Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you like/hate about Louth?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

On the local accents thing, why do people say "I seen" instead of "I saw" or "I have seen" ?

It sounds pretty bad to an outsider.

That's not exclusively a Louth thing is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

That's not exclusively a Louth thing is it?

Maybe not, North East thing maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Maybe not, North East thing maybe?

I've heard it said all over. It's not a Louth thing, it's either a lack of education or disregard for basic grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Me fail English? That's unpossible!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Anybody see the signs on the M1 coming into Dundalk.... Beside Ardee somebody painted, "HEY"

Gave me a wee chuckle for the brief time it was there. :)

Drogheda has McPheils, Dundalk has The Spirit Store (what a place)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭peejay1986

From Ardee myself, so this should be a short list;

Likes;
    Marios chippy
    Arthurs chinese
    Everyone knows eachother

Dislikes;
    NOTHING to do
    Traffic is mental
    Everyone knows eachother

...Hey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

On the local accents thing, why do people say "I seen" instead of "I saw" or "I have seen" ?

It sounds pretty bad to an outsider.

It's definately not just a Louth, or North East, thing. I have heard "I seen" used in Dublin and Limerick in the past week alone. I have heard it in the good old USA as well. I find people ridicule their local area or accemts without realising that most of the things they dislike are to be found in most other places. Maybe people need to travel more.
    mikemac wrote:
    I find it funny how Louth people pronounce book.
    Again, this stereotyping. Yes some pronounce it boo-ick etc but not all, or anything like all, people from county Louth do so. Maybe you do, but I don't and none of my family, friends, or workmates do so either. It's like saying every Londoner says "'ere Gov, wanna buy a cuppa rosie lea me owl flowa?" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

I say boook not buck...! And I say dunkey not donkey...! Just like Munkey and not monkey if ye know what I mean..? And I'm right...!

Rats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Mcpahails is only nice on sunny days, any other time its a sad place.

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Mcpahails is only nice on sunny days, any other time its a sad place.

Where???? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Where???? :confused:

Guessing McPhails in Drogheda.

Insurgent wrote: »
    Guessing McPhails in Drogheda.

Thanks. I still never heard of it. I assume it's a pub of some sort. Hardly something to like or dislike about a County!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Thanks. I still never heard of it. I assume it's a pub of some sort. hardlt something to like or dislike about a County!

It could be somewhere else entirely. I just know there is a pub in Drogheda called McPhails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 drog75

McPhails is on Larences Street in Drogheda, Peter Matthews written outside the door just to confuse people

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

As nobody has mentioned Drogheda United I think I will. Even though I know I will probably be slagged I like them. I have a season ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Lollymcd wrote: »
    As nobody has mentioned Drogheda United I think I will. Even though I know I will probably be slagged I like them. I have a season ticket!

Lots of drogs on here Lollymcd ! Here to a good season , Micheal daly anyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ElectroSpex

I'm from Dundalk, but recently moved up to Dublin for college. There's not one person that doesn't take the p*ss out of my accent! Especially the book/cook thing. Not to mention when I say facebook. "faaaaaaacebooook". Also all my slang is foreign to them, although I don't know anybody else that says any of them either..

"Would ya be guilty with a banana?"
    "christ on a bicycle!"
    "she'd a face on her like a twisted nipple!".
    :D

"Would ya be guilty with a banana?"
    "christ on a bicycle!"
    "she'd a face on her like a twisted nipple!".
    :D

Any wonder they take the mickey!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Any wonder they take the mickey!

Yeah, get used to it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

Funniest thread in ages.:D

hey

• Advertisement
Advertisement