Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are people not allowed post about christmas in AH?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Steve wrote: »
    Some useless trivia:
    Aye, it seems the correct spelling is actually☧mas which is a combination of greek letters Chi (X) and Rho(P) and the latin 'mass'. the Chi-Rho combination is an early Christian church shortening of Christ and is still used today on religious publications.

Back on topic:
    I really think stifling all discussion on it is a bit OTT and Kudos for putting up the poll.

Wow, that actually is interesting (if its not some sh1t you just made up! :D)

I always thought the "x" was for taking the "christ" out of christmas, which even though i hate christmas and am not religious - i resented the attempted removal of the religious aspect of christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

How about move the "what do i get my <insert whatever>" threads to G&F&PI forum.

Everything else is just the usual Scrooge ranting.

Then have a mega thread of "what do you want for xmas" followed by "what did you get for xmas" mega thread.

Let everything else happen naturally
    Rabies suggested this in the AH voting thread. Seems a good idea...

BTW, "The Front Page"? Are ye all scared ****less of page 2 or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Why not just have a max of 5 or so active Xmas threads at a time, merge any that are similar and it may never reach 5.

That could lead to an awful lot of extra work for the mods which in the end wouldn't be all that necessary. Perhaps a single megathread is the way to go, but I guess there are so many people who want to discuss stuff like 'doesn't the smell of orange rind and pine bark just give you the christmas hard on?' or something like that which is the root of all the problems here. Without pre-moderating threads in AH I doubt there's any way of making everyone happy.

Steve wrote: »
    Some useless trivia:
    Aye, it seems the correct spelling is actually☧mas which is a combination of greek letters Chi (X) and Rho(P) and the latin 'mass'. the Chi-Rho combination is an early Christian church shortening of Christ and is still used today on religious publications.

Oh steve! *swoons* :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

OK So do I post in the AH sticky or here? Or in the new forum request? I have no problem with christmas threads in AH. There I said it. Sorry other mods. Couldn't give a monkeys. As much as is humanly possible where it's not ridiculous or against the charter the last thing I want to do is to tell people not to talk about something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Fair play, Doc B.

I think if people spent more time modding the thing, (as in doing the usual stop spam, abuse, and moving stuff that obviously needs to be elsewhere), and less in trying to exert editorial control, whether they feel it's for the greater good, or because they can't sleep at night, AH would be the better for it.

I think a lot of this trend may have grown out of the (initially very commendable) stickies asking for feedback on the forum. However, there's a big difference between taking a voxpop of the regulars, and pandering to a couple of cranks with too much time on their hands, and ergo a larger voice within the forum, who have no right to dictate its direction.

It's an off-topic forum, in a way. Within reason like. I've seen people warned for getting off topic when they were merely meandering along and causing no harm. I've seen threads locked down for no reason (sometimes with a little hur-dehur comment, or an interchange between whatever mods may have been online at the time, but took no action). Not nice for the user, who will probably just scratch his head and move on, but still. Sometimes the end result is funny, but mostly it isn't, primarily because the thread shouldn't have been closed in the first place.

Thankfully the more glaring bans seem to have died off, which is a blessing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Fair play, Doc B.

I think if people spent more time modding the thing, (as in doing the usual stop spam, abuse, and moving stuff that obviously needs to be elsewhere), and less in trying to exert editorial control, whether they feel it's for the greater good, or because they can't sleep at night, AH would be the better for it.

I think a lot of this trend may have grown out of the (initially very commendable) stickies asking for feedback on the forum. However, there's a big difference between taking a voxpop of the regulars, and pandering to a couple of cranks with too much time on their hands, and ergo a larger voice within the forum, who have no right to dictate its direction.

It's an off-topic forum, in a way. Within reason like. I've seen people warned for getting off topic when they were merely meandering along and causing no harm. I've seen threads locked down for no reason (sometimes with a little hur-dehur comment, or an interchange between whatever mods may have been online at the time, but took no action). Not nice for the user, who will probably just scratch his head and move on, but still. Sometimes the end result is funny, but mostly it isn't, primarily because the thread shouldn't have been closed in the first place.

Thankfully the more glaring bans seem to have died off, which is a blessing.

Never necessary to lock a thread "just cos". If it has a better home then fire it over to there, ergo if there is to be a christmas forum I'll swing some threads that way but to me locking a thread should be for a reason that makes sense to the posters and the community and not one that makes sense to the mods. Just my 2c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

I agree totally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'd trade 10 x public sector/recession/roma/traveller threads for one xmas thread.

I liked steviecakes thread about xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

OK So do I post in the AH sticky or here? Or in the new forum request? I have no problem with christmas threads in AH. There I said it. Sorry other mods.

Why are you sorry?

As far as I know none of us are against Christmas threads in After Hours.

It's just the timing of them that needs to be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

While we've branched out from Christmas threads, and if ye want me to start a new topic, I've no problem, but why was this thread in AH locked? It was popular and being talked about. Certainly it was strange and the OP questionable but it did invoke thought and got to 2 pages fairly rapidly. It'd be atleast satisfying if a mod posted a reason for it being locked.

I'm sorry if there's a fairly obvious reason but c'mon, are ye listening?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

snyper wrote: »
    Wow, that actually is interesting (if its not some sh1t you just made up! :D)
    It's true I'm a mod and incapable of telling lies, wait maybe that's because of my pointy ears.. :p
    Oh steve! *swoons* :p
    :eek:

Dude, I'm a dude....

So are you!!

:eek:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

jumpguy wrote: »
    While we've branched out from Christmas threads, and if ye want me to start a new topic, I've no problem, but why was this thread in AH locked? It was popular and being talked about. Certainly it was strange and the OP questionable but it did invoke thought and got to 2 pages fairly rapidly. It'd be atleast satisfying if a mod posted a reason for it being locked.

I'm sorry if there's a fairly obvious reason but c'mon, are ye listening?
    jumpguy, that thread has nothing to do with Christmas, you're just going to drag this thread off topic by bringing it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

WindSock wrote: »
    Solstice? :p

Eh oh yeah, that too... I like to be alone and brood during the end of December. I'm a happy person on the inside really.

Kudos to Doc Bollock! He was always my fav :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

We can't discuss christmas till the 8th december, everyone knows that!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Cabaal wrote: »
    We can't discuss christmas till the 8th december, everyone knows that!

Ah yes, the day the culchies come up to the big smoke.

Why not make a sticky thread with the title "The ultiimate Christmas thread: Do not open until 8th December" Or something like that. Then un-stick it and let the Christmas heads do with it as they wish.

Advertisement