advertisement