Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Expect to see more of Fergie next year

• 15-11-2009 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭

Well this should liven the post-match interviews a bit. :)

Along with Redknapp and Allardyce should make for some fun.

Any chance SAF might decide to pack it in? :P

Don't know how much on-pitch post match interviews of players will add to the whole thing - expect footage of more incoherent players trying to catch their breathe speaking entirely in cliches.
    Sir Alex Ferguson will be forced to speak to the BBC under new Premier League rules

Sir Alex Ferguson will be forced to give interviews to the BBC after six years of boycotting the institution under new Premier League rules to come into effect next season.

By Duncan White
    Published: 11:59PM GMT 14 Nov 2009

In the same week in which he was hit with the most severe punishment the Football Association has handed out for comments about a referee, Ferguson has suffered another blow to his authority as the Premier League passed a motion at its board meeting on Thursday to make post-match interviews with rights holders mandatory.

Ferguson has not spoken to the BBC since 2004 when Panorama ran a documentary which portrayed his son, Jason, an agent, as using his father’s status to gain influence in the transfer market.

Ferguson subsequently swore never to speak to the BBC again, describing them as “arrogant beyond belief”.

Manchester United chief executive David Gill attended the Premier League board meeting on Thursday and the club are aware of the changes in rules.

Harry Redknapp, of Tottenham, and Sam Allardyce, of Blackburn, who also boycotted the BBC for allegations made in a separate Panorama documentary, will also be forced to speak to Match of the Day and Radio Five Live.

Any manager who does not will be in breach of Premier League rules and subject to a sliding scale of punishments.

The new rules could also force Ferguson to speak to the written press. For the last seven years he has been the only manager in the league to consistently refuse to talk to newspaper reporters after Premier League games, only giving interviews to Manchester United’s in-house television station MUTV.

Under the new rules it is also mandatory for the manager or a senior member of the coaching staff to give a press conference.

In a further widening of media access by the Premier League, television rights holders will be allowed on to the pitch to interview players from the winning team straight after the final whistle, as happens in the FA Cup final. If the game ends in a draw both sets of players can be interviewed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/manutd/6570541/Sir-Alex-Ferguson-will-be-forced-to-speak-to-the-BBC-under-new-Premier-League-rules.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Does this reallly merit its own thread?
    A completely idiotic thread imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I thought it'd be of general interest to a lot of fans - if it had been posted in the Utd superthread a lot of people would have missed it.

If the mods feel it should be moved, then fire away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I imagine Fergie will be so curt and abrupt as to make any moments with Garth Crooks very breif indeed (no harm there!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Do managers not have a choice anymore as to who they can and can't speak to?

Bit shambolic if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

That_Guy wrote: »
    Do managers not have a choice anymore as to who they can and can't speak to?

Bit shambolic if you ask me.

Its standard enough in TV contracts these days.

e.g., in the Champions League all managers must speak to the primary TV broadcaster in the immediate aftermath of the match, must also do a press conference on the day before the match and another one an hour after the match.

It seems a reasonable enough demand for the mulli-millions(billions) that the TV companies are paying?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It seems a reasonable enough demand for the mulli-millions(billions) that the TV companies are paying?
    Proving once again that money rules in football

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Proving once again that money rules in football

More a case of a symbiotic relationship between football and the various money providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I think people should be allowed to decide who they want to talk to tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

must be a clause that a senior member of the coaching team can stand in which seems to be hinted at in the original piece... anyway I wonder if it would suit Fergie to have to talk to the BBC now as otherwise it would appear as a personal climb down... sure he would like to get his opinion out there in opposition to Sky at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

In a further widening of media access by the Premier League, television rights holders will be allowed on to the pitch to interview players from the winning team straight after the final whistle, as happens in the FA Cup final. If the game ends in a draw both sets of players can be interviewed.

How would a play like that, straight after the final whistle being covered by microphones and reports. I would like if the referee had to speck to the Medea about the decisions he madded during the match.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »

+1

What next I wonder? "Oh Fergie, I just saw your team selection. You have to play at least 3 players from your youth academy."

BS.

In normal circumstances nobody is gonna force me to talk to talk to people I dislike. "Oh hey John, even though I hate your fcuking guts I'm being forced to talk to. Great isn't it?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

he'll get around it

mink_man wrote: »
    he'll get around it

Secret passage in the dugouts to the dressing room. Genius idea.

How much reports will they have to talk to, they is a serious amount of TV right holders.

Secret passage in the dugouts to the dressing room. Genius idea.
    SAF will pay a fine, as not to talk to the BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

In normal circumstances nobody is gonna force me to talk to talk to people I dislike. "Oh hey John, even though I hate your fcuking guts I'm being forced to talk to. Great isn't it?"

Well almost everyone else is forced to talk to people they may not like in work. I know I certainly couldn't go to my boss and tell him I refuse to talk to a client because I don't like them or that I have some personal issue with another company.

manutd wrote: »
    SAF will pay a fine, as not to talk to the BBC.

I guess it depends on how much the fine is - I'm sure even Fergie would get fed up paying €50K a week or whatever.

I don't really see the problem anyway, it seems to work fine in the Champions League.
    And its relatively easy to a totally non-committal interview - 'happy with the result, pleased for the fans, room for improvement' - 'disappointed with the result, take some postitives, big game next week' - 'didnt see the controversial incident yet'.

Keeps the TV companies happy and they can fill their highlights programs and magazine style programmes with such powderpuff nonsense and get their advertising revenue. Keeps the advertisers happy as they see the manager being interviewed with a poster of Duff Beer or Buzz Cola in the background.

Like it not the money that comes from this sort of thing is how your teams can afford your Rooneys, Torres's, Modrics etc in the first place.
    The foreign managers seem to understand this aspect of the game better than the UK managers, interesting that its Allerdyce, SAF and 'Arry are the ones who refuse to these interviews at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

No harm. The BBC payed a lot of money to the Premier League and as such all Premier League managers should be available for interview after the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

In fairness, the BBC are probably putting a hefty bit of change into United's pockets so it isn't unreasonable that they want their viewers to get value for money.

In the same way that forcing it is a bit OTT, boycotting multiple channels because they said something you don't like it a little OTT as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

keane2097 wrote: »

yep, if this goes ahead...Arsene Wenger should be made watch the replays while being interviewed
    In the same way that forcing it is a bit OTT, boycotting multiple channels because they said something you don't like it a little OTT as well.
    Its comical can people not be honest and take off their biased hats for more than two seconds? There was more to it then "said something you don't like". Civil rights etc ya know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Will be interesting to see if he gives proper interviews or continues to keep up his boycott to a point, giving only one word answers. They can force him to give interviews but they cant force him to be insightful, informative or even friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Trilla wrote: »
    Its comical can people not be honest and take off their biased hats for more than two seconds?

The same can be said for those on the other side too.

Its comical can people not be honest and take off their biased hats for more than two seconds? There was more to it then "said something you don't like". Civil rights etc ya know...

That statement is up there with Ronaldo claiming that he was "a slave".

Think about it for a second and you will see that I am being anything buy biased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

About time, a manager should have to do interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

yep, if this goes ahead...Arsene Wenger should be made watch the replays while being interviewed

You have to credit Arsene, he will always give an interview no matter what the circumstances are.

I think it is only right that Feguson should give an interview to the BBC for the utd fans and they are the national brodcaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I think I can speak for almost every football fan in the world other than Man-u fans here:
    Anything that písses off Fergie makes me a little bit happier!

And the fact that 'Arry won't like it either is a bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Insane ruling. A manager should decide who he wants to talk to and when he wants to do an interview.

Even if Fergie is "forced" to do an interview,I presume his obligation is to just be there and listen to the questions and reply with what he wants. So really after each question he could just say "no comment". After half a dozen questions of him saying "no comment",the BBC probably won't even want to interview him anymore,there would be no point to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Does anyone even enjoy listening to players and managers giving interviews? They bore me to tears with their cliches and predictable and diplomatic answers. In all the thousands of interviews I've had to listen to when watching matches I've only heard about 2 interesting interviews (the Kevin Keegan rant being one of them), the rest have been mind numbing crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

lets not forget a certain mr kinnears rant at the media more of those would be ace

• Advertisement

I can't actually believe that civil rights has been brought into this discussion :|

Does anyone even enjoy listening to players and managers giving interviews? They bore me to tears with their cliches and predictable and diplomatic answers. In all the thousands of interviews I've had to listen to when watching matches I've only heard about 2 interesting interviews (the Kevin Keegan rant being one of them), the rest have been mind numbing crap.

Players interviews are generally rubbish alright, but manager interviews can be great fun. Surely you've enjoyed more than two?
    The likes of Strachan, Fergie, Ian Holloway, Mick McCarthy, BFR, Barry Fry, Mourinho can be very entertaining (and infuriating).

Even the chairmen can be fun.

And Fergie can curse.

Some of the best of WGS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

surely its horribly illegal to foce someone to speak to someone they dont want to?

Helix wrote: »
    surely its horribly illegal to foce someone to speak to someone they dont want to?

It almost certainly is (except when you've actually signed a contract to talk to someone.)

I'm sure if the managers in question feel that strongly about it that their clubs can ask for a 10% percentage reduction in the money they get from the TV deals that they freely sign up for. :)

I think its more a case of the BBC paying for the right to show games and reaction from managers in exchange for money. I dont think its a case of being forced to against his will, more that there is an agreement in place that managerial interviews are part of the entertainment package the BBC purchased.

I am sure that the BBC would be happy to pay 10m less per club for the broadcast rights if any club managers don't want to agree to talk to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

tvnutz wrote: »
    Insane ruling. A manager should decide who he wants to talk to and when he wants to do an interview.

Even if Fergie is "forced" to do an interview,I presume his obligation is to just be there and listen to the questions and reply with what he wants. So really after each question he could just say "no comment". After half a dozen questions of him saying "no comment",the BBC probably won't even want to interview him anymore,there would be no point to it.
    I'd watch that, would be funny:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

adamski8 wrote: »
    I'd watch that, would be funny:)

And also very childish

If a grown man like Fergie and ol Arry cannot conduct a reasonable interview after a match then they must seriously take a look at themselves. Granted there was a t.v show that showed them and those connected to them in a bad light but to hold a grudge for so long just shows how petty they really are.

If a company like the BBC pays the Premier League money for broadcasting rights, that money goes to the clubs, then they should be within their rights to ask for managers reactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

He should write the most bland, broing uncontroversial statement and read it out word for word to the BBC camera after every match. The same boring sh*te, delivered in the same monotonous voice week after week.

I mean if the likes of Lawrenson and Shearer can get away with doing it every Saturday night why can't Fergie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Disgraceful that he's got away with it for this long.

i dont really know why anyone would be on his side in this anyway...its not really the BBC he's been stiffing all these years, its the United fans....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I can't actually believe that civil rights has been brought into this discussion :|

Any straw will do methinks.

If Rosa Parks was still alive I reckon she'd be siding with SAF, 'Arry and Big Sam. The B Specials and the KKK would be on the Beeb's side, no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

aaronh007 wrote: »
    And also very childish

If a grown man like Fergie and ol Arry cannot conduct a reasonable interview after a match then they must seriously take a look at themselves. Granted there was a t.v show that showed them and those connected to them in a bad light but to hold a grudge for so long just shows how petty they really are.

Surely it's more childish to force someone to speak with a group they have no desire to egnage with?
    aaronh007 wrote:
    If a company like the BBC pays the Premier League money for broadcasting rights, that money goes to the clubs, then they should be within their rights to ask for managers reactions.

Yes they should be within their rights to, as you say, ASK for manager's reactions but the idea of forcing managers to give reactions is utter bullsh*t.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Expect lots of trawlers and seagulls.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    i dont really know why anyone would be on his side in this anyway...its not really the BBC he's been stiffing all these years, its the United fans....

Yeah between dominating the English game for over fifteen years and 20 years of unprecedented success, he's really f*cked us over big time. Can't wait to be rid of him.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Maybe they can force him to be on the camera, but they can't tell him what to say, so I'd expect lots of single word answers !

flahavaj wrote: »
    Yeah between dominating the English game for over fifteen years and 20 years of unprecedented success, he's really f*cked us over big time. Can't wait to be rid of him.:pac:

? Thats not what i'm saying at all. ok, who are the interviews made to be seen by? Football fans. Who is he denying by not giving interviews?......football fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

? Thats not what i'm saying at all. ok, who are the interviews made to be seen by? Football fans. Who is he denying by not giving interviews?......football fans.

But he gives interviews on Sky and ITV and with the medium of the internet it's easy to find out his thoughts on games. It's the BBC bosses that suffer really, not the fans.

But he gives interviews on Sky and ITV and with the medium of the internet it's easy to find out his thoughts on games. It's the BBC bosses that suffer really, not the fans.

does anyone not watch MotD for this reason? (genuine question)

What I was trying to say, albeit jokily, was that United fans could care less if he doesn't give post match interviews for the BBC. They don't even show live matches for a start and thats the only time I might ever really want to hear from a manager is directly after a match. Chances are if he has said something noteworthy in a post match interview it'll be all over the teletext/radio/TV anyway well before MOTD airs.

Its really not the big deal you're making it out to be.

flahavaj wrote: »
    What I was trying to say, albeit jokily, was that United fans could care less if he doesn't give post match interviews for the BBC. They don't even show live matches for a start and thats the only time I might ever really want to hear from a manager is directly after a match. Chances are if he has said something noteworthy in a post match interview it'll be all over the teletext/radio/TV anyway well before MOTD airs.

Its really not the big deal you're making it out to be.

on the contrary i dont think its a big deal at all.

My general point was that those saying it was against his human rights etc etc to be forced to give interviews were missing that he and the club are paid handsomely to do so, and that his boycott was pointless to begin with as it didn't really serve to punish the bbc, only those fans who wanted to see his match reaction (which im sure plenty aren't really that pushed about either).

• Advertisement
Advertisement