Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oh Diafine, my Diafine.

• 15-11-2009 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭

I think I've found my ideal film/developer combo for those long winter months. Tri-x (which I was already quite fond of :rolleyes: ) in Diafine. It gives it a 1+2/3 stop push or thereabouts, people generally recommend shooting at 1250 or so for best results. 1250 is a nice speed. You can push it to 1600 with no problems, and 1250 means you can shoot outside in gloomy weather but still use your filtering of choice (yellow for the most part in my case)

Just finished scanning a roll which I shot over the last few weeks. Pretty good results for 1250 grainwise, the only thing is that it tends to produce really flat results in less than contrasty conditions (which is the whole point really, it's a compensating developer) so you have to often add a touch of contrast in PP. Better than having an overly contrasty negative to begin with though, contrast is easier to add than take away !

Ease of use : Toasty ! It's a two bath developer which doesn't care about temperature and time. You pour solution A in, agitate gently once a minute for about 3-4 minutes, drain it, add solution B and do the same thing, and bobs your uncle. Idiot proof development, which is something I obviously appreciate :D

Two examples ... I'll add more as I upload.

4105839645_48e1abcb5c.jpg

4105824043_ac2f61d437.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

He looks like a learned Politician in #1, wise beyond his years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

He looks like a learned Politician in #1, wise beyond his years.

AR, wise, politician? You joining the establishment?

OP, hard to tell exactly from the sizes posted but it looks good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

nilhg wrote: »
    I was puzzled too, I think he meant to say 'corrupt and venal beyond his years' but that'd reflect badly on my poor 20 month old son so I discarded that notion :D

OP, hard to tell exactly from the sizes posted but it looks good to me.

I know, pesky boards size. They're linkrd to my flickr, If you're a contact you can see the original 5000x4000 scans IIRC how my account is set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I know, pesky boards size. They're linkrd to my flickr, If you're a contact you can see the original 5000x4000 scans IIRC how my account is set up.

Only 321 x 500 I'm afraid. Nice dev'ing though. Very crisp for 1250.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I have you down as a friend on Flickr Daire but you may not have me as a contact because I can't see the larger sizes. They look great though.

• Advertisement

Ah right, just changed that now to 'contacts', should be ok now ...

That grain is beautiful.

I need to get a London darkroom set up.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    That grain is beautiful.

It is quite lovely isn't it ? Normally I'm chary of opening up my original sizes. Not from privacy concerns, more because my focusing often tends to be a bit slapdash and I shoot right down the bottom of the scale shutter speed wise. In short, my technique really isn't up to examination at 100% :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

um... when you say ''Diafene''... do you mean.... the painkiller??????

[please pardon my ignorance :o]

In short, my technique really isn't up to examination at 100% :D

Era, don't worry about that, as long as you're happy with the pics, who cares :)

Nope, here is is!

Unfortunately, this stuff won't be curing too many a headache :)

• Advertisement

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Unfortunately, this stuff won't be curing too many a headache :)

Although ... http://www.flickr.com/groups/parodinal/
    I kept on meaning to try that when I went through my coffee developer phase. Never got round to it. Apparently it produces results that are indistinguishable from Rodinal. I'm unadventurous, I just use Rodinal.
    artyeva wrote: »

Nope. As Fajitas so ably points out, it's Diafine. Diafine is a two bath compensating developer. Basically it works by dumping the film into solution A, where the emulsion soaks up the development agent, and then into solution B, where an activator starts the development on the soaked up agent from solution A. In the highlights the development soon uses up all the available developer so the highlights don't get blown out, but the shadows get a chance to develop for whatever amount of time the film is in sol B so you get good shadow detail. The only proviso is that it has to be in both solutions for about 3-4 minutes with gentle agitation.

In effect it's sort of like stand development but without the adjacency effects that can be a little objectionable sometimes, particularly in 35mm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

ok - now who feels stoopid :D

i'll be setting up my darkroom in the next few weeks and have already aquired some rodinal and rodinal special - daire - would you mind if i pm'd you and picked your brain a bit as to what else i need and where i could get it? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

nilhg wrote: »

Tony Benn, a living legend.
    Dennis Skinner.
    Tony Gregory.
    Joe Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Is there anybody in the Dundrum area who could develop a BW film? It takes a lot of effort to get into town and I'm not interested in doing it myself at the moment.

artyeva wrote: »
    ok - now who feels stoopid :D

i'll be setting up my darkroom in the next few weeks and have already aquired some rodinal and rodinal special - daire - would you mind if i pm'd you and picked your brain a bit as to what else i need and where i could get it? :o

Might be better starting a new thread, (or keeping it in this one I guess). There are quite a few regular and semi-regular posters on here who do their own development. You'll get a much better range of advice, and it's a learning experience for all !

I guess there'd be no harm in a developing tips and woes thread either though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

great neg scans, really nice results too ( your excitement is justified) and the really subtle soft greys are ideal for portraits of kids or women, skin tones are perfect

Printing these though (in a darkroom for the digi-heads) you might loose this softness unless you pick a paper developer that is a soft one, ie. a metol only developer that doesn't have any hydroquinone in it... all the standard ilford developers have the combination of both these chemicals, Dektol has more hydroquinone still. If one of those is used you'll loose a percentage of those soft tones, that the neg scans are indicating are present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

My favorite combo was Ilford PanF and Microfine when I used to develop, slow film, but the detail and grain in the 6X7 negs was amazing, and when you find your favorite combo a bit of experimentation with developing times and temperature can really educate you.
    Good to see the real art hasn't died, not that I'm knocking digital, it's instant gratification or disappointment but there's more gratification from taking a pic, developing the film, tripping over things in the red darkroom/bedroom, dodging and burning with your hands, messing it up and having to do it again at a different grade, but when you finally get that print right, the endorphins flow in abundance.

But my durst enlarger hasn't seen the light of day in a long time, my film cameras have been passed on so I take advantage of technology, it's much handier and less hassle, although I think it takes away from learning the art of photography, everything can be automatic so some people dont fully understand why or how they got the shot they did.

Simplicius wrote: »
    great neg scans, really nice results too ( your excitement is justified) and the really subtle soft greys are ideal for portraits of kids or women, skin tones are perfect

Printing these though (in a darkroom for the digi-heads) you might loose this softness unless you pick a paper developer that is a soft one, ie. a metol only developer that doesn't have any hydroquinone in it... all the standard ilford developers have the combination of both these chemicals, Dektol has more hydroquinone still. If one of those is used you'll loose a percentage of those soft tones, that the neg scans are indicating are present.

Printing is something that I was just starting to get into when little muggins above in those pictures announced his arrival. I think I had a couple of sessions in my makeshift darkroom before packing all the stuff up and putting it away. Hopefully at some point in the indefinite future I'll have the time and space to get back into it, that digital step in the workflow sort of compromises the whole process.

Just two more as a coda to the thread :D

4113176376_91a623099f.jpg

4113150540_1c8344158f.jpg

As I scanned them I couldn't fail but to notice that all but one or two are of little muggins above. I've got to add a little more variety in future I think :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It definitely manges to keep a lot of highlight and shadow detail (Not that your exposures are anything but perfect :p ).
    I've got to add a little more variety in future I think
    Are you going to go for another boy, or a girl this time? :pac:

Advertisement