Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM Withdrawal Charge If Visa Account Is In Credit?

Options
  • 15-11-2009 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,

Can someone who KNOWS what they are talking about answer this one. There seems to be alot of confusion/misinformation about this and I don't want to start a long rambling thread as it is a simple question.

I had winnings from a gambling website credited to my standard Visa credit card account. Due to these winnings , the Visa account is now in credit.

SO MY QUESTION IS: Given that I am in credit, when I go to the ATM to withdraw this money with my Visa card, will any charge be applied, and if so what %....?

( NOTE: I'm not talking about withdrawing cash from a credit card that has a zero or negative balance as I already know from experience that Visa charges for this facility)

Many thanks,
    Cathal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I think you shouldnt be charged as you are in credit (and just removing your money instead of borrowing some of theirs)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I worked for CC company for years (quit it about 8 years ago). I also have personal experience of having used my CC while in credit. It may be different now but i expect your card will get a cash advance fee (varies), mine did. I had to ring the bank and argue my case with 3 different people :rolleyes:, they gave the fee back to me.

If i was in this situation now i would just get the issuer to send me a cheque for the amount of the credit balance or just make a 'free' purchase up to and not exceding the credit amount, would depend on the amount we are talking about.

Is your cc card issuer separate to your current account issuer?, if not then you can do an eletronic transfer to your current account. However, ive been out of this game for 8 years so id probably have to ring the bank to confirm, id imagine the policy differs from institution to institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It was a case once upon a time when you could have credit on a card and not be charged for it, but now it varies. Some (older) card products still offer this, but some newer ones do not - even from the same bank.

The only people who can tell you for sure is your card issuer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

There seems to be alot of confusion/misinformation about this and I don't want to start a long rambling thread as it is a simple question.

There is no way to give a simple answer without knowing which card and bank you are with as every bank has a different policy on this. Ive a BOI Student Card and I am not charged for this. But I know other banks do charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CathalF

Mask wrote: »
    There is no way to give a simple answer without knowing which card and bank you are with as every bank has a different policy on this. Ive a BOI Student Card and I am not charged for this. But I know other banks do charge.

Allied Irish Bank (A.I.B)
    Standard Visa Credit Card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

01 6685500 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

According to there term's and condition's the dont charge a fee.
    They charge about 23% for cash withdrawls but because your account is in credit it would(should) not apply.
    On some BOI cards they charge a fee for withdrawls and a percentage.
    Best to ring and make sure though ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

depends on where you are.

there could be a withdrawal fee outside out ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CathalF

BuffyBot wrote: »
    01 6685500 :)
    Thanks Buffy.

I called that number and was told that for a standard AIB Visa card no withdrawal charge applies as long as your card is in credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

CathalF wrote: »
    Thanks Buffy.

I called that number and was told that for a standard AIB Visa card no withdrawal charge applies as long as your card is in credit.

One bonus of the old standard card, where if it was the newer 'be' or 'click' cards you are charged if its in debt or credit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

I had a AIB 'Be' Visa and I was charged for withdrawing at an ATM when in credit, while with a PTSB 'Ice' Visa card I was not charged.

Both of these happened about two years ago, so things may have changed since then.

Advertisement