Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Bible Contradictions Thread

• 15-11-2009 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭

Why this thread?

To provide a forum for critical and reasoned debate on the blatant contradictions in both the Bibles content and the claims of its inerrancy and moral consistency made by its followers.
    Why not in the Christianity thread?

See rule 1. of the Christianity charter:
    1. The purpose of this forum is to discuss Christian belief in general, and specific elements of it, between Christians and non-Christians alike. This forum has the additional purpose of being a point on Boards.ie where Christians may ask other Christians questions about their shared faith. In this regard, Christians should not have to defend their faith from overt or subtle attack.
    Why is it relevant to A&A?

There are many posters in this thread who believe that religion is the source of much trouble in our country/world, with the Catholic church at the forefront in the former. This thread could serve as a resource to debase the very moral authority that Catholicism claims, or simply display to Boardsies why so many people abandon religious belief.
    Can we post funny yet relevant videos?

Yes, of course you can:

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for Atheism ever conceived.
    - Issac Asimov

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Allow me :)

Firstly those who claims its literal inerrancy are nuts.
    We could discuss the discrepancies, but could I suggest that we avoid the Literal Inerrant proponents idiotic responses and focus on the more accepted Christian views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Perhaps, seeing that the RCC don't have a literalist view of the Bible. I guess this thread will probably take it's own life anyway. Although I think people should take care when saying whether they are criticising a literalist view, or whatever.

Perhaps, seeing that the RCC don't have a literalist view of the Bible. I guess this thread will probably take it's own life anyway. Although I think people should take care when saying whether they are criticising a literalist view, or whatever.

Awesome! (Twice in one night, A&A must be interesting.:))

Well, methinks, these illustrations do the job the better than I could.

I love this guy's channel

Here's a video where he deals with textual criticisms of scripture :
    Well Worth a listen/watch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I guess this thread will probably take it's own life anyway.
    I can see exactly where this thread will go. A few well worn examples will be trotted out, Jakkass and PDN will arrive to correct perceived misinterpretations (as is their right), everyone will bogged down in the tiny details, words like exegesis and and conflation will be bandied about and everyone will get a bit ratty.

It's all a bit pointless imo - none of us believe the bible is anything but a collection of made-up stories anyway.

Perhaps, but as it stands this forum remains the only place where such threads can be posted.

Yes, he did.
    Matthew 20:18-19
    Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be betrayed unto the chief priests and unto the scribes, and they shall condemn him to death, And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and the third day he shall rise again.

Matthew 26:31-32
    Then saith Jesus unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock shall be scattered abroad. But after I am risen again, I will go before you into Galilee.

Mark 8:31
    And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.

Mark 10:33-34
    Saying, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be delivered unto the chief priests, and unto the scribes; and they shall condemn him to death, and shall deliver him to the Gentiles: And they shall mock him, and shall scourge him, and shall spit upon him, and shall kill him: and the third day he shall rise again.

Mark 14:28
    But after that I am risen, I will go before you into Galilee.

Luke 18:31-33
    Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished. For he shall be delivered unto the Gentiles, and shall be mocked, and spitefully entreated, and spitted on: And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again.

No, he did not.
    John 20:9
    For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise again from the dead.

Yes, he did.

No, he did not.

As far as I am aware,

Matthew Mark and Luke's gospels differ in some bit from John's.

Video I posted (serious watch Allsaintsmonastry's channel) gives a brief explanations as to why.
    I'll leave it to PDN:p to give the more detailed link.

PDN once said to me that it is like having four journalists covering a soccer match. There will be discrepancies in the reporting and some gaps will be left out cause nothing interesting happened. However, the spine of each story will match up.

This explanation seems reasonable except when you think about what these 'journalists' were writing about, and that they were allegedly guiding by none other than God himself.

To make his analogy more complete I would say it is like four journalists were sent to cover a one-off match where the greatest players of all time were resurrected and/or brought back to their prime and were playing a match to save the earth (for some reason). Under those circumstances, you would be bloody sure that these journalists would record every minute of the match, and discrepancies would be minimal.

Despite this analogy, it falls down unless you stipulate that the 'journalists' were asked to cover the game at least fifty years after it happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Considering that the vast majority of people on this forum in a poll said that they hadn't read the Bible, with many saying that they never intend to it is quite interesting that people deem themselves qualified to discuss based on this topic without doing so / intending to do so :confused:

I anticipate the following:
    People will not distinguish the differing relationships that God has with the Jewish people pre-Christ, to the relationship that God has with people of all nations who choose to follow Him post-Christ.

People will ignore Covenantal Theology when assessing the Scriptures.

People will not contextualise adequately based on the above.

People will resort to mere googling of lists that people have compiled (and which fall short on closer analysis), hence buying the thoughts and opinions of others without thinking for themselves.

This thread will be more concerned with confirmation bias based on assumptions, pre-conceptions rather than actually engaging with the texts.

I'll be interested to see what the tangible outcome is however :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Shouldn't this thread be in the comedy section?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Jakkass wrote: »
    Considering that the vast majority of people on this forum in a poll said that they hadn't read the Bible, with many saying that they never intend to it is quite interesting that people deem themselves qualified to discuss based on this topic without doing so / intending to do so :confused:

Tbh I'd be surprised if the amount on the Christian forum who have read it is higher than here.
    I anticipate the following:
    People will not distinguish the differing relationships that God has with the Jewish people pre-Christ, to the relationship that God has with people of all nations who choose to follow Him post-Christ.

Yes, the idea of a being who exists outside of time changing his mind over a time period will probably be laughed out of here like it would in most places, since there's no charter protection. It is quite hilarious actually.
    Dades wrote:
    A few well worn examples will be trotted out, Jakkass and PDN will arrive to correct perceived misinterpretations (as is their right), everyone will bogged down in the tiny details, words like exegesis and and conflation will be bandied about and everyone will get a bit ratty.

Pretty much I reckon.

Not before the defence of genocide and "the people wanted to made into salves/raped" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

What you mean to say is that people won't accept the excuse that there was a "differing relationship" as somehow justifying the horrendous actions of a being that's supposed to be perfectly moral. If that monster is perfectly moral I'm proud to say I'm not

I'm all ears for this one.

Explain to me why all those benign acts God were justified?

toiletduck wrote: »
    Not before the defence of genocide and "the people wanted to made into salves/raped" :rolleyes:

I've found no evidence that the Bible encourages rape. Rather it condemns it on several occasions in the Old Testament itself.

We've also been through the slavery one before.

Sam Vimes: I'm not entirely in agreement on the Old Testament being "horrendous". Neither are many in the Christianity forum.

Malty_T wrote: »
    I'm all ears for this one.

Explain to me why all those benign acts God were justified?

For some of the stuff the excuse is that they see no explicit approval but of course other parts of the bible that also don't show explicit approval are the word of the LORD!!!

There's also the method of using parts of the new testament to give "context" to the old, which of course forgets that the Jews did not have access to this context that gave them the "true" meaning of the passage

Then there's simply declaring that whatever was done was moral because moral is defined as "whatever god does". A christian need never accept that there is any immorality in the bible because their moral standard is defined by the bible. That's why christian women never become teachers or have authority over men and why they remain silent. Oh no wait they just ignore the bits they don't like or exegesise them until they mean something else

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    There's also the method of using parts of the new testament to give "context" to the old, which of course forgets that the Jews did not have access to this context that gave them the "true" meaning of the passage

Or. That the full meaning wasn't revealed to them as yet. They still had a means of a relationship with God.

Anyhow, as a Christian, I discuss Christianity, not Judaism. Although I do find Judaism interesting.

Sam Vimes: I'm not entirely in agreement on the Old Testament being "horrendous". Neither are many in the Christianity forum.

I'd be surprised if they did. They give god a free pass to commit immoral acts and call them moral because of who he is. Believers throughout history have shown a willingness and even eagerness to commit immoral acts if they think it's what god wants. It's one of the many things that show the inferiority of religious morality because it's based on the logical fallacy of an argument from authority instead of reason

Or. That the full meaning wasn't revealed to them as yet. They still had a means of a relationship with God.
    Yes they had a means of a relationship that is considered extremely immoral because apparently god didn't explain it to them properly. I don't care what christians now think it means based on the new testament because the Jews could not possibly have taken the same meaning from it. The objective moral standard they received from Yahweh is different to the objective moral standard you received from him
    Anyhow, as a Christian, I discuss Christianity, not Judaism. Although I do find Judaism interesting.

Ah yes I forgot about this one. They'll refer to the old testament at will in sermons and in their daily lives and interpret it and justify it until the cows come home but when all else fails they do a bit of Pontius Pilate and wash their hands of it. This was the old version of their unchanging perfectly moral god and it's madness to ask christians to justify the things their god prescribed and did before his son was born :rolleyes:

What criminals should do is commit any crime they want and then have a son. The christian judge will no doubt acquit him on the basis that those things were done before his son was born and that he's changed now.............even though he's an unchanging perfectly moral being :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Here are a few contradictions and inconsistencies that spring to mind:

How did Judas die?

Was it by hanging as claimed by Matthew, or did he fall and burst open as in Acts?

What did the companions of Paul witness on the road to Damasus?

Did they hear the voice from Heaven but see no visions as Acts 9 claims or did they see a see a vision but hear no voice as Acts 22 claims?

With Jesus or against him?

In Matthew Jesus declares "Whoever is not with me is against me", in Mark he declares "Whoever is not against us is for us". Did Jesus really say both these things as both cannot be true at once or is one of our sources mistaken?

When did Jesus perform his second sign?

According to John 2:11 Jesus performed his first sign at the wedding feast of Cana, then in John 2:23 he goes to Jerusalem and "many people saw the miraculous signs he was doing and believed in his name", however in John 4:54 Jesus returns to Galilee from Judea and performs his "second sign".

In other words Jesus performs his first sign, then goes off and performs numerous further signs, then later performs his second sign. This is a tough one to explain for people who promote Biblical inerrancy, but easy for those who don't as it is actually a literary seam which shows that the author was not recounting events he witnessed but was instead copying from an early source and was not paying attention whilst doing so.

Born a second time?

In the Gospel of John Jesus is talking with Nicodemus and Jesus says "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again", Nicodemus is confused and wonders how a person can return to his mother's womb to be reborn and so Jesus clarifies that he meant that you must be born from Heaven to see the kingdom of God.

This passage hinges on a double entendre for the Greek word "again" - ἄνωθεν (anothen). It can either mean "a second time" or it can mean "from above". In this passage Jesus intended it to mean "from above" but Nicodemus misunderstood and took the wrong meaning from it. This is a problem as there is no similar ambiguity in Aramaic, which is the language that Jesus and Nicodemus would have been speaking. This passage is dependent on the conversation being in Greek and completely fails when it is translated back into Aramaic, it simply makes no sense in its supposedly original context.

Yes they had a means of a relationship that is considered extremely immoral because apparently god didn't explain it to them properly. I don't care what christians now think it means based on the new testament because the Jews could not possibly have taken the same meaning from it. The objective moral standard they received from Yahweh is different to the objective moral standard you received from him

The objective moral standard is pretty much the same. How God deals with sin, is different.

I don't consider it immoral to reveal a message in context for different people, at different times, in different circumstances. I don't see how the relationship between the Israelites and their God is immoral in the first place.

Each step of revelation was bringing us closer to the advent of Christ.
    For since the law has but a shadow of the good things to come instead of the true form of these realities, it can never, by the same sacrifices that are continually offered every year, make perfect those who draw near.

^^ an idea of my understanding of the Torah.
    Ah yes I forgot about this one. They'll refer to the old testament at will in sermons and in their daily lives and interpret it and justify it until the cows come home but when all else fails they do a bit of Pontius Pilate and wash their hands of it. This was the old version of their unchanging perfectly moral god and it's madness to ask christians to justify the things their god prescribed and did before his son was born :rolleyes:

I'm sure Christians can and do justify what God did in the Old Testament, however we also have to factor in the likelihood of futility in doing so.
    What criminals should do is commit any crime they want and then have a son. The christian judge will no doubt acquit him on the basis that those things were done before his son was born and that he's changed now.............even though he's an unchanging perfectly moral being :confused:

God didn't commit any crime. In fact I don't even think God did anything that could be considered horrendous in consideration.

God has remained the same. In fact what is sinful morally has remained the same since the first revelations.
    I'd be surprised if they did. They give god a free pass to commit immoral acts and call them moral because of who he is. Believers throughout history have shown a willingness and even eagerness to commit immoral acts if they think it's what god wants. It's one of the many things that show the inferiority of religious morality because it's based on the logical fallacy of an argument from authority instead of reason

If God is the standard of morality, He cannot commit anything against His own standard.

The objective moral standard is pretty much the same. How God deals with sin, is different.
    "Pretty much" the same is not the same.
    I don't consider it immoral to reveal a message in context for different people, at different times, in different circumstances. I don't see how the relationship between the Israelites and their God is immoral in the first place.

Each step of revelation was bringing us closer to the advent of Christ.
    Simply the act of revealing different messages is not immoral but if one of those messages permits the owning and beating of slaves along with conquest and enslavement in the name of god then it certainly is immoral. And if the moral message changes over time then it's not an objective standard, it's one based on cultural context and is as variable as any secular standard. Why would we even read the bible for a moral standard? God could pop down tomorrow and give us the "context" in a new revelation that changes everything. Suddenly killing could be moral again as it was whenever god commanded it in the old testament.

God didn't commit any crime. In fact I don't even think God did anything that could be considered horrendous in consideration.
    Yeah sure I wiped out the whole human race except for two people last week for the craic. Nothing immoral about that at all
    If God is the standard of morality, He cannot commit anything against His own standard.
    Yes that's what I said, well done on restating my point :confused: There's probably little point arguing that anything in the bible is immoral because christians don't define morality as "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" as people who base their moral standards on reason do, their moral standard is "whatever the bible says is moral" and things that would be immoral if we did them suddenly become moral if god apparently commands them.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

The "God is morally right by definition" argument has always bothered me and it's that sort of belief that lends credence to Christopher Hitchen's "anti-theist" stance IMHO. What it essentially describes is a totalitarian regime - one all-powerful figure who is always right no matter what he does, who is beyond question or reproach and who demands loyalty and dishes out punishment and torture (eternally) for all those who fail to obey him.

Who would really want to exist in world such as this? Where minor infractions (minor by definition when a human lifespan is finite and eternity is not) can earn you perpetual torture and damnation? Where, for the crime of worshipping the wrong God, or none at all, you get to wallow in misery and pain forever?

And I'm sorry but the argument that "all you have to do is accept this regime and abide by the rules and you'll be fine" is just the worst kind of apologetics. Just ignore the illusion of free will, and turn a blind eye to all those poor souls languishing in hell forever for the heinous crime of "believing the wrong thing" for a finite amount of time.

It's a sickening and frightening hypothesis, but one for which, happily, there is so little evidence.

Dades wrote: »
    It's all a bit pointless imo - none of us believe the bible is anything but a collection of made-up stories anyway.

But you are missing the point of what I said above:
    To provide a forum for critical and reasoned debate on the blatant contradictions in both the Bibles content and the claims of its inerrancy and moral consistency made by its followers.

Whether we believe the Bible to be total fantasy or not is irrelavent, what matters is that the contents of the Bible and its followers affect public life. If they are claiming absolute moral authority and consistency, then they better be able to back it up. Since they are too afraid to have this debate in their own forum, this is the best place for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hey, it's your wall - feel free to bang your head against it. :)

Dades wrote: »
    Hey, it's your wall - feel free to bang your head against it. :)

I honestly don't think that I am going to get Christian posters to proclaim that the Bible is errant(?) or that Gods morals are not consistent, much like we don't expect JC or Wolfsbane to declare that Darwin was right all along in "that" thread.

But that's not really the point, Dades. Is it?

Simply the act of revealing different messages is not immoral but if one of those messages permits the owning and beating of slaves along with conquest and enslavement in the name of god then it certainly is immoral. And if the moral message changes over time then it's not an objective standard, it's one based on cultural context and is as variable as any secular standard. Why would we even read the bible for a moral standard? God could pop down tomorrow and give us the "context" in a new revelation that changes everything. Suddenly killing could be moral again as it was whenever god commanded it in the old testament.

We've been through the slavery argument, and I've demonstrably shown that in all cases slave holders were required to respect the rights of slaves. If in any case people did not adhere to those standards, slaves were allowed to flee and find new life elsewhere.

Again, not just typical anachronism of assuming that in the Israelite context it was the exact same as in the colonial context, but a strawman of the text to boot.

I don't see how that is variable. This is the viewpoint put across by Paul in the New Testament in addition to what has gone before.

What would be the point in God popping down? It is fairly evident that there is a reason behind why He revealed His message in the way that He did. Particularly if we are to presume that God is omniscient.

You make the patent assumption that:
    1) There was a new revelation
    2) That everything changed.

On 1. there is one revelation from beginning to end, one big picture, but there are two Covenants, or relationships between God and mankind. Same message, different contexts.

2. How did everything change? From what I can tell the message that Jesus brought to mankind is very consistent with what had gone before.
    Yeah sure I wiped out the whole human race except for two people last week for the craic. Nothing immoral about that at all

God created life as a gift, and He has the right to take it away if we aren't willing to live in accordance with the moral law in my view of it.
    Since they are too afraid to have this debate in their own forum, this is the best place for it.

It's not about being afraid, it's about normal rules of etiquette in discussion. An etiquette which has too often deteriorated when skeptics have posted there.

• Advertisement

Let's just keep this blunt:

Jakkass,

Are you saying God was completely correct in causing the Egyptians to suffer and die?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I've found no evidence that the Bible encourages rape. Rather it condemns it on several occasions in the Old Testament itself.

We've also been through the slavery one before.

In both instances you are ignoring how the Old Testament instructs the Hebrews to treat conquerer prisoners of war. All the "nice" laws for the humaine treatment of slaves apply to fellow Hebrew slaves, not prisoners of war (the spoils of war)

The Bible never says you can rape them because the Bible doesn't recognize that what it is saying the Hebrew soldiers can do is an immoral act.

It does say you may take the virgins for yourselves and force them to marry out after which you may have sex with them. The issue of whether they want you to or not is completely absent from these helpful instructions. There is no requirement that you actually determine this.

The Christian response to this that I've come across most often is that just because a Hebrew soldier kills her entire family, takes her for his wife, brings her back to his lands, and then tries to sleep with her after 7 days doesn't mean she doesn't want to sleep with him, and it is only anti-Christian assertions that this is in face rape. The next common one is that while this may be bad by modern standards it is actually much better than being left in the desert to die, and thus they are doing a good thing by bringing them back as wives and the least they could do is to give themselves freely.

It is these sort of moral smoke screen responses (not suggesting you use these, I await your response) that sends shudders down the spines of atheists like myself.

Let's just keep this blunt:

Jakkass,

Are you saying God was completely correct in causing the Egyptians to suffer and die?

Were the Egyptians correct in causing the Israelites to suffer and die for 400 years? Yes or no will suffice.

Exodus
    If an ox gores a slave, the owner of the ox must pay the owner of the slave 30 shekels of silver, and "the ox shall be stoned." 21:32

Leviticus
    God tells the Israelites to make slaves out of their neighbors and their families. The "heathens" and "strangers" are to be their possessions forever. 25:44-46

Joshua
    God curses the Gibeonites to be slaves of the Jews forever. 9:21-27

1 Chronicles
    The sons of Reuben made war with the Hagarites and "there fell down many slain, because the war was from God." They did pretty well for themselves, too, in God's war, taking 250,000 sheep and 100,000 slaves. 5:18-22

2 Chronicles
    Pekah killed 120,000 people in one day and enslaves 200,000 women and children "because they had forsaken the Lord God of their fathers." 28:6, 8

Job
    To start off God and Satan's gruesome game, Job's slaves and animals are killed. 1:14-17

Psalms
    If you ask God, he'll force heathens to be your slaves and help you "dash them in pieces." 2:8-9
    The saints praise God while they kill and enslave "the heathen." 149:5-8

Zechariah
    God will make "all nations" fight against Jerusalem. The women will be "ravished" and half its people enslaved. 14:1-2

Not a free servant in sight.

Flamed Diving: I have no interest in discussing unless you have -
    Read these passages for yourself, and not only read them, but made an effort to contextualise them instead of copying and pasting them from the Reason Project, or the Skeptics Annotated Bible.

I could take as little effort and just google for Christian based answers. However, I want to actually engage with the argument. I expect you to do the same.

Were the Egyptians correct in causing the Israelites to suffer and die for 400 years? Yes or no will suffice.

No, the Egyptian government was not correct in causing the Israelites to suffer and die for 400 years.

Was God correct in genociding the children of Egypt in response to the crimes of the Egyptian leaders? Yes or no will suffice.

• Advertisement

Charco wrote: »
    Here are a few contradictions and inconsistencies that spring to mind:

How did Judas die?

http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/2846
    According to ancient tradition, Judas hanged himself above the Valley of Hinnom on the edge of a cliff. Eventually the rope snapped (or was cut or untied), thus causing his body to fall headfirst into the field below, as Luke described. Matthew does not deny that Judas fell and had his entrails gush out, and Luke does not deny that Judas hanged himself. In short, Matthew records the method in which Judas attempted his death. Luke reports the end result.

http://home.teleport.com/~salad/4god/judas.htm
    In other words, the Acts verse set can't describe
    an actual physical falling, but it can describe
    Judas's falling from God... his SPIRITUAL falling
    from God after losing all his mercy and kindness.

Therefore the two accounts do in fact align:

* Matthew describes how Judas PHYSICALLY died.
    * Acts describes how Judas SPIRITUALLY fell from God.
    http://www.tektonics.org/gk/judasdeath.html
    Matthew does not even describe Judas' death at all. Here is how one site puts it:

The Greek word translated "hanged himself" is the word apanchomai which is used in Greek literature to mean choking or squeezing one's self as with great emotion or grief. In English we have a similar expression when we say that someone is "all choked up." We do not mean that they have died. We mean that they are overcome with emotion. Judas cast down the pieces of silver in the temple and left doubling himself over with grief.

http://www.errancy.com/how-did-judas-die/
    # Judas hanged himself, then his dead body fell and burst open:

The account in Acts doesn't say that Judas's fall was what caused his death. It's perfectly possible that he hanged himself, and then his dead body fell and burst open. The two passages therefore don't contradict each other.
    # Judas unsuccessfully hanged himself, and then fell and burst open:

The account in Matthew doesn't say that Judas's hanging himself was what caused his death. It's perfectly possible that he tried to hang himself, but was unsuccessful, and he then fell and burst open. The fall may have happened when the rope broke, or some time later, but in either case both passages would be true and they therefore contradict each other.
    # Judas didn’t fall headling; he swelled up:

Where Acts reads "falling headlong" it should read "becoming swollen". Judas hanged himself, and then his dead body swelled up in the heat, eventually bursting open.
    The bible is not wrong because I can interpret in such a way as to make it seem possible that it is not :rolleyes:

The fact is that one passage says he hanged himself and the other says he fell headlong and burst open. For a story to be inerrant not only must everything it says be true but it must include all relevant information. Leaving something out of your story such as the very important part of how the guy died is an error. You can go on all day about theories about how they don't contradict each other but even if they don't, neither one gives the full story. Maybe the gospel writers all "forgot" to include the following passage in their books:
    the events described herein are entirely fictional. Any similarity to actual persons living, dead or previously dead are entirely coincidental

Read these passages for yourself, and not only read them, but made an effort to contextualise them instead of copying and pasting them from the Reason Project, or the Skeptics Annotated Bible.

I could take as little effort and just google for Christian based answers. However, I want to actually engage with the argument. I expect you to do the same.

I thought people might like to see the related quotes. I cited the book and chapter/verse, so they can look up the context, if they wish to.

Ok, if a human being is held as the property of another human, no matter what the rules are for holding him, treating him nice, not killing him if he runs away, etc; this is still slavery. Just because the scenario allegedly does not match the Africian slave trade to the Americas, does not change the definition. It is still slavery if you own another human being as your property, even if the slave willingly agrees to this.

If God condones Israelite manservants (or whatever the apologist term is), then he condones owning another human being as your property.

I just made an attempt to contexualise the contradiction in the death of Judas and I found 6 different explanations. Which one should I pick?

Or should I go with my gut instinct: these people are making it up as they go along because they don't want to admit these contradictions exist

Of course they weren't.

Now was God correct?

I just made an attempt to contexualise the contradiction in the death of Judas and I found 6 different explanations. Which one should I pick?

Or should I go with my gut instinct: these people are making it up as they go along because they don't want to admit these contradictions exist

With Respect,

You need to be careful who you're quoting.
    If you are quoting literal inerrant whackjobs please stop, as they tend to be worse than creationist arguments.
    Try to find the more sophisticated (and respected) theologians answers (e.g Vatican, Anglican Bishops etc).
    These people admit there are errors/disrepancies within the bible, so it's their understanding we really need to establish and debate. Not the pathetic nutters.

• Advertisement

Here is a really great video made by a former Christian where he recalls the trouble reconciling the Judas problem.

With Respect,

You need to be careful who you're quoting.
    If you are quoting literal inerrant whackjobs please stop, as they tend to be worse than creationist arguments.

Try to find the more sophisticated (and respected) theologians answers (e.g Vatican, Anglican Bishops etc).
    These people admit there are errors/disrepancies within the bible, so it's their understanding we really need to establish and debate. Not the pathetic nutters.
    I linked to where I got each of the explanations. The generally accepted version is that Judas hanged himself and then the rope broke or someone cut him down and he fell headlong and burst open but that's not what either story says

At this point we reach the inevitable problem with biblical interpretation, that neither of us can say the other is wrong because our interpretations are untestable. I'm reading it as it's written and when I see two different stories I say "those stories are different" but that's because I don't have a religiously motivated desire for the stories not to be different so I make no attempt to come up with theories to try to explain the discrepancies in a way that makes them appear not to be discrepancies. I call a spade a spade whereas they come up with a theory that the spade may actually have been a figurative spade meant to symbolise something or other and then condescend to me when I call BS on their interpretation.

One thing I can do though is that when they come up with an interpretation to try to explain away an apparent error I can use the correct meaning of the word in saying "it's just a theory" ;)

Also, at best the stories both leave parts out leaving us to question what else might have been left out of the various retellings of events. Maybe Jesus never died at all?

I linked to where I got each of the explanations. The generally accepted version is that Judas hanged himself and then the rope broke or someone cut him down and he fell headlong and burst open but that's not what either story says

At this point we reach the inevitable problem with biblical interpretation, that neither of us can say the other is wrong because our interpretations are untestable. I'm reading it as it's written and when I see two different stories I say "those stories are different" but that's because I don't have a religiously motivated desire for the stories not to be different so I make no attempt to come up with theories to try to explain the discrepancies in a way that makes them appear not to be discrepancies. I call a spade a spade whereas they come up with a theory that the spade may actually have been a figurative spade meant to symbolise something or other and then condescend to me when I call BS on their interpretation.

One thing I can do though is that when they come up with an interpretation to try to explain away an apparent error I can use the correct meaning of the word in saying "it's just a theory" ;)

Also, at best the stories both leave parts out leaving us to question what else might have been left out of the various retellings of events. Maybe Jesus never died at all?

Yeah, but you see you kinda missed my point.
    Alot of Theologians acknowledge the contradictions and don't even bother offering ridiculous excuses for them.

When it comes to Jesus's death there is more than one source telling us about meaning they have a better credibility and consistency behind the idea that the character of Jesus reportedly died.

Reading, or rather glanicing, through a long winded post on Tubridy, I realised something that I really should have asked you guys ages ago.
    The Bible seems to be based solely on eye witness accounts e.g Matthew,Mark,Luke and John are only researched reports of eyewitnesses accounts on the story of Jesus.

So em, doesn't that mean we can now easily compare it to the Joe Coleman apparitions, or is there more to it than that?
    Does the book have anything that it could be argued is written in Real Time, or close to it?

(I was considering posting this in a separate thread, but I think here will suffice)

Yeah, but you see you kinda missed my point.
    Alot of Theologians acknowledge the contradictions and don't even bother offering ridiculous excuses for them.
    If there are high ranking people out there who are ready and willing to acknowledge that the bible contains errors and not twist themselves up in knots trying to explain away all the contradictions I want to find those people and hug them. Not to mention tell them to shout a bit louder so everyone else can hear.

I would be interested to hear how those people justify that stance though. The bible is the only source we have for any of these events so its accuracy is crucial. Once you acknowledge that the bible contradicts itself how do you know if any of it is an accurate retelling?

Do they just decide that those details don't matter and say that the message is the only important part or something?
    When it comes to Jesus's death there is more than one source telling us about meaning they have a better credibility and consistency behind the idea that the character of Jesus reportedly died.

I picked Jesus' death randomly, I don't know exactly what any of the stories say about it. Although if you look at the youtube video I posted above you'll see that the stories don't really have what could be described as consistency

We've been through the slavery argument, and I've demonstrably shown that in all cases slave holders were required to respect the rights of slaves. If in any case people did not adhere to those standards, slaves were allowed to flee and find new life elsewhere.

Again, not just typical anachronism of assuming that in the Israelite context it was the exact same as in the colonial context, but a strawman of the text to boot.
    A slave who is treated well is still a slave. It's quite easy to respect someone's rights when they have pretty much none. The owners were allowed to beat their slaves so you've demonstrably shown nothing I'm afraid. All you've done is show that there were limits to how badly they could beat them and that if they managed to escape they weren't forced to go back, neither of which excuse anything. I'm not assuming anything in any colonial context, I am getting my interpretation of biblical slavery entirely from the bible
    What would be the point in God popping down? It is fairly evident that there is a reason behind why He revealed His message in the way that He did. Particularly if we are to presume that God is omniscient.
    Who are you to question why god would do something? He works in mysterious ways after all.

edit: also, you might want to ask Muslims and Mormons what the point was in god popping down to them (or sending someone to pop down to them)
    On 1. there is one revelation from beginning to end, one big picture, but there are two Covenants, or relationships between God and mankind. Same message, different contexts.
    I am talking about the period in between the writing of the old testament and the writing of the new. There is one big picture to us but the picture the Israelites had was very very different. Theirs was a god that commands people to murder their children to test their faith and turned people to pillars of salt. That's not the god anyone I know believes in. Please don't point out that he didn't make Abraham go through with it, he still commanded it
    2. How did everything change? From what I can tell the message that Jesus brought to mankind is very consistent with what had gone before.
    Oh right so I'm off to get circumcised and throw up that shellfish I ate earlier. And I suppose I'll have to marry that girl I raped and never divorce her.
    God created life as a gift, and He has the right to take it away if we aren't willing to live in accordance with the moral law in my view of it.
    As I said, morality is whatever god says is moral. If god kills millions of people, that's moral, if god commands his followers to kill people, conquer their lands and take their women for themselves, that's moral. Thank science I'm an immoral atheist

A slave who is treated well is still a slave. It's quite easy to respect someone's rights when they have pretty much none.

I suppose if someone can square the circle that is the oxymoron "respect the rights of slaves" the rest of the contradictions in the Bible will be no problem :pac:

Wicknight wrote: »
    No, the Egyptian government was not correct in causing the Israelites to suffer and die for 400 years.

Was God correct in genociding the children of Egypt in response to the crimes of the Egyptian leaders? Yes or no will suffice.

Yes he was:
    For I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation.
    You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,
    The Lord God, merciful and gracious, . . . that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation."
    "For as in Adam all die, . . ."

No he wasn't
    The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father.
    The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

Take your pick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Take your pick

It's almost as if it was written by fallible human beings who had heard a story spread around during the bronze age

Yes he was:

No he wasn't

Take your pick

Well when it's unclear we must take the bible code's decision into account.

God was correct : 30.
    God was wrong : 90.

Ergo, God was wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement