Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia screen damaged

• 15-11-2009 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi Guys,
    Im new here but I have found the threads helpful in the past with tech issues. I have a ridiculous problem. I bought a new jacket last week and two days ago my mobile phone flew out of the silky lined pocket, even with it half way zipped up. I was cycling, if I had been walking I would have felt or heard it. Today I bought a new nokia, for another 80, the first one was 100 euros in july. Im not currently working and we all know theres a recession on. I managed to find the phone, but it had been rolled over by a car. The screen is all cracked on the inside. I bought it in vodafone and their not the kindest in this particular store. Im gutted. Is there any come back with this? Can ANYTHING be done. I rang it, so its ringing and you can hear but the screens ****ed. Any help would be appreciated as they might be closed tomoro.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Whats the model number, you might be able to get a replacement screen on ebay. I got one for my wife's 6220 when the screen got busted after it was dropped onto a tiled floor, cost something like €16 in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 oisin_

Nokia 5130, its all cracked on the inside. I really dont know how to repair phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

oisin_ wrote: »
    Nokia 5130, its all cracked on the inside. I really dont know how to repair phones.

theres loads of tutorials showing you step by step of how to do it....visit Google or youtube and search "replace screen for XXX mobile phone"

should find what yer looking for.

I looked it up on youtube how to replace the lcd screen. I'll never be able to do that and there could be more damage done. There has to be some way to get insurance for this. Its CRAZY.

• Advertisement

guys I dont have a clue, and the phone was bought today, it was 4hours old, had made one call to customer care. there couldbe further damage done to it as it was probably rolled over by a car. There was a store in ennis before and they were always so helpful, but the staff are gone. If it were them they would replace straight away. I really feel im entitled to compensation by Regatta, the jacket i bought has an extremely silky lined pocket, slithery silky. I just didnt realise it was that bad. Im so lucky my ipod didnt walk too.
    Anyway, the phone was 4hours old, surely they can repair it, a multimillion dollar copmpany. Im ****in gutted.

If you bring it back to the shop they'll probably send it off for repair which could take a few weeks and probably cost you close to what you paid for the phone. They'd be under no obligation to not charge for the repair work as no warranty covers how the damage to your phone occurred, how long you had the phone is irrespective also.

So either buy an immediate replacement or go down the repair route and wait and pay for it to be fixed but either way always zip up your pockets when cycling, silky lining or no silky lining :)

Having said all that ^

Buy the replacement LCD screen and give the repair tutorial a go. The screen might be the only thing damaged and if you replace it (the repair is relatively easy) then you'll be back up and running and chuffed with yourself for fixing it :)

Genuinely dont have the money or the skills to repair this actual phone. Last time i buy in vodafone, carphone warehouse are more compassionate and offer reasonable insurance. Just rang vodafone. . same story- lovely, 180euro completely gone down the tube. No money these days, no job. Im gutted. Thanks for the post. I'll be enquiring about insurance and contacting Regatta. Im due to insure my apartment belongings . . . but we'll see if theres legislation to help now. There has to be some comeback here for poor me. Im not another brick in the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Carphone have a rep for not giving a toss too so you won't get any different attitude from them, why didn't you take insurance out on it?

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭kirving

I don't maen to be harsh, but It's noone eles's fault. You didn't zip up the pocket fully while cycling, Regatta are hardly responsible! Vodafone have no obligation to fix it either, it wasn't a fault with the phone.

I hope you get it fixed cheaply, I do, but take responsibility for it. Have a look on adverts.ie or ebay, you can probably get one for around 100. Alternatively, just pick up the cheapest phone you can find for like €30 until you can afford a better one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

forget about it the shop will only say that it went out of the shop in excellent condition and you caused the damage so it's up to you to fix it !

I disagree Kevin, the lining of the jacket pocket is dangerous. Ive found out what i needed to know now. The only come back is contents insurance and im reporting the issue to regatta. Thank you to viking for responding so late lastnight. A bit of a tragedy for me loosing two mobiles in perfect condition but i must hope i'll get work here to manage better. Of cpurse they were my phonesbut they wete both total accidents that could have happend to anyone. That ****ing jacket, both companies are multi mollion, im just a single person scraping by. I wont be reimbursed you'll be happy to know kevin. But do hope theres something there for these types if accidents with contents insurance. I'll probably keep the phone untilbi meet a technicuan who can repair it. I guess thats another route :) ok gotta dash

I called a technician today and hes sorting it out. Im ordering that screen in the morning, my friend reckons it will be ok with that. Nokias can take alot, hopefully it wasnt rolled over, i didnt see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

I dont want to be too harsh here but are you really saying thaht either Vodafone should repair your phone (because you dropped it!!) or else Regatta should compensate you (even though you did not zip up the pocket!)??

And did you really describe the pocket as "dangerous"?? :D

I think that you just chalk this one down to experience and move on!

Sorry!

I suppose thats all i can do. Nokia will be repaired and work pls God
    Im getting contents insurance for these minor but expensive accidents. And yes i do feel Regatte should either warn customers about the slippy pockets or adjust them. Now im feeling embarassed because of that last post- again. Pls delete thread thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

Sorry Oisin - I certainly never meant to embarrass you.

Just giving my opinion .........

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

oisin_ wrote: »
    both companies are multi mollion, im just a single person scraping by.

I don't think they would be multi million companies if they compensated for every careless accident involving their products where the user is at fault.

Regarding the accidental damage insurance, my advice would be to not take it. It's a luxury. Not a necessity (unlike health insurance etc). Especially if you're reasoning for taking the insurance is to cover a €100 phone and a Regatta jacket.

userod wrote: »
    I don't think they would be multi million companies if they compensated for every careless accident involving their products where the user is at fault.

Regarding the accidental damage insurance, my advice would be to not take it. It's a luxury. Not a necessity (unlike health insurance etc). Especially if you're reasoning for taking the insurance is to cover a €100 phone and a Regatta jacket.

Well Vodafone are multi Billion. I wasnt seeking advice around the contents thing. Im new here, and the thread is now closed- ive found out all i needed to know since yesterday. Thanks to everyone who posted. Have a great day :)

Advertisement