Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocked up road parrallel to pitches at Millars Lane....

Options
  • 15-11-2009 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

..... Wasn't that meant to have been opened up last week to alleviate traffic in the area?

You know the one, blocked up with boulders, where the pikey's used to set up camp.

It looked pretty much the same to me today, nothing has been done to open it.

Anybody know anything about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Col200sx wrote: »
    You know the one, blocked up with boulders, where the pikey's used to set up camp.

Are you English?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

hes trying not to offend the ethnic minority so he wont have this pavy point bunch after him.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Col200sx wrote: »
    ..... Wasn't that meant to have been opened up last week to alleviate traffic in the area?

This story surfaces ever year, that the road is to be opened, but it never happens.

The road is still owned by Morritz, the developers in the Hibernian & Dunnes complex and they have never handed it over to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

mikom wrote: »
    Are you English?

No.
    mossfort wrote: »
    hes trying not to offend the ethnic minority so he wont have this pavy point bunch after him.:D

:D
    This story surfaces ever year, that the road is to be opened, but it never happens.

The road is still owned by Morritz, the developers in the Hibernian & Dunnes complex and they have never handed it over to the city.

Oh right, hadn't known that. So chances are it won't open then.

Just I'd read in local news last week that it was 100% opening this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Link to this local news? A quick google doesn't give me anything.

Btw, don't use "pikeys", "tinkers" or "knackers" in this forum. Travellers is how this community wants to be referred to I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Magnus wrote: »
    Btw, don't use "pikeys", "tinkers" or "knackers" in this forum. Travellers is how this community wants to be referred to I believe.

I shall refrain from using them so;)
    Magnus wrote: »
    Link to this local news? A quick google doesn't give me anything.

On page 4 of Galway City Tribune Friday 13th.

Story copied here:

Opening of link road to ease
    peak-hour traffic congestion

A DECISION by Galway City Council to open up a blockaded link road between the Western Distributor Road to the Rahoon Road is set to alleviate peak hour traffic congestion.
    At a meeting on Monday night, city councillors approved proposals to open the road, which runs alongside the Millars Lane playing pitches and is currently obstructed by boulders.
    Councillor Catherine Connolly said local resident had been campaigning for a long time to have the road declared as a public road.
    She added that it would be of huge benefit to commuters during peak morning and evening journey times.
    “Although it has taken some time, the good news is very welcome. The opening up of the road and the removal of the boulders will certainly help to alleviate some of the traffic congestion in the area, but it should also be instrumental in enhancing the area.
    “Up to now, the closed-off road with boulders was very unsightly and there was a huge problem with illegal dumping. The declaration as a public road and its use will certainly alleviate these difficulties.
    “The next step is the enhancement of the Millars Lane facilities themselves and the opening up of the Millars Lane walkway as a very special pedestrian facility,” said Cllr Connolly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I dont know what they're smoking really as both the Western Distributor and Rahoon road terminate on the Bishop O' Donnell / Seamus Quirke mess. So this will do little if nothing to traffic flows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

it would only provide another road to block up. people trying to make a short cut and all that. its probably better off as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I don't think opening the road will do much at all to alleviate traffic problems in the area. I don't think anything other than the bypass will do that tbh. (What's the story with that now that I think of it?). Anyway, opening the road will make life a little easier for local residents. I live near to Rahoon Cemetry and so to get to the Knocknacarra Dunnes, B&Q etc. I have to drive quite a distance which would not be necessary if this road was open. Same with going to Salthill. Turning right onto Bishop O'Donnell Road from the bottom of Rahoon Road is a nightmare. By opening the new road, I could go straight onto the Western Distr. roundarout next to the entrance to Dunnes and then on to Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Wrong road Gerard, the Council are talking about the one that services the football pitch and Gort na Bró estate. It runs parallel to the one you're thinking of and IIRC was part-built by Cormicans, who built Gort na Bró.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

soundbyte wrote: »
    Wrong road Gerard, the Council are talking about the one that services the football pitch and Gort na Bró estate. It runs parallel to the one you're thinking of and IIRC was part-built by Cormicans, who built Gort na Bró.

That is the road i am thinking of. I used to live in Gort na mBró.

Maybe i got the developer wrong...

Advertisement