Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What NTL services available in Charlesland Crescent?

Options
  • 15-11-2009 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I was looking into getting Digital+ from NTL (the DVR service) and was contacted to say these services aren't available to me. We live in the Crescent.

However, it's strange since it's mentioned as available to Charlesland in four different places on their web site and I got a letter from them back in Janurary asking if I'd like to sign up to it. It was a direct mail to me as a customer rather than a general flyer.

Just wondering if anyone else has this service already.

Thanks,
    Michael

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Should be able to get Digital+, phone and BB. All available on MMDS around the rest of Charlesland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I have eveything bar the phone. So there should be no issues. I'm in the Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

The website clearly states that Digital+ HD is not currently available for Charlesland.

UPC engineers were doing some work in the wood last week and cut me off for about 20mins. I spoke to the engineer who said they had been upgrading the entire Charlesland development in an effort to reduce some noise they had on the line.

We have phone, tv & 20mb broadband with UPC and it's brilliant. The connection and speeds are very good. A lot better than standard ISP's provide.

We previously had a business line with BT and it went down at least once a week if not more. Not good when you work from home. Basically it's down to the distance from the Greystones exchange to Charlesland that prevents us from getting very good & reliable broadband speeds. Just my own experience though as others may claim Eircom & BT are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 michaelb82

I was speaking to NTL last night and they told me I couldn't get any of these services in The Crescent because we're MMDS. Isn't everybody in Charlesland MMDS.

I tried to explain that the rest of the estate has the services and at that point he noticed something about my address being wrong. He corrected it somehow and then said they'd get back to me.

To be honest, I'm not sure where I am with them now. Maybe, there is something specific about The Crescent. I'll wait and see.

DK32: Digital+ and Digital+ HD are two separate services. I was looking for Digital+ which is stated on the website to be available in Charlesland.

Anyhow thanks to everyone who replied.

Regards,
    Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

@Michael, sorry I meant to say digital+ HD is the only service that is not currently available.
    My limited understanding is that all of Charlesland is fed by mmds. The antenna was installed down by the Rugby pitch.
    When we first moved in back in 2004 we had to have an NTL mmds ariel fitted on the roof so we could receive tv over mmds.

You should certainly be able to get all of the services they are advertising as available.
    Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I had some billing issues recent with UPC. The main issue here is that UPC's customer system in Limerick or wherever the call centre is, dosen't recognise Charlesland as a 'hybrid' set-up.

Some addresses here will be identified as 'cabled' and will charge you cabled rates instead of the cheaper MMDS rate.

Other addresses are identified as MMDS which is correct.

the problem comes when they add the phone or broadband...you'll end up on a 'cabled' service and possible be charged incorrectly.

So if you have more than one service with UPC, check your bill to ensure you are paying for the correct service.

The key difference on the TV between cabled and MMDS is that the MMDS does not get all the channels the cabled service does hence the cheaper TV service (roughly €1.50 per month).

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement