Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping on Lug na Quilla

Options
  • 15-11-2009 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I'm thinking of climbing lug with a few friends soon and was wondering are we allowed to camp on the summit? Also, what would be the most picturesque route up, if that makes any sense. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Tells

Yes you're allowed. I always follow the http://www.leavenotraceireland.org/ ethics and would hope everyone else does.

You could park at the Glenmalur hostel then walk up Fraughan rock. Head west to spot height 625 and the straight up onto the spur of Cannow Mountain, follow the spur up to the summit of lug. I'd usually come down by Clohernagh and Arts Lough. It would be my favorite route up Lug.

Remember to take lots of extra clothing as it will be considerably colder up there than down at ground level.

Enjoy..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I thought you're not allowed camp anywhere in wicklow though it's impossible to enforce so people do anyway.

Bit of a cold windy exposed place to camp anyway imo

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Bit of a cold windy exposed place to camp anyway imo
    I agree ... regardless of the legality of it (would rather depend on the landowner, whoever that is ... WMNP?) I can't imagine a less suitable spot for camping either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Alun wrote: »
    I agree ... regardless of the legality of it (would rather depend on the landowner, whoever that is ... WMNP?) I can't imagine a less suitable spot for camping either.

Have to say that was my initial thoughts as well. Read an interesting article on summit-camping in a magazine a few months back and the general advice was don't do it unless you are certain that the weather will be favourable. It also said to be prepared to up camp and get down if the need arises.. Given the time of year, it's not something I'd recommend. Was up a few mountains in the last couple of weeks and I've not hung around on the summits. Always amazing how a calm day on the summit can give way to gale force conditions on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Thanks for the replies everyone. Camping at the top was just a thought but to be honest, cold weather and strong wind does not bother me too much. However, as you pointed out, it may not be very comfortable. I have plenty of experience camping and hiking on peaks >5000feet so leave no trace ethics and safety are always at the forefront on any trip like this. Thanks for the route advice tells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Tells

You're very welcome..

http://www.wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/Recreation.html#camping Check this link in regards to camping

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If you go during a winter high pressure you should have fabulous conditions - cold but dry and clear. I've seen lads up there several times.
    If it's windier you could camp at the top of the waterfall in the Fraughen rock glen or near Arts or Kelly's Loughs. These have ample fresh water....

You could probably camp in the lee of the summit cairn too.

My favorite way up is through the Fraughen rock glen and going up by the Carrawaystick waterfall over Cloghernagh up the zig-zag tracks is good too.

You can park at Baravore Ford at the end of the tarmac road in Glenmalure or down a bit near the Carrawaystick waterfall

Anopter way in from Aughavanagh goes by forestry track up fairly high and then you can scramble up the south prison. the forestry track gets you up fairly high before you need to start climbing with your camping gear on yer back.

Advertisement