Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mongol Rally 2010 - Support from the boardsies

Options
  • 15-11-2009 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

So firstly if no one knows what the mongol rally is about it is basically a 10,000 mile drive from London to Mongolia on some of the worlds worst roads.

All the money raised goes direclty to the charities in Mongolia.

We will be funding the trip by company sponsership.

At the moment we have a facebook page promoting our team.

It would be great for all you guys to join our page and follow us on the journey next year.

Please pass the facebook page onto your friends so we can try to raise as much money for the worth while charities.

If any one wants to know more or ask any questions please feel free to post here which will also keep this thread up here for a while.

Here is our page (You can also search the group on face book.Search for Exploding Marmalade)

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=215013883272#/group.php?gid=215013883272&ref=mf

Also if there are any business' out there who want to sponser the trip please pm me.

I cleared this with Almighty Cushion about posting here.

The charities we will be supporting are on the below page:

http://mongolrally10.theadventurists.com/index.php?page=charity2010

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

Best of luck. Avoid Afghanistan if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MrEko

When driving through Soviet Russia, mongolians rally you!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

What an unfortunate name choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

MrEko wrote: »
    When driving through Soviet Russia, mongolians rally you!

I dont get it :D

The-Rigger wrote: »
    What an unfortunate name choice.

It is a bit of an invite to an terrorists we meet.:eek:

But at the same time we might get some sponsership from Chivers.:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

So firstly if no ones knows what the mongol rally is about it is basically a 10,000 mile drive from London to Mongolia with no support
    I would but I don't want to ruin the integrity of the cause..

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Never a big fan of people who want me to sponsor their holidays / travel.

Never a big fan of people who want me to sponsor their holidays / travel.
    I hate this aswell.
    You wont be sponsering my holiday.

All money raised goes directly to the charity and none is spent on getting there.
    We will be paying for that through company sponsership and advertising on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I would but I don't want to ruin the integrity of the cause..

Ahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Ah I used to love there type of things when they came around at work... I'm doing a sponsored walk in Thailand or I'm doing a parachute jump in Australia. I have no problem giving the money to a charity, but don't expect someone else to pay for your holiday.... under the guise of it being for charity

• Advertisement

Ah I used to love there type of things when they came around at work... I'm doing a sponsored walk in Thailand or I'm doing a parachute jump in Australia. I have no problem giving the money to a charity, but don't expect someone else to pay for your holiday.... under the guise of it being for charity

See my response two posts above.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I read the title and thought this was about the Special Olympics.

Shame on me.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

floydmoon1 wrote: »
    Please pass the facebook page onto your friends so we can try to raise as much money for the worthwhile charites.

"The worthwhile charities" ?

You haven't posted a list of them here nor on your Facebook page.
    Can you provide a list of the charities who will receive money and in what proportion ?

Sorry I really should have posted this earlier

http://mongolrally.theadventurists.com/index.php?page=charity2010

I dont know how percentage wise it is divided.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Goodluck OP, seems like a good cause...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

A friend of mine did it this year, I've asked him to join the fb group.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

floydmoon1 wrote: »
    Hey guys.

So firstly if no one knows what the mongol rally is about it is basically a 10,000 mile drive from London to Mongolia on some of the worlds worst roads.

All the money raised goes direclty to the charities in Mongolia.

We will be funding the trip by company sponsership.

At the moment we have a facebook page promoting our team.

It would be great for all you guys to join our page and follow us on the journey next year.

Please pass the facebook page onto your friends so we can try to raise as much money for the worthwhile charites.

If any one wants to know more or ask any questions please feel free to post here which will also keep this thread up here for a while.

Here is our page

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=app_2344061033&ref=mf&gid=215013883272#/group.php?gid=215013883272&ref=ts

Also if there are any business' out there who want to sponser the trip please pm me.

I cleared this with Almighty Cushion about posting here.

how much to enter... i dont use facebook, im a real man. :rolleyes:

Pdfile wrote: »
    how much to enter... i dont use facebook, im a real man. :rolleyes:

When you say enter do you mean sponsership or entry to the rally?

For anyone that doesnt have facebook we will have our own website soon where people can donate through so will put the link up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Correct and right, if you are really that interested there are plenty of worthy causes in Ireland.

This stuff ,quite frankly , is getting tiresome.

• Advertisement

Correct and right, if you are really that interested there are plenty of worthy causes in Ireland.

This stuff ,quite frankly , is getting tiresome.

If we followed this logic we would only support charities within our own community.

As already said no money raised through fundraising goes towards getting there.It all goes directly to the charities.

We have already paid out an entrance fee of 800 euro out of our own pockets.

Incorrect, you can do both.

Can you outline your charity history in Ireland over the past three years.??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Good luck with the fundraising OP and the best of luck with the rally. :)

Don't mind those that say they won't donate because they are not going to contribute to a "holiday" or they'd prefer to donate to locat charities etc., that's just rubbish.

I think you'll find that most of the most vocal complainers prefer to complain and will sit on their asses and not do anything for any charity. The majority of people that have complained and given you grief about your charity haven't donated to the SSF either, I'm sure they'll come up with some elaborate excuse why that's a bad charity too.

Fair play to you for actually doing something. ;)

If anyone here has any interesting fundraising ideas or would like to fundraise for us please Pm me.

TheZohan wrote: »

Don't mind those that say they won't donate because they are not going to contribute to a "holiday" or they'd prefer to donate to locat charities etc., that's just rubbish.

I think you'll find that most of the most vocal complainers prefer to complain and will sit on their asses and not do anything for any charity. The majority of people that have complained and given you grief about your charity haven't donated to the SSF either, I'm sure they'll come up with some elaborate excuse why that's a bad charity too.

Very vague generalisations Sir, have moderators now access to the bank accounts of the people who post here?

I would strongly suggest sir, that you withdraw that unfounded allegation.

In case you have overlooked it, people in here have free will to donate to whom or what charity they support.

To suggest that just because they don't donate to the SSF is indicitave of their general altruism is quite frankly an abuse of your position.

I urge you Sir ,to withdraw that statement.

Very vague generalisations Sir, have moderators now access to the bank accounts of the people who post here?

I would strongly suggest sir, that you withdraw that unfounded allegation.

In case you have overlooked it, people in here have free will to donate to whom or what charity they support.

To suggest that just because they don't donate to the SSF is indicitave of their general altruism is quite frankly an abuse of your position.

I urge you Sir ,to withdraw that statement.

My post was as a poster, being a mod has ZERO to do with it.

Can you back up your very personal allegation that the posters who are rightly sceptical about this "sit on their arses and do nothing"

Because if you can't I think a withdrawel of that post might be wise?

Can you back up your very personal allegation that the posters who are rightly sceptical about this "sit on their arses and do nothing"

Because if you can't I think a withdrawel of that post might be wise?

If you are going to quote me please do so, do not twist my words to suit your own post.
    I think you'll find that most of the most vocal complainers prefer to complain and will sit on their asses and not do anything for any charity.

The above is what I said, I did not refer to posters in this particular statement.

Fair play to you for actually doing something. ;)

Did you actually go into the records and check that out?

I take exception to that post sir and once again urge you to withdraw it.

• Advertisement

Did you actually go into the records and check that out?

I take exception to that post sir and once again urge you to withdraw it.

I did not say all. I do not have access to any records except what is available to all posters on the forum and that is what has been publicly pledged.

Advertisement