Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pc repair

Options
  • 15-11-2009 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

is it possible to get an ide drive connector with 80 pins or is it just a connector that has 40 pins with 80 wires in it.

i know that newer drives have the 80 wire connectors but are they known as 80 pin connectors also or are they known as 40 pin connectors with 80 wires in them.

the question is:

how many pins should the drive connector have if you are installing one of the faster drives available.

i am stuck between a 40 pin connector or an 80 pin connector

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,319 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Is this not covered in your A+ book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Spear wrote: »
    Is this not covered in your A+ book?

what sort of an answer is that?

edit sorry spear, just had a look at his other posts

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭colmtowey

am not doing the A+. have a pc repair and upgrade book but is not covered in the book. seem to be a bit missing from the book that is why i am posting these questions. i know there is an ide connector with 80 wires but is there a 80 pin ide connector or just a 40 pin connector with 80 wires.

i was looking on google images and have seen a connector labeled 80 pin ide so i would be inclined to think it is 80 but the only thing said in the book is an 80 wire connector.

these connectors would be used for faster hard drives.

another question i would like answered is what type of cable is used with scsi-2 devices. am nearly sure it is a centronics 50 pin connector on both ends.

would be very greatful if you could come up with an answer. have been trying everything to get an answer

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,319 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

colmtowey wrote: »
    am not doing the A+. have a pc repair and upgrade book but is not covered in the book. seem to be a bit missing from the book that is why i am posting these questions. i know there is an ide connector with 80 wires but is there a 80 pin ide connector or just a 40 pin connector with 80 wires.

i was looking on google images and have seen a connector labeled 80 pin ide so i would be inclined to think it is 80 but the only thing said in the book is an 80 wire connector.

these connectors would be used for faster hard drives.

another question i would like answered is what type of cable is used with scsi-2 devices. am nearly sure it is a centronics 50 pin connector on both ends.

would be very greatful if you could come up with an answer. have been trying everything to get an answer

From the stickies above, there's this for a good start in general.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055643766

Regarding old-fashioned ATA/IDE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA

It was 40 pin, 80 wires to eliminate crosstalk.

For SCSI-2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCSI

SCSI-2 spec used Centronic 50 pin connectors.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

colmtowey wrote: »
    am not doing the A+. have a pc repair and upgrade book but is not covered in the book.

Which is why you repeatedly posted these questions and others in an A+ style format earlier?

Sorry, but that's a pretty farcical attempt at BSing us given the proof of your true intent is just half a page down from this thread. And repeatedly opening the same thread (or a slightly rejigged format) isn't doing you any favours either. Closing threads.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement