Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clonmel back in the day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Any one remember the Roller disco in Circles...where the snooker hall is now..Fecking rolling around to the latest toons on skates...tis many the bruise I got:D...Way back before that,it was the Collins hall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

When I went there it was called the Clubhouse,some memories of that place.my older brothers would have went when it was the Collins Hall.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

DT100 wrote: »
    Any one remember the Roller disco in Circles...where the snooker hall is now...
    tippspur wrote: »
    When I went there it was called the Clubhouse...

My mother remembers that place. Shouldn't you too be in bed by now before your prostrate starts to act up? :p

When I went there it was called the Clubhouse,some memories of that place.my older brothers would have went when it was the Collins Hall.

Thats right....I couldn't remember...ah the clubhouse.I remember going to see the wolfe tones there when my legs were in short pants....now its me breath:D

Ponster wrote: »
    My mother remembers that place. Shouldn't you too be in bed by now before your prostrate starts to act up? :p

:D Which reminds me, that where the south tipp free paper is now,used to be Clonmel plumbing

I pulled a lot of women in that place...what's your Mothers name by the way..;)

:D....Ditto.............;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

thats a very personal question to be askin..

thats a very personal question to be askin..
    your up late blackbetty;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

your up late blackbetty;)

well now that im too old for santa, theres no point getin up early in the mornin.. god i miss those days!

well now that im too old for santa, theres no point getin up early in the mornin.. god i miss those days!
    Very true bb.

Ah god be with the days when the Black Rock had Santa:D...Happy Christmas to all the Clonmelians...and all the tippsters....And maybe a fecking all Ireland this year:)

Jaysus blackbetty but ya were busy last night/this morning..Wo ooh black betty bam a lam...do ya remember that song??????????:D..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

Raggaroo wrote: »
    Nelly Drohans shop near the high school sold single cigarettes and she would give you a light
    there was a sweet shop where Doyle's TV shop is, opposite the old Ritz Cinema (now the Credit Union) O'Briens shop and the man there would give you two squares of slab toffee and three players and three matches and a bit of black to strike up with before you went to the flicks!! :) another shop beside this was Denmeades which was popular too.

Someone mentioned old Tescos I remember drinking pints there when it was the Ormond Hotel (many moons ago now)
    ah! the memories

Someone mentioned old Tescos I remember drinking pints there when it was the Ormond Hotel (many moons ago now)
    ah! the memories.Had a few in there meself..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

the site of the old tescos was origionally five star or something to that effect. I rember as a young kid going there before Christmas and "driving" one of the pedal cars on display up and down an aisle.... never got one for Christmas mind you.

Binchy's was the business for toys ! many a day I spent hours looking at the toys there on visit to Clonmel.

the Five Star was on O'Connell St. near to where the recently closed ESB shop was, might have been up a bit from that even, maybe closer to where Pennys is now although I thought Burkes Bacon was there - i'm getting confused now :) need a map!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭steve_oh

I never know that it had closed until this thread....

When I worked in town I'd get a ham salad roll almost daily. I loved the way that if you didn't get a fork you had no way possible of eating it.

And the potato salad.....simply wonderful.

I guess Irish towns are well on their way to becoming shells mush like many in the UK with the loss of small commerces such as Dicks.

For YEARS I thought people were saying Dick Stelli. I thought dick Stelli was some friendly guy that everyone knew and when I learned that it was really dicks deli I couldnt effin believe it. Good sandwiches though! the mall really went to **** didnt it!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭steve_oh

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Anyone remember Barry's pub and night club ? The club was a bit rough !
    A

barrys was alright when it got goin and ya didnt sit too near the thugs. That whole entire place was off its head 3 nights a week for about a year and a half. Some buzz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Fionn wrote: »
    the Five Star was on O'Connell St. near to where the recently closed ESB shop was, might have been up a bit from that even, maybe closer to where Pennys is now although I thought Burkes Bacon was there - i'm getting confused now :) need a map!

I thought I heard Burkes Bacon was in Heatons? I'm not totally sure, way before my time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭cml387

Burke's bacon stood on the Penny's site.

Burkes bacon was around where pennys/ first active are. Heatons are in clonmel a long time and in the same place, I remember been brought in there for trousers are a very young age.

Remember Sean Tobin's menswear in Oakville

Did Quinnsworth not take over buy out Five Star?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

archtech wrote: »
    Remember Sean Tobin's menswear in Oakville

Yep! He used to be a neighbor of mine (until I left Ireland) and sold me a leather jacket for my confirmation.

i'm reaching into dark recesses now but can anyone remember Besco Supermarket, i have memories of a plastic bag being called a Besco Bag a unique Clonmel slang sort of like the greeting thats only heard in town - "Well"

:)

Yep! He used to be a neighbor of mine (until I left Ireland) and sold me a leather jacket for my confirmation.

Sound man was Sean.Last time I met him was a couple of years ago.He was working in a menswear shop on the main street in Carrick-on-suir.Staying with clothes shops...Anyone remember either McNamaras or Mcgraths..it was across from where Easons is now.I know the family that ran it were called McNamara...but I think it was Mcgraths.

I know Sean well myself,last time i was talking to him he told me he was working a couple of days a week in Clintons.

i'm reaching into dark recesses now but can anyone remember Besco Supermarket, i have memories of a plastic bag being called a Besco Bag a unique Clonmel slang sort of like the greeting thats only heard in town - "Well"

I was never in Besco but heard about it ok,another Clonmel saying is ''No bodder boy''

DT100 wrote: »
    Sound man was Sean.Last time I met him was a couple of years ago.He was working in a menswear shop on the main street in Carrick-on-suir.Staying with clothes shops...Anyone remember either McNamaras or Mcgraths..it was across from where Easons is now.I know the family that ran it were called McNamara...but I think it was Mcgraths.

I remember that shop, can't remember the name, it is where Abrakebabra and a clothes shop is (where Fahey's menswear was up to a few years ago).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 I Love Tea

archtech wrote: »
    I remember that shop, can't remember the name, it is where Abrakebabra and a clothes shop is (where Fahey's menswear was up to a few years ago).
    Yea it was definatly Mc Graths it became another clothes shop after that called Vive La Diffrence which didn't last too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

This thread has brought back an awful lot of memories! Moved away from Clonmel about 11 years ago, usually go back every few months and I could really notice the place change every time. One of the things I seen mentioned a few times was Binchie's, used to love that place! The old bridge has changed unbelievably with the flood protection work they've done, doesn't work too well though. I remember when the water used to go as high as the emigrants rest. I remember the chip van that used to be by the grotto used to do savage food!

• Advertisement

wayne0308 wrote: »
    The old bridge has changed unbelievably with the flood protection work they've done, doesn't work too well though.
    give it time, its far from finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 the spoofer

Anyone remember Lowrys hardware on the corner of gladstone street or maybe I'm the oldest on this forum!When you paid for an item the money was put in a cup attatched to a pulley system which went to the cashiers office.The cashier would pull the rope and send back the change.A man called Tom Tobin was the manager and a lady called Anna Beary was the cashier.Across the road was the Cruiscin Lan pub which I think was owned by Jackie Monihan .He had a tobacconist shop at the front.It was later bought by a lovely man called Mick Hennebry from Rathcormack .The best hot whiskey in Tipperary !The start of my love affair with hot whiskeys started there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 clonmelguy

A wonderful thread. I am 45 so remember all the above. Black Rock was where games stop is now. The late Gerry Ryan used do Santa there. Dick in Dicks Deli was a former employee of Burke's Bacon. Tady Burke's tea shop in O'Connell street I remember being in there regularly waiting for the town bus in the 70's. The bus service was run back then by Princess Bus service. A mention of Wrixon's pub in O'Connell street was once O'Donoghue's and Tony Wrixon previously owned The Tara Arms in Emmett street. I remember going home from the swimming pool and getting a trigger bar or a curly wurly in Mrs McKenna's beside Fennessey's funeral home on upper gladstone street. There was also another one beside O'Donoghues funeral home run by a man called Franky Lillis. O'Connor's Chicken shop in Gladstone Street beside Sparrow and Simpson Deli and tobacconist. Billy Gibbs used to own the Manor Inn. The Ormonde Hotel stood where the old Tesco is. The best of the all and most fond in my memory was Cooney's Pub under the West Gate. Straight from the early 20th century. Beside that was Gavins newsagent. Gussy Bonnelli owned Las Vagus at the end of "The Narrow Street". Remember when The Post House was actually a post office. Lowry's hardware in Gladstone street. If a man bought a pound of nails at the counter his receipt was put on a peg like a clothes line and on a pully system would make it's way to the cashier near the door. Amasing "technology" for an 8 year old. Wow Nice to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Dalmation 1

What about Savages shop and bar, on Queen st, where, the Local now stands, Mick Gavins shop at the top of Mitchell St, Dick Beattys, pub, where Boots is now, Biddy Barretts, shop across the road from that, just down from the Matassas, The Savoury Club, gladstone st, Liptons Grocery store, where Ulster Bank was on O`Connell st upto a few weeks ago.Murphys shop and bar, where Premier Music is, Aw the memories are flooding back now, great idea for a thread. Sadly Lonergans and Sean Tierneys are now closed.

Yeah I remember Dick Walsh in Burkes, and Gerry being Santa every Christmas in the Blackrock who I thought had one of those contraptions for sending cash from the counters to a central accounts place in the back part of the shop.
    During the 70's a fave pub was the Royal Oak in Irishtown run by Gerrry Murtagh - they had a lot of young and upandcoming bands there, down the road was Paddy Milleas where all the bikers got their machines fixed and down further there was the Gem (sweet shop) run by Conways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

I remember the under 18s Cidona discos in the Clonmel Arms. They were lethal! - people taking drugs, having sex, fighting...the lot! I remember them saying there'd be a foam disco on and there was great excitement over it. According to a friend who went to it, they had meant styrofoam. :(

i was at that foam party!! :eek: def was proper foam, 16 or 17 at the time, i thought it was a great night. if i went to one now id complain about being soaked and my clothes being destroyed!!! :rolleyes:

Quote:'Gussy Bonnelli owned Las Vagus at the end of "The Narrow Street".I remember ''Las Vagas''
    well,we used to go in there every lunchtime while going to secondary school and play a few songs on the
    Juke box,any one remember Joss Regan (RIP) who used to practically live in the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 clonmelguy

God yes I remember him well. Used to be a regular at The Ritz Cinema (Credit Union There Now) at the Bruce Lee films and imagine he was Bruce afterwards. A harmless man. Often when I was playing pinball he asked me if I wanted to buy Heroine!!!!! He had heard the line in some film I suppose Heroine didnt arrive in Ireland or certainly Clonmel for many years after that !!!!!!!!

clonmelguy wrote: »
    God yes I remember him well. Used to be a regular at The Ritz Cinema (Credit Union There Now) at the Bruce Lee films and imagine he was Bruce afterwards. A harmless man. Often when I was playing pinball he asked me if I wanted to buy Heroine!!!!! He had heard the line in some film I suppose Heroine didnt arrive in Ireland or certainly Clonmel for many years after that !!!!!!!!
    :D:D yep that was Joss alright ''Bruce Lee''he was a legend in that place,hands in his pockets and chewing his gum trying to look like the hard man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Kristian_

Does anybody know anything about the old Burke's Bacon in Clonmel...I see a thread say it was where Penny's is now :confused: any info on the family or anybody who used to work there would be greatly appreciated - cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Dalmation 1

Kristian, i know a bit about Burkes Bacon Factory and shop, i remember it closed in the late 80s,it was where Penneys is nowa fine sized store with the factor out the back, you could hear the poor old pigs when you walked past by the river. i know a guy who could help you out with the history of it if you would like. Glad to correct and earlier comment, Tierneys pub is NOT closed, it was definitely not open on one or two nights i passed by, but seems to be open the last couple of weekends.

My father worked in Burkes Bacon factory (Maintenance) I was often in there with him on nights he'd have to call in to get something working etc.
    Senator Denis Burke was the main owner at one time he owned and lived in Ratheen House up at the gashouse bridge. I think his sister out the Coleville road was involved in the running of the business too. His two sons Edward and Hubert took over the place after that as far as i can remember, dont know what happened to Edward but Hubert is still around - he was the Burke in BHM beside the army barracks - Burke Higgins (of Muls) and McNulty.
    The factory was a good employer in its time with a lot of people working there, most of the premium cuts of meat used to be exported to Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Kristian_

Thanks guys, great info, my grandfather who was a pig farmer supplied to Burke's for many years. He passed away back in 91. I'm looking for something that will prove he had business with Burke's. What do you think would be the best way to go about this? If any! I know it's a long shot but I said I'd give it a go. Thanks guys really appreciate your help.:D

Hurbet Burke runs/owns the Cleanwell fry cleaners in O'Connell Street as far as I know.

What did BHM do? I've heard of them in passing and often wondered what they did? Was the premises you referred to not a council year before John Higgin's bought it?

BHM was a steel works,South Tipp County council rented the place for a few years after BHM closed down.

• Advertisement

the premises was originally Bulmers they had the whole place reaching back as far as Kings Close.
    Before that it was a part of the army barracks

@ Kristian_ Don't know how you could prove any business relationship with Burkes Bacon at this stage.

There was an Edmond Burke who was the person who started the business, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 friendofclonmel

check out
    www.friendofclonmel.blog.com
    interesting times coming up
    especially if you can get this around to as many people as you know
    who have clonmels best interests at heart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

check out

What's it all about? A rant against progress at the expense of a wide open field. Perks can go to the racecourse, I'd rather have a Fine Wines in the town!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

check out

Not being confrontational here but I have absolutely no idea what the purpose of that website is. Ballad of Clonmel Showgrounds? Why don't you present your argument clearly?

What about the boot factory,where the social welfare office is now.On the quay side of the building,they had a couple of delivery areas,which were know to many,as the confession boxes.I would imagine people of a certain age will remember them fondly from their courting days:D.The same people might remember the sheds in the Dennis Burke park for the same reason.Tis manys the school day I spent doing homework in one of those:D.

• Advertisement
Advertisement