Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!

Options
  • 15-11-2009 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

I am looking for some advice. My grandfather had sown apple trees over 70 years ago, they are pretty wild at the mo and covered in moss.
    What can i do to get rid of the moss ?
    When do I, HOW do I prune the tree to aid growth in the spring?

I am hoping to create a proper fruit orchard next spring also, what preperation should I be doing now to help this take off ??
    Thanks.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

fair play to ya for trying to salvage these tree's....the pruning schedule for older trees that have been neglected should take place over a number of years, although a lot of pruning may be needed it can't all be done at once as it causes too much stress to the tree and can kill it,
    there are plenty of books on the market to give you instruction on what to do....definitly invest in one or two... better still get an expert to come pay a visit to give you advice and a course of pruning, you may even decide to hire them in to do the work
    as far as establishing a new orchard its all about "location location location" if you get this right as regards drainage, aspect,shelter. then any improvements in the soil can be done at planting time.
    good luck.

ps... you may also want to consider having grafts done from some of these older stock so as to preserve the varieties for future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 treesireland

great ,great sound advice well said

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭X1R

dardevle wrote: »

fair play to ya for trying to salvage these tree's....the pruning schedule for older trees that have been neglected should take place over a number of years, although a lot of pruning may be needed it can't all be done at once as it causes too much stress to the tree and can kill it,
    there are plenty of books on the market to give you instruction on what to do....definitly invest in one or two... better still get an expert to come pay a visit to give you advice and a course of pruning, you may even decide to hire them in to do the work
    as far as establishing a new orchard its all about "location location location" if you get this right as regards drainage, aspect,shelter. then any improvements in the soil can be done at planting time.
    good luck.

ps... you may also want to consider having grafts done from some of these older stock so as to preserve the varieties for future.

Thanks for the advice, I have an idea in my head as to how I want the garden to look, but I'm not great at explaining it :rolleyes:.
    I will post pics as soon as I get things as I want, and hopefully any advice I get, I will implement. Thanks again.

Advertisement