Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High Waves in Youghal

• 15-11-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Youghal in East Cork was the scene of some spectacular waves yesterday. I only got soaked twice while taking the pics...:D :D:D

More images can be seen in my Gallery.

Waves%2001.jpg

Waves%2002.jpg

Waves%2003.jpg

Waves%2004.jpg

Thanks for looking... :):):)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I think the 2nd last one is the best, as it gives a good idea of what you were trying to capture. I've often seen large waves like this on the main road coming into Youghal (before the bridge, Waterford side) also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Love 3 and 4 for the sheer drama.

Can I ask how you took em?
    Handheld?
    Settings?
    How did you avoid getting salt / water in the camera?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Henna, why don't you enter one of your photos in the photo assignments "Elements"
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055736547

• Registered Users Posts: 45 henna

Thanks for the comments guys..:D

Dnme: They were all taken hand held using two Canon 50Ds in RAW. The first three were taken with a 70 to 200 mm Canon Lens and the last one was with a Sigma 10 to 20 mm.

Exif Data:
    1. F5.6 at 1/1000Sec and 200 iso. Lens Focal Lenght: 200.00(mm)
    2. F5.6 at 1/400Sec and 200 iso. Lens Focal Length: 70.00(mm)
    3. F3.5 at 1/400Sec and 200 iso. Lens Focal Length: 200.00(mm)
    4. F7.0 at 1/640Sec and 100 iso. Lens Focal Length: 10.00(mm)

Sometimes in these situations I just put the camera into P mode and let it look after the exposure itself.

Keeping your equipment dry is very important so timing and fast running are some of the skills you need....:D :D:D You really have to keep an eye on where the wave is going to break and decide if you are going to be in the way. If you're really worried you could put your equipment into a clear plastic bag with suitable holes for the lens and viewfinder.

Thanks for the suggestion pixbyjohn. I'll check out the link.

henna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭eightcell

Really like number 3 and the way the wave has the full attention of both owner and dog.
    Neither wanting to have a full soaking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Really like #3. Great timing. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭SourKraut

waves 18 on your gallery is better, imo, with the spray from the waves and capel island in the background

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

love #3. Great colours in all of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Nice one Henna, I saw these earlier on youghalonline :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 henna

Many thanks to everyone that took the time to make comments and express different opinions on the various images.

It makes getting soaked, twice, worth while....:D :D:D

I have to say that No. 3 in the OP is my personal favourite as it captures the atmosphere that was there on the day.

Plus for info; The dog and it's owner did not get wet..:) :):)

Henna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

henna wrote: »
    Youghal in East Cork was the scene of some spectacular waves yesterday. I only got soaked twice while taking the pics...:D :D:D

More images can be seen in my Gallery.

Thanks for looking... :):):)

Such nice pics so jealous!! :)

Advertisement