Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7mm-08

Options
  • 15-11-2009 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Hey lads, another caliber thread from me,
    anyone shoot 7mm-08, do you use it for deer? Whats the price of ammo and what brand/bullet weight are you shooting? Also what rifle are you using?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

btt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Ill try to breathe some life into this thread:D-I dont use a 7mm-08 but my sister in law uses one to hunt white tail and muleys in the states:eek:.
    Its the 308 case necked down to the increasily popular 7mm caliber.
    Its considered suitable for most North American game so would be a good choice for Irish hunting conditions..most factory rounds are in the 120 -140 grain bracket, but in the states its reloaded with heavier ammo such as 162 grain boat tail spire points for hunting and for match use you can use 162 grain A-max.
    ITs quite a useful hunting/target calibre and the 7mm bullet that it uses has grown quite a bit in popularity this last few years, so much so that Hornady the bullet manufacturers have extended their line of 7 mm bullets for reloading { in normal countries:rolleyes:}.
    so if your thinking of buying one as a deer rifle, it would be an admirable choice imo:)

Thats exactly what i plan to use it for, i had it down to a .308 but then i found out about this and just kinda want it, the feeling i get from reading is that reloading is kinda the best route to go down with this caliber. Also i dont want to pick a round thats hard to find factory for in Ireland either because that will mean €€€€€

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

newby.204 wrote: »
    Thats exactly what i plan to use it for, i had it down to a .308 but then i found out about this and just kinda want it, the feeling i get from reading is that reloading is kinda the best route to go down with this caliber. Also i dont want to pick a round thats hard to find factory for in Ireland either because that will mean €€€€€

ammo supply would be a problem id think, thats where the 308 will beat it hands down , but in saying that the ammo could be got easy enough by a dealer..however if I was buying a 7 mm-08 id like to be rolling my own;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I spoke to dwighet about his when he got it, as I liked the idea. From talking to him, he wasn't having ammo difficulties and he was getting it for a very reasonable price compared to some calibres. It'd be a fantastic calibre for deer here and definitely on my list for consideration down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

i got one....and am very happy with it..shooting 140 gn fed vital shok...there isnt a great deal of choices out there for ammo but In all fairness i didnt have a good look as the vital shok does the job very well...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

dwighet wrote: »
    i got one....and am very happy with it..shooting 140 gn fed vital shok...there isnt a great deal of choices out there for ammo but In all fairness i didnt have a good look as the vital shok does the job very well...

Lads if you want to look at a gun - drool over D's gun.

Go on D put the 7mm 08 custom rifle photo up again and piss all the "I wana BIG gun too" possers off.;)

clivej wrote: »
    Lads if you want to look at a gun - drool over D's gun.

Go on D put the 7mm 08 custom rifle photo up again and piss all the "I wana BIG gun too" possers off.;)

not my thing Clive J.....;);)

can i see it?? and also where do you get your ammo and how much is it a box?? feel free to go to pm if you dont wnat to show off!!

can i see it?? and also where do you get your ammo and how much is it a box?? feel free to go to pm if you dont wnat to show off!!
    ammo is around 28 per box from stakelums in Thurles...john greene in kilmacow has some...im sure all dealers stock some..

001-1.jpg
    0082.jpg
    0062.jpg

• Advertisement

very nice, its a 700 anyway(at least i hope it is or il look like a twat), but whats the barrel/stock? is it pillar/glass bedded? that a leupold on top?

very nice, its a 700 anyway(at least i hope it is or il look like a twat), but whats the barrel/stock? is it pillar/glass bedded? that a leupold on top?

it has: leupold vx3 4-14x40
    blue printed rem 700 action
    timney trigger
    mcmillan hunters edge ultralight stock(pillar bedded)
    lother walther 24inch barrel 1 in 10 twist

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats a nice setup, looks well balanced with that scope on it.
    Kind of a .243 on 'roids:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

ammo is around 28 per box from stakelums in Thurles...

If i'm not terribly mistaken i think Sean has one in stock. Well he did a few weeks ago. Timber stock but thats about all i can remember about it.

If you don't mind me asking and no offence intended here lads (with 7mm-08s) why go for it when the ammo choice and rifle choice in the .308 is so much wider. The casings are identical the only difference is one has a .308 (7.8mm) head the other a .284 (7.2mm) head.

Its just a curiosity thing, no more.

PS - I don't have, never had and never shot a 7mm-08 but i'm asuming it can't be that much different to a .308
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Thats a nice setup, looks well balanced with that scope on it.
    Kind of a .243 on 'roids:D
    Your spot on there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

ezridax wrote: »
    If i'm not terribly mistaken i think Sean has one in stock. Well he did a few weeks ago. Timber stock but thats about all i can remember about it.

If you don't mind me asking and no offence intended here lads (with 7mm-08s) why go for it when the ammo choice and rifle choice in the .308 is so much wider. The casings are identical the only difference is one has a .308 (7.8mm) head the other a .284 (7.2mm) head.

PS - I don't have, never had and never shot a 7mm-08 but i'm asuming it can't be that much different to a .308

I think its a steyr in Stakelums, timber stocked, threaded?

Jonty wrote: »
    I think its a steyr in Stakelums, timber stocked, threaded?

Thats the one...I took a look at it last week...nice rifle!!!!

The 7mm head just ticked all the right boxes for me...I wanted a short action light weight rifle that shoots a 120-140gn pill flat and fast and hits home hard..

The 308 case is renowned for its accuracy and coupled with a 7mm head with its good b.c(better than a 30 cal head for the same weight)
    Im on a winner...

Thats just my way of thinking...

Balllistically better than a .308 and it kicks less!! thats why i went for it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

Balllistically better than a .308 and it kicks less!! thats why i wnet for it!!

the 260:p

nothing much between them
    6.5x55 and 260, 7mm08 and 7x57

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/big-game-hunting/50650-6-5x55-swede-7mm-08-a.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I didn't find that as the 7mm 08 I shot took the shoulder off me. I find my 308 is just nice to shoot and when your 'in the aim' and fire you don't feel the recoil as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I didn't find that as the 7mm 08 I shot took the shoulder off me. I find my 308 is just nice to shoot and when your 'in the aim' and fire you don't feel the recoil as much.

You should try a nice .243 they are very sweet to shoot, recoil barely noticeable.

PJ Hunter wrote: »
    the 260:p

nothing much between them
    6.5x55 and 260, 7mm08 and 7x57

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/big-game-hunting/50650-6-5x55-swede-7mm-08-a.html

looked at the 260 but thought it might be a touch exotic for ireland!! im open to be proved wrong

The 7mm head just ticked all the right boxes for me...I wanted a short action light weight rifle that shoots a 120-140gn pill flat and fast and hits home hard..

The 308 case is renowned for its accuracy and coupled with a 7mm head with its good b.c(better than a 30 cal head for the same weight)
    Im on a winner...

Thats just my way of thinking...

Thanks.
    Originally Posted by newby.204

I won't get into ballistics as i've no experience with 7mm, but with regard to the kick factor. You get a 140gr 7mm-08 and 140gr .308 fired through identical sized rifles i just cannot see how you could tell the difference between recoil. Same load, same casing, same weighted rifle. The difference between my 6.5, .308 and 30-06 is so slight that apart from the weight of the 30-06 (its noticeably lighter than the othe 2) you couldn't really differentiate between them.

Anyway just an opinion, not putting down your rifle or anything.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

the 7mm08 you shot was mine..built as a mountain rifle...of course its going to kick..it weighs 7 pound!!!!
    your 308 is a varmint gun..... heavy barrel heavy stock....

Theres a huge differance old mate...DONT get me started Clive:mad::mad::D

Thanks.

I won't get into ballistics as i've no experience with 7mm, but with regard to the kick factor. You get a 140gr 7mm-08 and 140gr .308 fired through identical sized rifles i just cannot see how you could tell the difference between recoil. Same load, same casing, same weighted rifle. The difference between my 6.5, .308 and 30-06 is so slight that apart from the weight of the 30-06 (its noticeably lighter than the othe 2) you couldn't really differentiate between them.

Im pretty sure that using the same rifle(weight) and same factory ammo(weight) that the 308 will still kick a tad harder than the 7mm08 simply for the fact that the 308 bullet will have more powder in it than the 7mm does.

doesnt really matter anyway...there both cracking rounds..Ive never heard a bad word said about either being used for deer..

Im pretty sure that using the same rifle(weight) and same factory ammo(weight) that the 308 will still kick a tad harder than the 7mm08 simply for the fact that the 308 bullet will have more powder in it than the 7mm does.

A tad is all. So subtle is the difference, the choice between 7mm-08 and .308 is more a personal one about calibre so. I yield to your experience sir.
    doesnt really matter anyway...there both cracking rounds..Ive never heard a bad word said about either being used for deer..

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

i lived in the states for 5 years and hunting deer with various rifles. i find from 7mm-08 it all depends on where you get your ammo from.

Most of the yanks prefer the 308 as the ammo is esily available everywhere so if there stuck up in the back lands of nowhere you are sure to find a local dealer selling 308 ammo.Also the 308 is much cheaper than 7mm

A tad is all. So subtle is the difference, the choice between 7mm-08 and .308 is more a personal one about calibre so. I yield to your experience sir.

+1
    My father is Sir...im just Dwighet(who likes to ramble on now and then)
    All in good fun of course;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

Thanks.

You get a 140gr 7mm-08 and 140gr .308 fired through identical sized rifles i just cannot see how you could tell the difference between recoil. Same load, same casing, same weighted rifle.

the narrower tube has more bullet surface contact (pressure) :rolleyes:

Advertisement