Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training for the Army

• 15-11-2009 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm currently training for the french foreign legion.
    I have given myself till Jan 2010 before I enlist. I am training 5 days a week, 2 miles every day and have increased that training to 2 miles in the morning 3 times a week.
    I can run 2 miles in about 16 minutes.
    I was just wondering is this enough training to do to prepare yourself for the army?
    I am 5 10, under 14 stone and fairly built.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭superref

Hello,

I have given myself till Jan 2010 before I enlist. I am training 5 days a week, 2 miles every day and have increased that training to 2 miles in the morning 3 times a week.
    I was just wondering is this enough training to do to prepare yourself for the army?

Thanks

best of luck mate training for the legion,but in fairness you would want to be doing a lot more training then what your saying there,2 miles in 16 mins pretty poor, the entry test for the irish army is 1 1/2 miles 11 1/2 mins what about push ups and sit ups you doing them best bet join the rdf and wait till the pdf are recruiting again !!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭trench foot

Thanks mate.

I've given myself till January. Do you think my fitness will improve by then if I stick to my programme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

http://www.cervens.net/legionbbs123/

Check out that website mate you'll get a lot of info there.

You would seriously need to up the tempo of your training regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭superref

Thanks mate.

I've given myself till January. Do you think my fitness will improve by then if I stick to my programme?

its really only six weeks or so including christmas i doubt anyone would be training over the xmas period but its a hard feat but best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭troubleshooter

Hello,

Thanks

Theres most likely a French Foreign Legion pre recruit fitness training programme somewhere on line otherwise follow the Royal marines one, practice load carrying building up the distances wearing boots, also running in boots, map reading skills, start learning basic french and you might have half a chance, nowadays they are more selective, you sound pretty unfit give yourself 4 months to reach a descent fitness level before attepting it, otherwise you will fail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

And try and learn to speak a bit of French before you go, if you haven't already. They make no allowances and have a rather harsh attitude to people who can't cope with the language. I'm sure you know that already anyway. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭delta720

Dude I went from not being able to run 3 solid miles in june to running Dublin City Marathon a few weeks ago in 4.30. So you should easily be doing 15 miles by Christmas. Also I'm not doubting you but if you ran 2 miles 4 times a week then you should be finding it way way too easy after even 2 weeks.

Also regarding the Legion I'm currently reading Simon Murrays 'Legionnaire' about his time in the Legion in the 60's. You should certainly give it a read before you sign 5 years of your life away, also note muscle (as in bulk) is just more weight to carry around, it's all about stamina, lean muscle and stamina for 20 mile marchs are whats needed.

There's also a book 'Hidden Soldier' about an Irish Legionnaire in the mid 90's I think.

Forget lifting weights, you need runs, push-ups, runs, pull-ups, runs, sit-ups and more runs!

Hope this info helps. (I'm not in the Legion, from everything I've read and researched I never would want to be!)

best of luck dude

delta720 wrote: »
    Dude I went from not being able to run 3 solid miles in june to running Dublin City Marathon a few weeks ago in 4.30. So you should easily be doing 15 miles by Christmas. Also I'm not doubting you but if you ran 2 miles 4 times a week then you should be finding it way way too easy after even 2 weeks.

Also regarding the Legion I'm currently reading Simon Murrays 'Legionnaire' about his time in the Legion in the 60's. You should certainly give it a read before you sign 5 years of your life away, also note muscle (as in bulk) is just more weight to carry around, it's all about stamina, lean muscle and stamina for 20 mile marchs are whats needed.

There's also a book 'Hidden Soldier' about an Irish Legionnaire in the mid 90's I think.

Forget lifting weights, you need runs, push-ups, runs, pull-ups, runs, sit-ups and more runs!

Hope this info helps. (I'm not in the Legion, from everything I've read and researched I never would want to be!)

best of luck dude

Thanks mate. Thats very inspiring. I've read both books. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I think you need to look more into mental training rather than physical training. I wish I had the balls to go for it. How's your French?

my french is alright. i wouldnt worry about that. i agree, you can be as fit as you like but if you dont have the state of mind your screwed. thank god I did my time in the fca so no worries there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

my french is alright. i wouldnt worry about that. i agree, you can be as fit as you like but if you dont have the state of mind your screwed. thank god I did my time in the fca so no worries there.

I honestly hope you're taking the piss with that last sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭congress3

Ah sure your sorted then so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

............thank god I did my time in the fca so no worries there.

That is the funniest thing I ever read on this forum :D

Stick with the X Box me thinks :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Hidden Soldier by Padraig O'Keefe is a good read, though it does not go into the specifics of training. Have you ever seen the reality programme Enter the Legion http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/E/escape_to_the_legion/
    I thought it extremely tough, though with the cameras around etc it wasn't near as tough as the real Legion training I'd say. Might be worth a watch though, would give you an insight into waht you could be letting yourself in for.
    Best of luck if you do go, I know I'd hardly last a week in it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Oh here we go again with the typical ridiculous statements. Anyone that honestly thinks that having no exposure to a military environment prior to going into it full time is as irrational as the waltish key board warriors who think that their limited military exposure makes them instant special forces material.

Joining the Reserves allows you to have a rough idea of what its like in the full time environment...end of story. Its not comparable due to the fact that the reserves is not a professional organisation like the PDF, but it will give you a much more in depth understanding of how the system works and allow you to work with lads in the PDF. Which is of benefit. Same way getting work experience part time in lawyers office, gives you an understanding of how lawyers operate day to day but does not make you a lawyer.

Now rant over. Just google Foreign Legion Training Methods.

Entrance seems ok:
    Run 8 kilometres with a 12-kilogram rucksack in less than one hour.
    *Do 30 push-ups.
    *Do 50 sit-ups.
    *Climb a 20-foot rope WITHOUT using your feet.
    *Do 8 chin-ups with your palms away from you as you grip the bar.

Most American mil. sites also have fairly comprehensive guides for mil. fitness, where the likes of the Rangers and BUDs training can all be downloaded which should be relevant.

Your training should be incremental. You should be pushing yourself further every week.

By Jan you'll certainly notice improvements if you stick at it (picked the wrong time to start with all the xmas boozing and din dins). But give the weights a rest and concentrate on cardio and LME ex's.

Press ups and sit ups are the order of the day. Also as much core stabilization exercises as you can squeeze in (easily done by something as simple as the plank, or watching telly whilst sitting on an exercise ball!). Also watch out for the chin ups they can be tougher than people think!

When getting into loaded running start with low weight and work up. Get decent footwear (boots + runners and I always recommend getting your foot scanned / assessed to see if you might need orthotics). As the weight will increase pressure and tension on any underlying conditions or injuries. Knees and lower backs are particularly prone to injury when training with weight.

Mixing up the running with hill and dune running is always great for endurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

I agree, some military training is better than nothing.
    On the physical stuff, you wanna get real pretty quick.
    I'm reasonably fit,
    gym 3 times weekly, weights, weights and more weights.
    4 marathons to date, 3.30 is my average time, 26 half marathons.
    press ups (proper ones), 70-80 wthout stopping.
    Sit ups 50-60.
    I've had the pleasure of training with lads from the french GSIGN, went on a run with them, 38 degrees, full bergens, I was carrying nothing ... they left me for dust. All of them looked like they should be on WWF.
    The Legions selection is extreem .
    You need to be setting serious targets, be able to keep moving for 5 hours plus with gear, get hiking, training, eating properly.

Bet of luck, but judging from your origional post, you havent done the basic research yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Is it not G.I.G.N and not GSIGN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Is it not G.I.G.N and not GSIGN

The word spéciales, seems to have been dropped over the years, but the teams still refer to themselves as gsign, I suppose it's easier to say gsign, than g.i.g.n.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

2 miles in 16 minutes would be a fail in the Irish annual fitness test. You should be aiming for a sub 12:35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Read up on Lance Armstrongs training to your lactate threshold method. Great for building fitness and you'll be running your ass off but just below your threshold so you can keep going. Did wonders for my fitness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Hello,

Thanks

fitness requirements are online.
    a lot of competition from eastern europe. they are generally harder and fitter than westeners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭b12mearse

Fuinseog wrote: »
    fitness requirements are online.
    a lot of competition from eastern europe. they are generally harder and fitter than westeners.

but not as smart as westerners lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

b12mearse wrote: »
    but not as smart as westerners lol

Now if only it was a maths test we'd be sorted...

thanks for the info guys.
    i have increased my running to 5km a night 5-6 days a week.
    i can now do 8 pull ups with palms facing away.
    im planning on doing my first 8km run next week and see how i fare out.

i spoke to a guy on-line yesterday who claimed he was in the legion and he said i should be preparing myself for 8km-10km runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Good work mate! Keep up the effort! Keep pushing your distance. No shame in puking then crawling back home!! Push it.

thanks big duff man!
    i did my first 8km tonight in under 45 min. Very very chuffed!
    Did about forty to fifty pull ups through out the day=
    f.ucking legion bring it on ooh wah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

thanks big duff man!

Good stuff.

Keep that attitude and approach to training and the improvements will keep coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

thanks big duff man!

Get 10k in the same time and come back for praise ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭ShotgunPaddy

Thanks mate.

I run for one hour three times a week and do gym sessions three times a week on alternate days. I am still not fit enough so that means you are fuc*ed.

Only joking!

You will need to run for 1 hour as 7 1/2 minute mile pace and be able to do 50 proper sit ups and 10 pull ups to get close to Legion fitness.

• Advertisement

I run for one hour three times a week and do gym sessions three times a week on alternate days. I am still not fit enough so that means you are fuc*ed.

Only joking!

You will need to run for 1 hour as 7 1/2 minute mile pace and be able to do 50 proper sit ups and 10 pull ups to get close to Legion fitness.

Your not fit enough for what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Hello,

Thanks

Been scanning boards and noticed your post, how are you getting on?

Just some notes worth mentioning, once you make it through the recruitment center gates you might have to wait a while until the number of enlists add up before taking part in pre selection. Anything from 1 to 3 days even more depending on time of year, while your waiting you could be asked to do anything from cleaning to ironing etc.

Once the numbers add up you will start pre selection. Pre selection starts out with confirmation of motivation, basic medical (weight lungs teeth etc) and some enlisting paperwork (signing of 5 year contract). If you've ticked all the right boxes depending on where you are at the time you'll take a train trip to selection location accompanied.

Selection starts with logic and IQ type tests then onto a full blown medical. Sports test comes next with some different tasks including, rhythmic race (like beep test), min 4 pull ups (lower body fully), rope climb (5mt high at least once, arms alone or with legs) and 40 sit ups min.

After sports test you go on to discuss your motivation (why you are there etc) followed with a security interview then onto a personality test (life story etc). Last is the fitness test and this is a grey area, depends on a lot of factors, the run is similar to army type 1.5 mile but French are mad into metric so its all meters. In a nut shell you got to be able to run a good distance in 12mins, 2,600mtrs comes to mind but best look it up. Your level of fitness should be at a stage where you can run at least 5k. Best advice is more cardio training less weights, you're never going to know exactly what final selection is like until you get there and do it.

All this can last up to 10 days depending on how many enlists are there. You can be sent home at any time during selection, you might have great medical and fitness but fail motivation tests and like wise etc. Making it through selection all depends on the quality of enlists at the time.

Before you go, visit a doctor and have an army type medical taken to rule out any obvious problems. Take a trip to a dentist for a check up, if you need fillings get them done.

When you get there, don't bring anything with you of any value, don't carry to much, all you really need is the clothes on your back, some toiletries, your passport and a French/English dictionary. Anything else you might be carrying will be noted and stored away, plane tickets, cash etc. The less you have the better as its less paper work.

Don't be surprised if you fail to make it through, don't let it get you down. You may have a chance to return in 3 or 6 months depending on what the problem was or worst is you might not be allowed back etc.

Best of luck, if your going over there thinking it will turn you into Rambo your way off the mark. Be prepared to do anything and everything that has nothing to do with military, do everything they say and do it well. Brush up on your french before you go (obvious stuff) it's not a requirement but it will save you a lot of hassle.

If you sign up and make it, you'll have 4 months with pretty much no contact with outside world. After 4 months and for the 5 years your again going to be restricted from the outside world. Phones, Computers, MPs, TV's are all luxury items and require permission to purchase. During your holidays you might not even be able to return home.

The idea behind the Legion is "start a new life", in all honesty, things would want to be really bad if your going to France in January.

Forgot to mention, from what I recall you can opt out within the first 60 days, check up probationary period.

Advertisement