Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In all this confusion, I don't suppose...

Options
  • 15-11-2009 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

...there has been any further word on reloading in this great little country of ours?

:)

ATB,

Mr NeedsANewHobby.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

johngalway wrote: »
    ...there has been any further word on reloading in this great little country of ours?

:)

ATB,

Mr NeedsANewHobby.

As I heard only lately,

"Your not reloading, you just have your ammo, for which you have a license to own, in its component parts".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

See how that works; I bought my 500 rounds allocation of centerfire ammo. Took them all apart for the craic and I'm putting them together again now. :D

See how that works; I bought my 500 rounds allocation of centerfire ammo. Took them all apart for the craic and I'm putting them together again now. :D

You must take extra care when removing the primmer. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Absolutely fantastic Stevie :D:D:D

clivej wrote: »
    You must take extra care when removing the primmer. :eek:

Is that the shiny bit I just whacked out of the middle of the casing with a stone and a rusty nail ?

• Advertisement

Is that the shiny bit I just whacked out of the middle of the casing with a stone and a rusty nail ?

If it went BANG and now your looking for the sticky plasters and burn ointment then yes you have just started your first reloading class. :p:p:p

All messing aside now Clive, where have you heard about the interpretation that component parts of ammo are to be regarded as just ammo ? If that interpretation would be upheld in some way by the courts or by the wording of legislation it could indeed open the door on loading and reloading. As far as I know you don't need a licence for vices and crimpers etc anyway as they're just tools that have nothing to do with the workings of a firearm or have no propellant capabilities of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

As long as the Powder and Primers are considered explosives reloading is a non-issue.
    Remanufacturing your own rounds should be OK but where are you going to get your powder and primers from for proper reloading?
    Fine if you are just changing heads but not so hot for loading for your own uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

It's still on the "slow burner" that act ASFIK.
    Obviously,if our beloved Govt cant tax it to the hilt,isnt precived as an immediate threat to them or the public saftey,or is newsworthy to ban it to be seen being "tough on crime":rolleyes:.It isnt worth being arsed about it.And when they do get around to do somthing about it ,"if the peasent doesnt know it ,he wont eat it"I]old German saying[/I.So the "safest " thing to do is just ban it!:(:(.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The presses and dies and equipement are all tools so nothing illegal there. Its the powder and primer that needs the license. Correct me if i'm wrong but as the Act has not been enacted there is no "ban" on getting/importing powder and primers with the necessary paperwork. Or are they doing the same as with the handguns. In the interm they simply refuse to grant licenss and import certs until the matter is finalised, thereby "banning" them without any legislative backing?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Yup,there was a form for importing powder issued by the DOJ,[cant remember what it was].But they simply stopped issuing them,thussly banning it by default.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Yup,there was a form for importing powder issued by the DOJ,[cant remember what it was].But they simply stopped issuing them,thussly banning it by default.

A c49 or something like that grizzly;)

See that pi***s me right off. As the legisaltion stands there is no "ban". So this attitude of "well we don't want to issue any certs until the legislation is finalised and passed" is crap. As the law stands there is nothing to stop you buying and importing all the gear you need. If its banned a day after you get it then thats the risk the individual runs, but they have no legal stance to refuse you as things stand now. I know a court case to resolve it would take time, but i don't know how many times i've been told "there is no grey area in the law". So its either allowed now (for however long) or it not. If it is they cannot refuse you permission if its not allowed then finalise the legislation and stop it.

I'm saying this kinda a**e about face but can you follow the reasoning. From the moment they decide to ban or restrict something it stops immediately even though the necessary law(s) are not in place to enforce it. Should anyone try to push the issue they drag out the decision until the relevant law(s) are in place.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

If I remember correctly and it was in the ISD a couple of years ago a letter or article from mr G Bryne in the DOJ.That there was a great risk of criminal misuse of powder for bombs.:rolleyes: That it was a highly technical process to reload:rolleyes::rolleyes:,and that there was no qualifications set up or storage requirements to reload ammo:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:,and another load of old Bllix along that line!! Actually do a search here on Boards.I remember we discussed it here at length.
    Well that worked really well didnt it????Considering that the army EOD is being called out to deal with improvised explosive devices seemingly every week in either Dublin,Cork or Limerick..

"There is no Grey area in the law"Obviously a phrase not coined by somone in the Irish legal profession..As many tribunals and millions will prove otherwise:eek:

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    "There is no Grey area in the law"Obviously a phrase not coined by somone in the Irish legal profession..

No. A member of the Gardai. Funny thing is it was this person's superior that told me my application is in a grey area, and his superior told me the same as the junior officer, "no grey area in the law".

So that cleared it right up,:rolleyes:

Advertisement