Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble setting up AV Sender

Options
  • 15-11-2009 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi,

I was hoping that someone could help me with some trouble that I am having setting up the AV sender set that I purchased today. I reckon the problem is very basic as I don't have a clue about techy stuff at all!

I got UPC in during the week and it is set up in the living room. THere is one scart socket in the back of the UPC box and a scart cable attaches the UPC box to one of the two scart sockets on the back of my TV.

In my bedroom I have a TV with one scart socket.

I purchased a Nikkai AV sender kit today and it has two little boxes. One is 'transmitter' and one is 'receiver'. I have plugged the transmitter into the power source and connected it via the scart cable provided into the second scart socket in the back of my living room tv. I have set the channel option on the back of it to channel '4'.

In my bedroom I have connected the 'receiver' box to the power source and its scart cable into the one scart socket in the back of the tv. I also set it to channel '4'. Problem is that I cannot seem to pick up picture from it at all!

Both have little red lights on and when I try with the tv remote in the bedroom to program it in I can see the little red light flashing so I think that it would be responsive if I could get the tv to accept it.

The Tv in the bedroom has a number of 'source' options. However, regardless of what 'source' I set it to it will not give me any picture (except the DVD player which is built in and picking up fine or the TV source which is picking up the Irish channels from my rabbit ears receiver). On the 'Scart' source it is telling me 'no signal' same for DTV etc. I imagine that it is under the 'scart' option that I should see the programs as the receiver is connected through a scart cable? I have also switched the 'channel' options with them each on '1', '2', '3' or the previously mentioned '4' but no change.

I feel like such an idiot as these seem to be so easy to set up. I don't have broadband that could be interfering with it, but it is telling me 'no signal' rather than me getting a crap signal.

The manual is so technical with its talk of PAL and NTSC and all this that I have no clue what it is on about.

Can anyone give me some pointers as to what I might be doing wrong / what I should try?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

snowfinch wrote: »
    Hi,

I was hoping that someone could help me with some trouble that I am having setting up the AV sender set that I purchased today. I reckon the problem is very basic as I don't have a clue about techy stuff at all!

I got UPC in during the week and it is set up in the living room. THere is one scart socket in the back of the UPC box and a scart cable attaches the UPC box to one of the two scart sockets on the back of my TV.

In my bedroom I have a TV with one scart socket.

I purchased a Nikkai AV sender kit today and it has two little boxes. One is 'transmitter' and one is 'receiver'. I have plugged the transmitter into the power source and connected it via the scart cable provided into the second scart socket in the back of my living room tv. I have set the channel option on the back of it to channel '4'.

In my bedroom I have connected the 'receiver' box to the power source and its scart cable into the one scart socket in the back of the tv. I also set it to channel '4'. Problem is that I cannot seem to pick up picture from it at all!

Both have little red lights on and when I try with the tv remote in the bedroom to program it in I can see the little red light flashing so I think that it would be responsive if I could get the tv to accept it.

The Tv in the bedroom has a number of 'source' options. However, regardless of what 'source' I set it to it will not give me any picture (except the DVD player which is built in and picking up fine or the TV source which is picking up the Irish channels from my rabbit ears receiver). On the 'Scart' source it is telling me 'no signal' same for DTV etc. I imagine that it is under the 'scart' option that I should see the programs as the receiver is connected through a scart cable? I have also switched the 'channel' options with them each on '1', '2', '3' or the previously mentioned '4' but no change.

I feel like such an idiot as these seem to be so easy to set up. I don't have broadband that could be interfering with it, but it is telling me 'no signal' rather than me getting a crap signal.

The manual is so technical with its talk of PAL and NTSC and all this that I have no clue what it is on about.

Can anyone give me some pointers as to what I might be doing wrong / what I should try?

Thanks

You need to connect it to the chorus box,not the tv

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭snowfinch

Hi Jackncoke,

Thanks for your reply. I did try this option last night in an effort to make it work. Connected the transmitter directly into the UPC box, but unfortunately it made no difference. I was still getting a 'no signal' message on the other tv. Think I've given up now. I have no clue how to sort it!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

If there are 2 scart connections on your UPC box, ie tv and video, try connecting to both. I had a similar issue with an NTL box and found that it would only work on one scart for some reason. Then try the everything else. Doublechecking that you've got the right channel on both units and if all else fails try plugging the "receiver" where the transmitter should go. I know it sounds ridiculous but I got one years ago that was labelled incorrectly. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 BlueTexel

Hi
    I have the exact same problem as Snowfinch, and I'm a complete novice too. I've searched other boards for help but you are the first I've found in the same situation as me! I bought a Directional Dome 5.8GHz kit from Maplin. Both SCART leads are marked receiver so I emailed Maplin asking if that is the problem, as I assume one would be marked receiver and one transmitter if marked at all, but haven't had a reply as yet. I did try swapping the leads to no avail, and a different SCART/phono lead switched to send, but still "no signal". I've tried altering the output of the Sky digi box from PAL to RGB. I too have the red lights which react to the TV control, and the IR channel changing connection works a treat - I can change the living room channel while upstairs (shame I can't watch it up there!). I've tried it in every possible scart socket. I haven't tried swapping the 2 actual units, but one has the IR 'mouse' attachement to activate channel changing on the Sky box so I assume that HAS to be the transmitting one as the other unit doesn't have that. Help? :(

Just realised too, although it was marketed as Directional Dome, it is made by Nikkai, same as snowfinches. I tried it with different TV's and a Virgin digi box but had the same result, nothing! I'm taking it back tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭snowfinch

Hi Blue Texel

I eventually got mine to work in some fluke fashion about a week later. I switched my digital tv in my room back to an older analogue one, have the receiver in the scart socket, have the transmittor in the living room attached to the Chorus box and have the analogue tv set to channel 'AV'. That picked it up. Have no idea why it wouldn't work on the flatscreen digital one I had in the room. That is now in my flatmate's room working off the multiroom connection fine.

Not sure if any of that would help you though. THe reception is only ok with interference coming from somewhere. Wish I'd forked out for a more expensive set but with only a month to go until I'm in the other room with the multi-room cable it wasn't really worth it...

Good luck!

Snowfinch

Hi Snowfinch
    Thanks for that. I did try it with an older portable TV which I think may be analogue, but that didn't work. I'm fairly convinced that as both scart leads are marked "receiver" that's where the problem lies. Maplins own info leaflet for av senders says "SCART cables supplied are often not interchangeable: Make sure you use the correct SCART for the receiver or transmitter". Otherwise why mark the scart lead at all if it doesn't matter which one you use. I'm taking it back today, I give up!
    Blue

An update ... I took the kit back to Maplins and no hassle they replaced it with a kit with correctly marked scart leads - one transmitter and one receiver. As soon as I mentioned the scarts both being marked as receiver he replied "there's your problem then". It now works perfectly! Great picture. :)
    Blue

• Registered Users Posts: 10 niall.boland

I have a nikkai a/v sender but I do not have a spare scart socket as are taken up by the sky plus system. Is there a way around this to broadcast the signal upstairs with out affecting recording of programs?

Hi Niall
    Buy one of those SCART multi plugs so you can have SCART feeds from several sources into one. There's automatic switching and switchable types. I had to use one in the system and it works fine, I went for an automatic switching one. I've also got a signal booster on the incoming AV cable as every time you split it you lose quality.
    Hope this helps
    Pauline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 austin1972

Has anyone got a diagram for how this works?
    With directions of the signals & plugs inputs / outputs etc??

Please help

Hi
    I've always found that what works on one setup doesn't necessarily work on another, for whatever reason. Just try and work it out logically, draw your system, working from the dish/aerial to a booster. Then from that to Sky box - which will all use coaxial cable. Then Sky box to splitter and so on - most likely using SCART leads. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 austin1972

Thanks Mr Texel!, I give it a go!

Advertisement