Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Problem

• 15-11-2009 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

Ok, so my brother was on one my computers this morning playing games online and the screen suddenly went blank. The computer is a all-in-one Mitac AVPC E8590.
    mitac_avpc_e8590_b.jpg
    Pentium 4 2.66 ghz, 512 mb ram. The computer is making noise when turned on but the screen is blank. I clicked the mouse two or three times after re-booting it and it loaded the guest account but the screen stayed blank. It has win xp home edition and is about 5/6 years old.

Anyone know what the problem is? Is it fucked?

Thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

see if it boots into safe mode . by pressing F8 loads of times when booting up the PC . And tell me what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

BVB wrote: »
    see if it boots into safe mode . by pressing F8 loads of times when booting up the PC . And tell me what happens

I am after trying that twice but the screen stayed blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Richiecats

Has your screen it's self gone, mine fades to black sometimes. Try squeezing the screen with your thumb. this maybe a temporary fix, is it a LCD screen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Have you tried reverting back to a previous restore point?
    Would Direct-X or similar software involved with games graphics become unstable or faulty on your machine?

Richiecats wrote: »
    Has your screen it's self gone, mine fades to black sometimes. Try squeezing the screen with your thumb. this maybe a temporary fix, is it a LCD screen.

Its not an lcd screen.
    Biggins wrote: »
    Have you tried reverting back to a previous restore point?
    Would Direct-X or similar software involved with games graphics become unstable or faulty on your machine?

How would i return to a previous restore point? I don't any software like Direct-X installed on it afaik.

• Advertisement

The computer is logged on now but the screen is blank. The monitor has no external buttons or wires. I can see absolutely nothing. Could it be a problem with the video card?

Thanks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

How do you know it's logging onto an account if you have no picture?
    Are you going by hard drive noise or something?

How do you know it's logging onto an account if you have no picture?
    Are you going by hard drive noise or something?

The noise Windows make when you log in.

Anyone else have any idea as to what i could try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

looks like the display is gone. probally not much you can do to fix it yourself

maybe try a computer repair place ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    How would i return to a previous restore point?

Clicking on Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> "System Restore" is the tool you want.

Just out of curiosity, is there an ability on the back/side to attach an external monitor?
    You can do this (for example) with some laptops that provide the standard serial port or a USB port to do this.
    If you can, plugging in an external monitor and finding that will work, will help tell you if the original screen is broke or if that external is also not working, will narrow down the areas where the fault lies (software/internal hardware).

Biggins wrote: »
    Clicking on Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> "System Restore" is the tool you want.

Just out of curiosity, is there an ability on the back/side to attach an external monitor?
    You can do this (for example) with some laptops that provide the standard serial port or a USB port to do this.
    If you can, plugging in an external monitor and finding that will work, will help tell you if the original screen is broke or if that external is also not working, will narrow down the areas where the fault lies (software/internal hardware).
    Theres no way of connecting an external monitor.

I wouldn't be able to get to system restore because i can't see what im doing.

Advertisement