Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you like/hate about Louth?

Options
  • 15-11-2009 4:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Just wondering what all the other louth men and women think of Louth. I am from Drogheda myself and I love it here. I travel around the country alot and people seem to think Drogheda is in Dublin and that Drogheda and Dundalk are the same place. One thing I love about louth is the Ardee accent! I think it's gas. I love that louth is still quite small and everybody in Drogheda seems to know everyone. I think people in Louth are that bit more friendly than in Dublin.

I can't really think of anything I dislike at the moment!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

OnTheBalls wrote: »
    Just wondering what all the other louth men and women think of Louth. I am from Drogheda myself and I love it here. I travel around the country alot and people seem to think Drogheda is in Dublin and that Drogheda and Dundalk are the same place. One thing I love about louth is the Ardee accent! I think it's gas. I love that louth is still quite small and everybody in Drogheda seems to know everyone. I think people in Louth are that bit more friendly than in Dublin.

Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mickey mac

OnTheBalls wrote: »

You mean related to everyone!
    I like the Drogheda accent, especially the unusual way they pronounce the letters U and R when they are in the same word, example nurse or guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Also asking a drogheda person to say Mars bar, sounds like maahhs baaah :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

Also asking a drogheda person to say Mars bar, sounds like maahhs baaah :-)

and why is it that Dundalk people finish every sentence with HAY..

And why is it that everything turns into a Dundalk/Drogheda debate?

If you live in Dundalk, great. If you live in Drogheda, fantastic. However, both places have one thing in common; No one on here cares.

Anyway, Im in Drogheda, so my comments will be in relation to that area (I've only been in Dundalk a handful of times, so can't really say why i'd love or hate the place).

Things I like:

The core of the town is relatively small, so therefore doesn't really require much transport (public or otherwise)

Has a versatile enough array off stores, ranging from little indy shops to huge brand name 'megastores'.

Decent range of electronics store. Great for haggling them down.

If you go out about the town at night time (weekend or weekdays), even if it's 4am, you'll always see a garda car or van mooching through the town (something I've noticed a lot as of late, but no one ever mentions).

The Boyne Walk Cycle is a good way to pass half an hour.

Close enough to the border to get to the North.

Things I Dislike:

There are a wide array of shops... But they're all spread out in different directions. If im in Dublin, i can go from Smyths to Argos in twenty seconds. In Drogheda I need a car, and it'll still take half an hour to do the travelling alone.

There's a serious issue with scumbags and Alcos on the town (note; I don't include the Drinkers in the scumbags group, they are seperate) that should be looked into.

Those bastards who sit beside every ATM, Outside the Credit union, etc. need to be dragged off the street (preferably kicking and screaming). I suppose that's not just a Drogheda issue though.

The dirt of the ramparts. Smashed glass, McDonald's food wrappers, bottles, papers... its a disaster area.

The lack of bike racks on the town. They had them, then they got rid of them. Can anyone say "fcuking morons!"?

Why is there not a permanent Garda placed on the town? There should be a parking spot specifically just for Garda cars, and there should be one there for at least four hours a day during the week, dealing with people's complaints and generally just looking mean (a deterrant, if nothing else).

All i can think of off the top of my head.

• Advertisement

Honda08 wrote: »
    and why is it that Dundalk people finish every sentence with HAY..

Thats Ardee hey you are thinking of!

Things I Dislike:

There are a wide array of shops... But they're all spread out in different directions. If im in Dublin, i can go from Smyths to Argos in twenty seconds. In Drogheda I need a car, and it'll still take half an hour to do the travelling alone.

There's a serious issue with scumbags and Alcos on the town (note; I don't include the Drinkers in the scumbags group, they are seperate) that should be looked into.

Those bastards who sit beside every ATM, Outside the Credit union, etc. need to be dragged off the street (preferably kicking and screaming). I suppose that's not just a Drogheda issue though.

The dirt of the ramparts. Smashed glass, McDonald's food wrappers, bottles, papers... its a disaster area.

The lack of bike racks on the town. They had them, then they got rid of them. Can anyone say "fcuking morons!"?

Why is there not a permanent Garda placed on the town? There should be a parking spot specifically just for Garda cars, and there should be one there for at least four hours a day during the week, dealing with people's complaints and generally just looking mean (a deterrant, if nothing else).

All i can think of off the top of my head.

A lot of those points are very true for Dundalk as well. I am rarely in Drogheda these days thanks to the M1 but like yourself wouldn't be qualified to give an opinion on it. I reckon that your dislikes will translate pretty well to a lot of towns around the country.
    Oh just thought of a big like in Drogheda, Dominics chips!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ask anybody in any town in Ireland what they like or dislike locally and you'll probably get the same kind of answers. It's not really worth discussing in such general terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

amd the way people from Dundalk start every sentence woth "Here-Now-Hey"..and Drogheda folk drop the "r' in everything.....so Thursdar is Thu..s..day, Mars is Maahs, Marsh Road is Mash Road, beautiful is booty-full, absolutely is apple-lutely.....and my favourite is potato pronounced 'Data'.....as in Data-Sala( potato salad). Rathmullen Park is Ramullen Paake. Yellow is Yella.....and the classis ''In all any anyways''.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

bottomdog wrote: »
    amd the way people from Dundalk start every sentence woth "Here-Now-Hey"..and Drogheda folk drop the "r' in everything.....so Thursdar is Thu..s..day, Mars is Maahs, Marsh Road is Mash Road, beautiful is booty-full, absolutely is apple-lutely.....and my favourite is potato pronounced 'Data'.....as in Data-Sala( potato salad). Rathmullen Park is Ramullen Paake. Yellow is Yella.....and the classis ''In all any anyways''.

Who do you be talking to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

:D I've heard the 'maahs' thing loads of times with Drogheda work mates over the years. The 'here now hey' I haven't heard, sounds like a culchie thing. I hear 'c'mere 'til I tell ya' all the time, probably say it myself and 'like' is said unnecessarily quite a lot round these here parts too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

...and the classis ''In all any anyways''.

thats a skanger dub saying i believe.

Don't really recognise the Dundalk expressions earlier in the thread, I have lived here for a long time now. Several that Dundalkies use amongst each other are are 'arr fella' and 'brudder' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

amd the way people from Dundalk start every sentence woth "Here-Now-Hey"..

I've never hear that!
    . Several that Dundalkies use amongst each other are are 'arr fella' and 'brudder'

Or in some instances it's just "Our" i.e. well our! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

It is true that not all Dundalk people speak with the local accent, some people from Dundalk have beautiful speaking voices - lke Stephen Staunton for example :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

amd the way people from Dundalk start every sentence woth "Here-Now-Hey"..

I'd love to know who you hang out with! After 51 years in Dundalk I've never heard that expression. (Seems very similar to the comic expression used by comics taking off Liverpodlians)

To be honest I think the slagging off of accents or expressions is quite cheap. It depends on the area of any town or the class of person concerned. You can be in the company of Dundalk or Drogheda people for weeks and not hear any of the sterotypical expressions or accents you dole out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I moved to Drogheda (Drawwda) 4 years ago, (from the dreaded Dublin)

It's true, everybody knows everybody down the town and most people are friendlier.

Nothing in Drogheda gets broken it gets "busted" and the drop of the r in most words.

I hate the way if I need to go to the bank it's torture -driving into the town and parking is a nightmare if you just need to run in for 5 mins, feck all on street parking but lots of €1.30 per hour car parks. I don't need to stay for an hour, and it's still a hike to the bank! Small issue but annoying.

I have noticed the increased garda presence in the town, no harm really, pity there isn't more stationed in Laytown station as thats where covers where I live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

I dont like the northeast at all, and I beg the Lord Jesus day and night to get me outta here. As harsh as that may sound its the truth.

graveley_jail_20060627.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

Stephen that must be tough living here under those conditions...may I suggest you take the inevitable step and fcuk off out of here..then see what happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Stephen that must be tough living here under those conditions...may I suggest you take the inevitable step and fcuk off out of here..then see what happens?

When I win the lottery Trafford lad.:)

44v8itg.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Stephentlig, can you please stop posting pointless images.

Posts deleted.

Infracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Not from Drogheda, but lived there for about 5 years and still visit most weekends..

The people - Mostly friendly and good natured.
    The humour - De Drogs are very funny. Don't get enough recognition. :)
    The pubs - Great choice of pubs and live music most nights of the week.
    Public Transport - Buses, trains run regularly. Can get to Dublin, Belfast quite easily.

Dislikes
    The accent - :D I think it's only surpassed by the Dundalk accent. :D

Not gonna mention skangers because you get them everywhere and Drogheda isn't that actually bad in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Likes - people are friendly, it's cheaper to live here than Dublin

Dislikes - the appearance of Drogheda. It's quite possibly the most depressing town i've ever lived in. Even on a sunny day it's so grey and uninspiring. There are so many buildings left to rot and no one does anything about it. Look at the soundshop - it looked like a condemed building for years even while it was still operating at the quays! Since they moved out it's become even worse and the burglar alarm has been going off inside for WEEKS. I guess Tommy Leddy doesn't care anymore now he has a monument to himself in his theatre...!

Knackery teenagers - i'm so sick of teenagers coming up from the town (I live outside the town) to knacker drink in the green/park area in my very quiet estate. Even on Friday night when it was freezing and raining they were out there, and they leave smashed bottles and cans in their wake. The Gardai don't even bother coming out to deal with it. Never experienced this, or such apathy from the gardai when I was living in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

On Drogheda, been living here for about 5 years:

Things I Like:

The town has pretty much everything I need, from shops to pubs and restaurants, sports clubs, gyms etc.

The ramparts walk is great(although a little more respect from dog walkers in the poop scoop dept would be nice).

People are generally decent and nice.

Close to excellent beaches on both sides of the estuary.

Green Man barber shop!

Great town for live music.

Things I dislike:

Traffic and town planning in general in Drogheda is awful (seems like a victim of traditional Irish planning process i.e. none or brown bag planning)

Aesthetics, not a very good looking town, which it should be given the river, and the historical buildings that abound in the town. General disrepair of buildings plus footpaths and roads, litter, and bad planning probably all equally contribute to this.

Paying to park in scotch hall so that I can go in and spend money in its shops.
    (Thankfully Tesco's and Dunnes in Grange Rath have alleviated that problem somewhat.

No decent Cinema (will be once the pay for parking scotch hall phase II is complete)

Paying to travel 2.5Km on the motorway to get from one retail park to the next or to get to my gym.

On Drogheda, been living here for about 5 years:

Things I Like:

The ramparts walk is great(although a little more respect from dog walkers in the poop scoop dept would be nice).

Close to excellent beaches on both sides of the estuary.

+1

Can't beat a nice long walk on the Boyne or a trip to the beach, usually to shake off a hangover!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I find it funny how Louth people pronounce book. Actually I'm not sure how I could type it to show what I mean
    Maybe boooooccck,

Seems to be a Louth thing, noone else does it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

mikemac wrote: »
    I find it funny how Louth people pronounce book. Actually I'm not sure how I could type it to show what I mean
    Maybe boooooccck,

Seems to be a Louth thing, noone else does it

"Beeeewk" or "bew-ick".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

eth0_ wrote: »
    "Beeeewk" or "bew-ick".

That's it exactly! :)
    I couldn't figure out how to type it.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

On the local accents thing, why do people say "I seen" instead of "I saw" or "I have seen" ?

It sounds pretty bad to an outsider.

• Advertisement

Book, Cook, Town, Church..

Advertisement