Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hows this for starters?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

you will have to pay import duty and vat +shipping from america!!

support your local shapers! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

and shops...
    If its not costing a whole lot more when
    you factor in what it will cost you to return if it becomes faulty, at least with a shop/shaper you can bring the product back if its faulty.
    if you wish to support your local shop/shaper then shop around for the best price and advice, you cant put a price on good personal advice, iv seen many people buy twice after buying the wrong product, there are some good deals to be had everywhere,
    remember by supporting your local shaper or shop your not only keeping the money in the country but when your stuck for that necessity your surf shop if it can make a living will be open to look after you (snapped leash, torn wetsuit, ding repair, wax, advice) and likewise when you ding your board or need more technical advice the shaper is there to provide you with a top quality repair or information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Agree with the lads above,think its kind of crazy buying a board without actually seeing it up close and getting a feel of it. You could end up ordering it a realise its too lite or not the quality you thought it was.
    From what I can see as well you'd definately get a board either cheaper or the same price in Ireland, especially this time of year, when alot of shops have sales on.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

hey Paul, this is ger. Hows the quad fish coming along? Can't wait till I get my hands on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

completely forgot about import duty and vat nvm

id like to get something a little better than a bic though what would be the next step up thats still budget friendly? also should i be ok on a 7'6" compared to an 8"2' iv only been surfing really a 4/5 times

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ford1520

I'm new to surfing, but have done lots of other watersports, so was kinda in your shoes recently. Nearly bought a Bic from the UK...listened to too many peoples opinions (nearly got put off it).

In the end, lack of time due to work and buring desire to get wet, saw me getting a Quiksilver ST-Comp from bigsurf. Fast, turny, and I can get up on it. Works on mush to decent stuff. Agree with others totally on supporting local also. I already broke off a fin (clown) and bigsurf sorted it out for me.

Can't wait for the Xmas hols for my first road trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

gerk86 wrote: »
    hey Paul, this is ger. Hows the quad fish coming along? Can't wait till I get my hands on it!

nearly shaped ger! :D
    will send you on some pics this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

PeakOutput wrote: »
    completely forgot about import duty and vat nvm

id like to get something a little better than a bic though what would be the next step up thats still budget friendly? also should i be ok on a 7'6" compared to an 8"2' iv only been surfing really a 4/5 times

Most people learn to drive in smaller old banger of a car then get something better - it's the same with surfing - sure an Icons board is something to drool over but you'll be learning on it - get something that can take abuse don't buy a brand new custom board espically an expensive one that will ding easilly. For your height and weight a bic 7'9 might be ok or maybe a 8'4 but a 9+ long board would get you going much faster. Either get a though epoxy manufacture on or a cheaper second hand one - if you must buy new Escape are good value for money so are circle one.... but if it's a relly cheap unkown brand it's probably a cheap import from china - stay clear

Most people learn to drive in smaller old banger of a car then get something better - it's the same with surfing - sure an Icons board is something to drool over but you'll be learning on it - get something that can take abuse don't buy a brand new custom board espically an expensive one that will ding easilly. For your height and weight a bic 7'9 might be ok or maybe a 8'4 but a 9+ long board would get you going much faster. Either get a though epoxy manufacture on or a cheaper second hand one - if you must buy new Escape are good value for money so are circle one.... but if it's a relly cheap unkown brand it's probably a cheap import from china - stay clear

cool thanks

id rather buy second hand but i dont really know were to look and im about to book flights to portugal for new years so need to get something sorted relatively soon

the last time i was out i was on an 8+ and got going fairly well. the reason im thinking of getting the next size down is i know im not gonna have the money to get another one any time soon so the initial difficulties might be worth it to get more time out of the board in the long run.

i dont know to be honest ill prob head into a shop over the next few weeks and ask them to tell me everything i need to know

Keep an eye on
    www.gumtree.ie
    www.irishsurfer.com
    www.longboardireland.com
    www.buyandsell.ie
    www.donedeal.ie

If you're young and relaitvley fit and get out often you should get on OK with something 7'6 is otherwise don't handycap your self with to short a board.

Also have a look at
    kingofwatersport.co.uk
    secretspot.co.uk

But if you buy a board when it arrives make the curriour wait while you unpacke it and check for any dammage.

Where are you going in portugal? DIY or surf camp

• Advertisement

Keep an eye on
    www.gumtree.ie
    www.irishsurfer.com
    www.longboardireland.com
    www.buyandsell.ie
    www.donedeal.ie

If you're young and relaitvley fit and get out often you should get on OK with something 7'6 is otherwise don't handycap your self with to short a board.

Also have a look at
    kingofwatersport.co.uk
    secretspot.co.uk

But if you buy a board when it arrives make the curriour wait while you unpacke it and check for any dammage.

Where are you going in portugal? DIY or surf camp

diy with 1 other inexperienced guy and 3 very experienced guys. going to alvor

im 23 and would be fitter than average but not by much :p im thinking 12 days of surfing(weather permitting obviously) will have me doing ok on the shorter board but obviously i dont know what im talking about

There is a Decathlon (french sport hyper sports store) near by, you'll get cheap rashvest and other stuff there.

On the south cost if the is a very big swell check out Burga, Zavial and a few others. Arrifian is a cool sport. There is a very good surf shop - good board prices in vila de Bispo and others is Sagres. It's a great place to explore

http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Europe/Portugal/Algarve/index.html

Advertisement