Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PHD in Economics

• 15-11-2009 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi, I know this is a very general question as it can depend on the proposal of a topic, a supervisor, funding etc... but I was wondering what are my real chances of being accepted into a PHD. I hold a high 2.1 degree in Economics from UL (68 AVERAGE) and a Masters in Economics (FinancE) with a similar average.

Comments

Depends where you want to apply for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I may as well throw my hat in with this one. Does anyone know of any good University's to study for a 'English-taught' Phd outside of Ireland/UK, but within the EU? I know it depends on the topic, but I would like to scan the research areas of each Uni suggested to see if anything leaps out, as I have a few ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

I've been thinking about applying here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ledmanroy

ive been thinking of doing the same, but really dont want to have to take the GRE's. Is there anyway of getting a PhD outside of Ireland without them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭joxer1988

ledmanroy wrote: »
    ive been thinking of doing the same, but really dont want to have to take the GRE's. Is there anyway of getting a PhD outside of Ireland without them?

Not if you want to go to a decent school. The GRE is fairly handy anyway, a much easier grad test that the GMAT or any of the others IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I don't really see the advantage of not taking them, even if it was un-necessary. I think it's worth a shot, and remember the GREs are changing this year (for entry in 2012)

As for the GMAT: 650 - 700, OK, can be done in a short enough space of time just on the official GMAT literature
    Anything above 700 requires a much more significant effort, may or may not be worth it depending on your own situation.

Advertisement