Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learning to ride in the USA?

• 15-11-2009 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hey guys,

I'm moving to New York in January for work - I'm likely to be there for quite a long time so thought I'd finally have the opportunity to learn to ride there.

Does anyone have any experience of riding in the States or learning there and the processes involved? Also, some motoring laws do change between States, am I correct in thinking that? (hence mentioning NY above).

Any info would be great, thanks.

G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

Just make sure your bike is left hand drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭traco

Just make sure your bike is left hand drive.

As he said - from what I know of the US Test its simpler than ours. Some vides below which may help. Also find a bike forum in NY and ask a question there. Thinks they use a box system in some states.

WA DMV

NJ DMV

California DMV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

you can get the car lience on a hoilday visa. But need a green card or similer for a bike lience. You also need a social security number to reg (get plates) a bike. The plate stays with owner and is not tranfered during a sale

A motorcycle is not suitable for the streets of NYC by the way. Its ultra super dangerous. The grid system means there is no fun in riding and the 1000s of 5L kamocasi yellow cab drivers make it life threating. They will not give way to you. Believe me. Makes Irish drivers look like saints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Don't know what its like in the states, the kick in the balls though is when you come back you will have to start all over again, you will go from riding a big bike + cheap insurance in the US to a learner permit and expensive insurance back here. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dark-Mavis

Bike in NYC wouldn't be too much fun.
    All right angle turns, potholes all over the shop, and as mentioned crazy cabbies.

Dunno about NY but in most states it's actually illegal to filter traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 georgeous

Thanks for the replies guys.
    gsxr1 wrote: »
    need a green card or similar for a bike lience. You also need a social security number to reg (get plates) a bike. The plate stays with owner and is not tranfered during a sale

I actually lived in NY last year so have social security etc., and my company have my 3 year Visa ready for me to go back in Jan. Good point about the reg though, didn't know about that, thanks.
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    kick in the balls though is when you come back you will have to start all over again

So it's not transferable as a licence? To be honest, due to the nature of my work it's unlikely I'll ever even live in Ireland again unfortunately, so that mightn't even matter.
    Dark-Mavis wrote: »
    Bike in NYC wouldn't be too much fun.
    All right angle turns, potholes all over the shop, and as mentioned crazy cabbies.

Tell me about it - worst roads I've ever seen. I'd be careful enough as a driver though. But its definitely something to consider.

As for the cabbies - they're horrendous. I used to spend most of my time directing them where to go as they wouldn't have a frickin' clue. I've also been witness to a fair few cabbie crashes, one resulting in a cab going through the window of a Starbucks.
    Dark-Mavis wrote: »
    Dunno about NY but in most states it's actually illegal to filter traffic.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the same in NY actually, which is why I originally asked about the laws etc.

Thanks again guys, all good stuff to consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

georgeous wrote: »
    So it's not transferable as a licence? To be honest, due to the nature of my work it's unlikely I'll ever even live in Ireland again unfortunately, so that mightn't even matter.

..never say never ! I know too many people who didn't keep up their Irish licence when they went away, and regretted it.

Whatever Irish licence(s) you have, keep them renewed and up to date. Sometime, somewhere, you'll be glad you did.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    I know too many people who didn't keep up their Irish licence when they went away, and regretted it.

Sorry, should have made it clearer - I don't actually have a Motorbike licence, so I'll be learning over there. Have a Car licence from Ireland, and will definitely keep an eye on keeping it up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

http://www.msf-usa.org/

I did this. ~$350 5 years ago.

I had an M class added to my NY car license then took the MSF course in Queens College on a weekend. It was a great course. I was a beginner and learned a lot about riding a bike, plus when you pass (easy) you can take the cert to the DMV and get a full M class on your license.

There is a DMV office in Manhattan on 34th st near Macys. You will need a NY drivers license - learners permit. I would get one of these then add the M class to it.

http://www.dmv.org/ny-new-york/motorcycle-license.php

Filtering is called lane splitting over here and illegal in most states including NY.

Shoot me a PM if you want. I live in Queens but don't commute on a bike. If I did I'd get a Vespa or something.

I'm doing the opposite, I'm moving home next summer and have to start from new in Ireland.

Awesome txpjl, that's pretty much exactly the kind of thing I was looking for - can't thank you enough!

• Advertisement
Advertisement