Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are people not allowed post about christmas in AH?

Options
  • 15-11-2009 3:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

I think people need to realise it's a discussion board, and some people want to discuss it. Others don't. BUt that's life.

Does this reflect people's opinions? Or the fact that a couple of mods don't like christmas.

I gave up posting in AH again because of the locking/moving/infracting. But I was reading a harmless thread about xmas, and then it got locked. It just seems bizarre that we're told what we can and can not talk about, outwith stuff that's offensive.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Thank you so much Tallaght. I just came here to start a thread about it myself. This is ridiculous, mods locking threads because it doesn't suit their taste. It's not what the mods like, or what the people like, if people are willing to discuss it, whether in a positive or negative manner, and it is not breaching the forum charter, then it's stupid to lock it.

This is ruining AH now, in this thread: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055739831&page=1 two mods had already posted in the thread, and not locked it. The mods who did post were having a normal discussion. Look at all the thanks the OP recieved. Clearly the post was appreciated by a decent amount of people, and there was positive and negative comments in the thread. Yet one mod still locked it.

Also, things like this were raised in the feedback thread in AH a while ago. Although the unnecessary bannings have cooled down, the thread locking like this for no good reason is still prevalent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The problem is that while you guys and others may like discussing it a lot of people don't want to see anything to do with christmas until closer to the date. We can't satisfy everyone all of the time. We are discussing this between us now though and we will come to a conclusion soonish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Can people not choose to not read a thread if it's about Xmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I appreciate that. BUt let "the market" decide.

I hate reading stuff about romas, and about how I'm a scabby public sector worker.

But I don't have to read those threads.

Christmas threads are harmless, and the OP went to the trouble of contributing a nice first post. It's pretty rude to just lock it on a whim.

I just don't get why xmas gets special treatment.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Screw it I'm gonna start a thread for people to vote whether they want christmas threads or not yet. That way the mods can't be accused of being biased or locking the threads that they don't like.

Edit: Just seeing your posts now. It wasn't locked on a whim, it was locked because a lot of people don't want the front page of after hours filled with christmas threads. Any way ye'll be able to vote on the issue soon enough.

• Advertisement

Can't say fairer than that :)

The problem is that while you guys and others may like discussing it a lot of people don't want to see anything to do with christmas until closer to the date. We can't satisfy everyone all of the time. We are discussing this between us now though and we will come to a conclusion soonish.
    I know ye're doing the best ye can to satisfy everyone, but really, people who don't like discussing Christmas won't like it being discussed full stop, not even on Christmas day. It's not like AH is going to be inundated in Christmas threads overnight or something, as though you're letting floodgates open when you give the green light for Christmas threads. In real life, people are talking about Christmas now whether some people like it or not, it's being discussed in real life. Why is AH an exception?

EDIT: Jesus ye're too fast for me. I'll leave my post stand as it is though. A poll sounds grand, it's still beyond common sense to me why we can't talk about Christmas, but if the majority decide, the majority decide.

jumpguy wrote: »
    I know ye're doing the best ye can to satisfy everyone, but really, people who don't like discussing Christmas won't like it being discussed full stop, not even on Christmas day. It's not like AH is going to be inundated in Christmas threads overnight or something, as though you're letting floodgates open when you give the green light for Christmas threads. In real life, people are talking about Christmas now whether some people like it or not, it's being discussed in real life. Why is AH an exception?

Yea, I agree it's less than ideal to put it to a vote, when no other type of threads get put to a vote. But it's probably as good as it gets for now.

The bah humbugs will all be coming out of the woodwork now :P

I <3 chrimbo :D

It's just such a contentious issue every year. If we lock them we get threads like this. If we leave them open we get threads like this. Either way we get threads like this. I'm hoping this will stop us getting threads like this. For the record, one year I banned discussion of christmas threads until a certain date (as the front page was getting clogged up with them and the posts stating it got thanked a lot if I remember so a lot of people would (or at least were) happy to be rid of them.

Here's the thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055740250

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Yea, I agree it's less than ideal to put it to a vote, when no other type of threads get put to a vote. But it's probably as good as it gets for now.

The bah humbugs will all be coming out of the woodwork now :P

I <3 chrimbo :D
    It's what I'm worried about (the bah humbags rising in a freaky mass of Christmas hatred). TBH, I find a poll still unacceptable, it's a lazy evasion of any logical reasoning and argument. It's now a case of if you don't like Christmas, say no, and if you do, say yes.

Every other thread non-Christmas related we don't like, we normally have to avoid it and not utter a word. But because some AH mods don't like Christmas, it's closed because it's "too early and some people don't like that".

Still, I guess a poll is the best we're gonna get, as you say.

• Advertisement

jumpguy wrote: »
    But because some AH mods don't like Christmas, it's closed because it's "too early and some people don't like that".

This has nothing to do with the mods. Every year we get people whining about christmas threads because it's too early. If the mods really didn't want them we could just chuck every last one over to Gift, festivities and party ideas which would be a very suitable home for them.

This has nothing to do with the mods. Every year we get people whining about christmas threads because it's too early. If the mods really didn't want them we could just chuck every last one over to Gift, festivities and party ideas which would be a very suitable home for them.
    Ahh I see. Fair enough. We'll see how this poll goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That forum is underloved....

Whats wrong with a Christmas MEgathread?

and tbh, you Modulators started this **** on yourselves by kicking off the Santa Strike Force stickies. If you Ban xmas then you also have to lock your charitable good deeds. And let them sink back into the nether realm of page2 and beyond (/shudder)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

thats a bit nuts though, it's well into november and everyone is already discussing christmas in RL so why not afterhours?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I would let them go, if they become a sizeable chunk of the number of threads but with low readership and posts, then we can archive them off to an xmas sub forum temporaraily... this is more or less what we do in politics when an election comes around.

Something to consider...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Tbh, i dont see the problem.. "Oh jaysus christmas thread - not reading that" and i move along to threads about roma or debates on Mary Harneys hawtness.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The fact that this is even being discussed makes me lol, of all the topics of conversation to consider banning it's fcuking Christmas? :pac:

I'm no fan of the festive season myself but sure if people want to post about it then let them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Threads containing jokes about missing children, fecking foreigners etc. are ok.

Christmas threads? **** no!

I don't get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Can't understand why the place has gotten so restrictive. Let it flow ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Poccington wrote: »
    Threads containing jokes about missing children, fecking foreigners etc. are ok.

Christmas threads? **** no!

I don't get it?
    Some people enjoy being miserable :p

Anyway, I said this in the AH thread but I'll say it here too:

There are always millions of Christmas threads clogging up the front page. I wouldn't mind a couple, but there is always a ridiculous number of repeat threads. They're hard to ignore when there's so many of them.

A Christmas megathread would be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Why not just have a max of 5 or so active Xmas threads at a time, merge any that are similar and it may never reach 5.

There is no harm in a few of the threads being not to everyone's tastes, there is a hell of a lot of tabloid sh*te on here many of us don't like either I'm sure, but I use the don't click on the link method of avoiding such threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Mods seem to want ban discussing Christmas in AH...but there are 4 stickies in AH now related to Christmas. Seems a tad ironic to me.

Ludo wrote: »
    Mods seem to want ban discussing Christmas in AH...but there are 4 stickies in AH now related to Christmas. Seems a tad ironic to me.
    Have you checked the vote? Last time I checked two after hours mods voted yes, two voted no and one voted I don't care. Like I have said many times before this hasn't got to do with what the mods want discussed. If we didn't want it discussed why would we have a poll up? Every year we get a massive amount of users complaining about the amount of christmas threads. Some years we've banned discussion (I believe it's been the previous two years maybe more though) usually until early december. This time we are letting the forum users decide. How is that us wanting to ban discussion?

copacetic wrote: »
    thats a bit nuts though, it's well into november and everyone is already discussing christmas in RL so why not afterhours?

This is the bit I can't understand. Some people who use this site seem to want to exercise so much personal control over it to a point that their favourite forum resembles their own opinions. Such that "Christmas belongs to December/January." can become forum policy. Maybe that's the point of the site but I thought it was to let people talk about stuff without being a dick. The "ban Xmas threads" people aren't doing a very good job at all of trying to get their point across. That's mainly becuase I don't think they have a point as I'm into the "don't like it don't read it" type of mentality.

For the record: I dislike Xmas (I call it Xmas cause I dislike the religion) and I dislike Xmas being promoted and even present prior to Oct. 31st. Seeing signs, lights and advertising etc. makes my blood boil.

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    This is the bit I can't understand. Some people who use this site seem to want to exercise so much personal control over it to a point that their favourite forum resembles their own opinions. Such that "Christmas belongs to December/January." can become forum policy. Maybe that's the point of the site but I thought it was to let people talk about stuff without being a dick. The "ban Xmas threads" people aren't doing a very good job at all of trying to get their point across. That's mainly becuase I don't think they have a point as I'm into the "don't like it don't read it" type of mentality.

For the record: I dislike Xmas (I call it Xmas cause I dislike the religion) and I dislike Xmas being promoted and even present prior to Oct. 31st. Seeing signs, lights and advertising etc. makes my blood boil.
    Just to let you know the x in xmas still means christ. It's latin or greek or something like that.

Ex-mas then...
    Winter Solace...

Whatever the fuk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Just to let you know the x in xmas still means christ. It's latin or greek or something like that.
    Some useless trivia:
    Aye, it seems the correct spelling is actually☧mas which is a combination of greek letters Chi (X) and Rho(P) and the latin 'mass'. the Chi-Rho combination is an early Christian church shortening of Christ and is still used today on religious publications.

Back on topic:
    I really think stifling all discussion on it is a bit OTT and Kudos for putting up the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I always thought the X was for the cross, but it is chi from Greek too which is handy. Not long from now it'll turn into x as in kisses, then Xoxomas, and then the Atheists will finally have won their noble fight!

Interesting idea about a Christmas forum, but the subject tends to pop up everywhere, like tacky Christmas Jingles while shopping, I don't know if one solitary forum could contain the excitement..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

One thing I really ****ing hate to see is a big bunch of locked threads in AH.
    Gets my blood pressure all up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Ex-mas then...
    Winter Solace...

Whatever the fuk

Solstice? :p

Advertisement