Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel back in the day.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭cml387

...and Slattery's were in the old Boyd's hardware store. Which a beautiful 1930's building (listed).

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Clonmelinfo

tippspur wrote: »
    Harry's Court was a dangerous place from what I've heard.there used to be another pup in Parnell st a long time ago called ''the Cider and Bun'' I think it was a bakery and pub combined.great name though :)

It is now open as The Bakers Bar which is owned by O Keeffe's

DT100 wrote: »
    .Around the corner there was a little grocery shop called Gleesons,run by Tommy and his wife.

Hey tippspur....did you ever buy a peggy's leg in Tommy Gleesons?...There was a shop just below the army barracks....I think it was called Mrs. Dohertys.What about Imelda's chipper on King street...many's the onion ring I had from there,after a few pints in what was Bremdan Dunne's....It is now the sows ear.

Imelda's the best fish and chip wrapped in newspaper.

Fionn wrote: »
    i'm reaching into dark recesses now but can anyone remember Besco Supermarket, i have memories of a plastic bag being called a Besco Bag a unique Clonmel slang sort of like the greeting thats only heard in town - "Well"

:)

My mother used do her shopping in Besco's, Wintons was up stairs (now Lifestyle Sports). She used to have the old pram, with myself and my twin brother along with my brother and sister (also twins) in it, my other brother and sister held the pram outside while she done the shopping.

I Love Tea wrote: »
    Yea it was definatly Mc Graths it became another clothes shop after that called Vive La Diffrence which didn't last too long.

Vive La Diffrence was owned by one of the Petits???

• Advertisement

Anyone remember Lowrys hardware on the corner of gladstone street or maybe I'm the oldest on this forum!When you paid for an item the money was put in a cup attatched to a pulley system which went to the cashiers office.The cashier would pull the rope and send back the change.A man called Tom Tobin was the manager and a lady called Anna Beary was the cashier.

Beary's owned Lowry's and Anna Beary is still alive and well.

The cycle shop by the White memorial was Patsy Cahills.

Patsy is now a basket weaver and a very good one I may add, don't know what the company name is.

tosh74 wrote: »
    What about Chappies meat factory, went on to be owned by a number of other companies.

Owners of the Chappies site have sought planning permission for Hotel, retail, apartments and a marina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

It is now open as The Bakers Bar which is owned by O Keeffe's
    I was in there this evening for a while,good craic in there.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 I Love Tea

Vive La Diffrence was owned by one of the Petits???
    Yes you are right, It was owned Kevin Pettit I think in partnership with someone although I could be wrong

• Advertisement

DT100 wrote: »

Imelda's the best fish and chip wrapped in newspaper.

Twas hard to bate alright....I have a few arteries that could do with clearing after many's the feed outta there.The secret was everthing was thrown into the same oil...made for a better flavour...probably a big lump of drippen was used.

some past and present photos of clonmel @ www.clonmel.info/gallery/past-present/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hellbent

My best memories from being a kid centre around Mrs. Denmead's and "Mug" O'Brien's sweetshops in Parnell St, right across from the Ritz cinema (now the Credit Union).
    Mrs. Denmead was the most decent person, and the amount of licquorice and hard sweets you could get for 3p there was amazing. O'Brien's shop had everything, but you'd be a bit afraid of the man himself, he looked so stern, altho' he was in fact a very nice man.
    If you had big money to spend - I'm talking 6p or 1/- (1 shilling) - you could wander up to Gavin's shop or Redmonds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

new photos added to past and present photos of clonmel page @ www.clonmel.info/gallery/past-present/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭lyndak082

wayne0308 wrote: »
    This thread has brought back an awful lot of memories! Moved away from Clonmel about 11 years ago, usually go back every few months and I could really notice the place change every time. One of the things I seen mentioned a few times was Binchie's, used to love that place! The old bridge has changed unbelievably with the flood protection work they've done, doesn't work too well though. I remember when the water used to go as high as the emigrants rest. I remember the chip van that used to be by the grotto used to do savage food!

yeh the chip van over the bridge and poor tracy phelan r.i.p the mwere the days :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jafar64

Kinsellas pub beside the Postoffice in Irishtown, early to mid 90`s cant remember what it was Called before that.

How could anyone forget Billy Doyle's?? Billy last heard of running a pub near Southend - played there a couple of times!

Just found this thread - great memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Dubchild

Hi Ponster, I love clonmel out of all the places i lived in Ireland. The place has lots of charachter and beautiful arches and buildings not just a boring one streat up and one down kind of town. Everything is there, best restaurants, bars, entertainment and a shopping paradise for shop acholics :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

Kinsellas pub beside the Postoffice in Irishtown, early to mid 90`s cant remember what it was Called before that

The Royal Oak - back in the mid 70's was the only place to be!!!! :)
    had all the good bands and musicians. used to be great craic there.

Gerry Murtagh was the owner, think he was from Mullingar or someplace up around there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

cml387 wrote: »
    Beside Phil Caroll's, there was a short lived pub whose name escapes me (could have had "legal" theme).
    It was short lived because of it's notoriety.
    It's been derelict since then (early nineties).Anyone ever drink there?
    I Love Tea wrote: »
    Yea the bar was called "Harry's Court" it closed around 93 I think and has been derelict since although John Ryan used it for a while to sell his antiques from.I've a feeling we'll see that bar open again in the near future.I remember doing a gig there during the fleadh cheoil in 92. It was one mad place ran by a mad owner :)
    Harry's Court was a dangerous place from what I've heard.there used to be another pup in Parnell st a long time ago called ''the Cider and Bun'' I think it was a bakery and pub combined.great name though :)

That was Noel O Briens pub, He was off his game, He would put on a judges wig and start hitting the hammer off the bar counter, He used to go to the real court below and act as a solicitor. He was no fool though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kilmore14

I was thinking back to Clonmel when i was a child. My mother would walk in to Clonmel, from near Lisronagh.We used to have a donkey, but he was stolen. I seem to recall a shop that was dark and dingy, that had a lot of lamp shades. I think the lady that owned it was called May Fahy? I cant remember any other shops so i think i may have been left there while my mother done her shopping. Then the long walk home. I left there when i was 12 in 1958, it was 40 years before i got back home for a visit, but after walking to Clonmel so many times i knew where to find my old house, I dont suppose anyone on here remembers that shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

kilmore14 wrote: »
    I was thinking back to Clonmel when i was a child. My mother would walk in to Clonmel, from near Lisronagh.We used to have a donkey, but he was stolen. I seem to recall a shop that was dark and dingy, that had a lot of lamp shades. I think the lady that owned it was called May Fahy? I cant remember any other shops so i think i may have been left there while my mother done her shopping. Then the long walk home. I left there when i was 12 in 1958, it was 40 years before i got back home for a visit, but after walking to Clonmel so many times i knew where to find my old house, I dont suppose anyone on here remembers that shop.

I have a feeling the shop you are talking about could be the one at Parnell Street? Paintings etc in the window?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Departed

callaway92 wrote: »
    I have a feeling the shop you are talking about could be the one at Parnell Street? Paintings etc in the window?
    Denmeads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kilmore14

I think the shop was in upper gladstone street, i dont remember paintings, just lampshades, which didnt impress me at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Departed wrote: »
    Denmeads?

Denmeads was run by a May Denmead, likely not Fahy. The shop, Denmeads, was at Lower Parnell street opposite the current credit union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

My favourite shop was the Greenie on the Narrow Street. Gr8 sweets. It was opposite Miss McGraths (well a few doors up from it).

I also remember when Five Star was on O'Connell Street. I guess that must have been the 70's or early 80's. Winstons was on the other side up near Moroneys.

Do any of ye know where the "Nags Hole was /is in Clonmel,and what it is? Its not anything rude by the way...I got talking to a lad in a pub one night,when the talk of old place came up..and this was mentioned.......I will leave a pint below at the BlackRock for the person to answer..Regards Pakie.

Do any of ye know where the "Nags Hole was /is in Clonmel,and what it is? Its not anything rude by the way...I got talking to a lad in a pub one night,when the talk of old place came up..and this was mentioned.......I will leave a pint below at the BlackRock for the person to answer..Regards Pakie.

Not certain but is it The Horseman on Parnell Street?

No,Its not a pub.

• Advertisement

Any hints?

Advertisement