Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dual cards for physx

Options
  • 15-11-2009 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

ok i know you can run an ati card with a nvidia card to run physx but can you run 2 diff nvidia cards one for the game and the low end one to take care of the physx?

just messin about here have a gtx260 and was wondering if i could put the 7800gtx to some use till komplett get around to sending out my 5870 which will take the role of main card with the gtx260 for physx.

anyone tried this or know of where i can get more info regarding drivers etc

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,319 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

noodletop wrote: »
    ok i know you can run an ati card with a nvidia card to run physx but can you run 2 diff nvidia cards one for the game and the low end one to take care of the physx?

just messin about here have a gtx260 and was wondering if i could put the 7800gtx to some use till komplett get around to sending out my 5870 which will take the role of main card with the gtx260 for physx.

anyone tried this or know of where i can get more info regarding drivers etc

nVidia changed their drivers to stop PhysX running if an AMD/ATi card is present. There are unofficial fixes for this about.

Yes, you can use a different nVidia card to do the PhysX, it's just a setting in the control panel to choose the card.

No, you can't use a 7800GTX, you need an 8 series and up for PhysX.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Spear wrote: »
    nVidia changed their drivers to stop PhysX running if an AMD/ATi card is present. There are unofficial fixes for this about.

Yes, you can use a different nVidia card to do the PhysX, it's just a setting in the control panel to choose the card.

No, you can't use a 7800GTX, you need an 8 series and up for PhysX.

Wait wut? You can use ATi and nVidia together? :confused:
    So, say I have a ATi 5850 and a nVidia 8600 GTS, I can use the ATi for the actual smexiness and the 8600 for PhysX? :confused:

A link if you do not mind good sir! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭noodletop

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    Wait wut? You can use ATi and nVidia together? :confused:
    So, say I have a ATi 5850 and a nVidia 8600 GTS, I can use the ATi for the actual smexiness and the 8600 for PhysX? :confused:

A link if you do not mind good sir! :pac:

There is a nvidia driver hack that patches the nvidia driver allowing you to enable a Physx on an Nvidia GPU when you have an ATI card installed allready as your main rendering GPU. The Geforce card is going to be dedicated for Physx. The hack still work for latest Nvidia drivers.:)

If you want to try it out google for: “genl physx mod”;)

have a look here
    http://physxinfo.com/news/427/modded-geforce-drivers-unlocked-physx-for-radeon/

have the link saved at home on my pc but im away(using laptop at mo)till tomorrow evening will post you link then

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Pretty retarded - nVidia has cut off its own nose to spite its face and must now rely on annoyed hackers to keep up its low-mid-range cards non-OEM sales. Because if nVidia ever beat the hackers one of the main selling points for its cheaper cards goes out the window - GPGPU cards in ATi-powered rigs. Poetic justice eh? :D

Solitaire wrote: »
    Pretty retarded - nVidia has cut off its own nose to spite its face and must now rely on annoyed hackers to keep up its low-mid-range cards non-OEM sales. Because if nVidia ever beat the hackers one of the main selling points for its cheaper cards goes out the window - GPGPU cards in ATi-powered rigs. Poetic justice eh? :D

couldnt have said it better myself

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    Pretty retarded - nVidia

Truer Words were never spoken :pac:

Batman Arkham Asylum built-in benchmark (1280×1024, PhysX High)

Min fps Avg fps Max fps
    Single GT 220 12 23 42
    Single HD 5870 13 21 57
    HD 5870 + GT 220 41 88 132

take that nvidia

Yeah I read about that too. PhysX on ATi only rigs = MASSIVE FAILSAUCE

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Er, don't you have that the wrong way around Leman? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

trivia: supposed to be a modification of the radeon drivers somewhere that will allow users to use PhysX apparently on ATI cards. Nvidia killed it anyway with their army of lawyers.

actually, google returns it fairly promptly when asked:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-physx-ati,5764.html

• Advertisement

I hearby decree that this amazing bastard is to be named "SlyFire"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'm running a GTX295 with a 9800GTX for physx...and am wondering why did I even bother?...
    I haven't even played a game with physx yet (batman I have on the xbox) and probably never will either...it's just a waste of a video card really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Wait wot?

So i can use my dual 5870's and a spare 8800GTS G92 to handle the physx bollix?

Anti wrote: »
    Wait wot?

If you got 3 PCIe x16 slots then sure :D

Wait wot?

yes in deed you can but dont tell anyone from nvidia:D
    my plan is to run 5870 plus oc gtx 260 for physx and depending on what way the cards are priced after christmas might get second 5870 or dont know if you have seen them yet but the 5970 is coming in new year which is really the 5870x2
    http://alienbabeltech.com/abt/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17968

mind you might need bigger case for that bad boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Naw dude, Ive ordered myself a corsair 800D. Its a back up plan of a case too, as if i get evicted, i can just move in :D

Naw dude, Ive ordered myself a corsair 800D. Its a back up plan of a case too, as if i get evicted, i can just move in :D

good thinking batman:D:D..lol

• Registered Users Posts: 44 xtreme couture

is it possible to use an old fridge as a case for 3x 5870x2 s......lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

running 5850 with 8800GT for physx here, works fine with the crack( using the 190 drivers )

Oh you need to use Windows 7, it will not work on Vista or XP as it needs WDDM1.1 to allow both drivers to be used at the same time.

Advertisement