Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband problems

• 15-11-2009 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

hi
    I'm living in caherconlish co. limerick, and eircom upgraded the exchange there about a year ago , the problem is i do a lot of streaming and play xbox online , being at 5 mb download is good but but my ping being about 100 ms is very bad and is frustrating when trying to play online, why is it when i was on 3 mb my ping was as low as 20 ms but on 5 mb its past 100 ms, and when connecting to an american server ha ha forget it , over 350 ms.

What are my choices , dsl is out since its and eircom exchange, what wireless broadbands can reach me and give me the low ping i need ?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Shammy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Damien360

I am guessing you are limited to eircom or wireless providers. The wireless providers can be very good if you have a good location. But if you have anything at all (including trees) blocking your line of site to the mast you are shagged. Your best solution is downgrade your eircom line to 3Mb again. It may work. There is a thread here about 7Mb package from eircom that had terrible pings. It is line dependant and restricted by distance from exchange among other factors. Your line just may not be up to it !

I had eircom 3Mb until last week. I never bothered to change as it was reliable. Tried modern warfare 2 and FIFA10 online and the lag just went to crap. It used to be perfect. Rang them and got the usual re-boot your router thing. I gave up and ordered 10Mb UPC. Pings now generally 40ms and I have no bother online gaming at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

I'm with BT on 3 meg in Limerick and lately the lag when playing games especially FIFA has been just awful. I ran the ping test and I'm getting anywhere between D and A rating. It changes every few minutes.
    Anyhow I called the tech support people twice and they told me the connection was fine and I should check my line to the phone socket, reboot router, remove phone to sky, etc. I did all this, replaced the phone line and filters and even tried a different modem/router and it's still rubbish.
    Am I missing something or are BT just selling me a crap service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

probably not much they can do about it, i was with bt before vodafone took it over and it just seems that certain exchanges werent upgraded properly,pain in the ass really but they (eircom) just wont do a proper job.
    If your in limerick city get upc, i got loads of friends on xbox live with upc and they never have any problems.

Advertisement