Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate wants to break joint lease

Options
  • 15-11-2009 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I recently renewed my lease for 12 months with my housemate and it is in both our names. We had a bit of a ruck lately and the landlord has been in touch with me to let me know that my housemate now wants to move out. My housemate hasn't been around the last couple of days and hasn't said anything to me about it herself.

My question is really can she do this? I am happy enough in the house but can't afford it by myself, but also don't like the idea of living with a total stranger. Neither of us are entirely happy living with the other but I'd pick her over a stranger! The landlord wants us to come to an amicable arrangement as their finances are such that they can't afford for us to break the lease. I wasn't aware that either of us breaking a fixed term lease was even an option.

Any advice as to what my options are? I gather from some googling that if she wants to go and the landlord is happy to let her go then we both have to leave (as we're joint tenants) and I don't really have a say. Our landlord is very nice and is trying to do the best thing by everyone, but it seems I'm powerless in this situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Well thats a pain.

Can she do this?

Well thats really up to your landlord. A lease is a binding agreement which a lot of people forget about. Techinically she is liable to pay the outstanding amount on the lease unless she gets someone to replace her. She can offer someone to take her place, truth is if the landlord refuses this then the landlord has little comeback.

Are you powerless?

Pretty much to be honest but you have a few choices. I'd consider either getting someone else by yourself that you want to live with or roll the dice with whoever the landlord gets to replace you. Your other option is to take this oppertunity to get out yourself

One thing i would explain to the landlord is that you have no intention of covering all the rent and until someone is found to replace you will be paying only yourshare of the rent.
    The only reason you should search for someone yourself is to find someone you want to live with. If you dont mind then leave it to the landlord to sort out.

I've been in that situation sorta. It sucks and its now worse because of the total lack of communication from your housemate.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, if you both signed a single lease, you are both liable for the full rent, not just your halves of it.

Advertisement