Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Projects

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Sophsxxx wrote: »
    Hi!
    I was just wondering if anyone had any topic ideas for a history project?
    I'm thinking something to do with the IRA or nationalism but as it has such a vast history, I really don't have any ideas of what aspect to do.
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Research who was actually in the GPO in 1916, and compare it with the list of people who claimed the IRA pension for being in the GPO in 1916. Then name the chancers in their respective local newspapers to give people all over Ireland a laugh. You'd definitely get great publicity.

You could even write a book on it with the provisional title going something like, 'Hiding Under the bedclothes in 1916' with a subtitle, 'Sunshine Soldiers and Hurlers on the Ditch, 1916-1922'

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jetaime

Is this for the Leaving Cert project? Have a look at what happened to Hanna Sheehy-Skeffington's husband Francis in 1916...he was shot in spite of being a pacifist. It's a really sad and interesting story. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

Yep it is! Unfortunately, I can't submit my project from last year for some stupid reason! Yeah, I'll look into Francis skeffington...that story sounds intriguing.
    Thanks! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Thread moved to Leaving Cert forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Look back at the dozens of threads on this very subject of the research topic on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Do something really obscure.

I was going to do mine on the 'The Noble Experiment' aka the Prohibition period in the US. Didn't do it in the end as it gave me nightmares about not being able to drink...

Obscure doesn't really work at leaving cert level since they'll probably only have access to secondary sources and not a lot of them at that. It might be easier to just go through the different question options and pick something that can't relate to them-from what I remember you can't answer on the same topic twice, so its important that the project isn't something that will feature in another question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Enid.

I'm doing mine on Harvey Milk, my History teacher had never heard of him and well, let's just say I'm surprised she's OK with it, considering she didn't let past students do a project on Roger Casement cos he's *rumoured* to have been gay. Yeah.

My classmate is doing the hunger strikers in Northern Ireland, it's a different side to the whole IRA/nationalism topic and I think it could be interesting. I'm sorry I don't have any more ideas, I just saw the words "history project" and got excited :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think Josephine Baker would make an excellent subject. Plenty of stuff available about her and she was way ahead of her time.

Enid. wrote: »
    I'm doing mine on Harvey Milk, my History teacher had never heard of him and well, let's just say I'm surprised she's OK with it, considering she didn't let past students do a project on Roger Casement cos he's *rumoured* to have been gay. Yeah.

Are you not worried she'll kick up a stink when she sees what its about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

No she won't, if it's good she won't care. I wonder whether that Roger Casement story is just a school rumour that's untrue. Casement is one of the most popular research topic personalities and if anything, I would advise against studying him for that reason.

PS. Casement was gay :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Enid.

I was at first, and then once I'd explained his story to her she was actually OK. I was kinda surprised though, she's an extrordinarily backward human being :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

I'm thinking of doing mine on Henry VIII and his six wives, I'm reading a book on it now and it's really interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

Dirty Protests.

Enid. wrote: »

My classmate is doing the hunger strikers in Northern Ireland, it's a different side to the whole IRA/nationalism topic and I think it could be interesting. I'm sorry I don't have any more ideas, I just saw the words "history project" and got excited :D

I've a friend doing Harvey Milk too! Do you have the names of any good sources on it? He's only got the 1 at the mo, namely that Mayor of Castro St. one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MeSophie

I did mine on Jesse Owens, Very good topic and I found it interesting, you should look into it

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I've a friend doing Harvey Milk too! Do you have the names of any good sources on it? He's only got the 1 at the mo, namely that Mayor of Castro St. one.

Try google books for sources. It gives you a good idea of what the book would contain and I found it useful before ordering books from Amazon. For some of the books you can view a chapter or two and others are fully uploaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ptrlaurent

The Dieppe Raid 1942

The Battle of Guad Canal

The Nixon visit to China

The Assassination attempts on Gerald Ford

The French 1st indo china war

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MangoLime

You can do anything you want, as long as you can make it history(and it's in the time period you're allocated). For example, when I did my leaving I did Arthur Miller the playwright. I talked about a few of his plays and how they impacted society. My teacher also told me that a few years back there was a girl who did the project on shoes!

My advice would be to take something that your interested in, like a hobby, and see if there's anything historical about it that you could talk about.

Best of luck!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

I done mine on Hillsborough. Do it on something that is easy and you relate to. I done that because I'm a pool fan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I would avoid obscure. I did the history and lives of geisha/geiko in Kyoto, Japan. The marking suffered and I definitely would have gotten higher than the B2 overall. (I looked at the paper and project afterwards).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Dirty Protests.

bit of a sh!t idea if you ask me

sorry, couldn't help it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I did mine on Tito. I recommend personalities and you can limit it to certain part of their lives and I think it's quite easy.

If you're doing something on nationalism and the IRA...maybe a flying column leader or something like that??

I would have been interested to do it on someone like Ernie O'Malley, Rory O'Connor, The O'Rahilly or maybe Tom Clarke. Or O'Donovan Rossa.

All interesting characters and famous Irish nationalists. Harry Boland could be a good one too. Depending on the sources...but I know there's loads of books about Ernie O'Malley.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TommyMaher

Im doing my special topic on "the effects of immigration on british music culture between 1960-1970" and I'm wondering would anyone know any good sources I can use for it? Books and newspaper and magazine articles from the time would be perfect, anything generally reliable as a source!
    if anyone knows anything could you post on here
    thanks,
    tommy.:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

TommyMaher wrote: »
    Im doing my special topic on "the effects of immigration on british music culture between 1960-1970" and I'm wondering would anyone know any good sources I can use for it? Books and newspaper and magazine articles from the time would be perfect, anything generally reliable as a source!
    if anyone knows anything could you post on here
    thanks,
    tommy.:D

There are a couple of very good documentaries on this, particularly in this series.

Any reason why you are only starting in 1960?

spurious wrote: »
    There are a couple of very good documentaries on this, particularly in this series.

Any reason why you are only starting in 1960?

theres no particular reason I'm statring in that period, other than Ican use the beatles as an example of this.

would an earlier or later time be more suitable?

theres no particular reason I'm statring in that period, other than Ican use the beatles as an example of this.

would an earlier or later time be more suitable?

Well the big wave of West Indian immigration started just after the war. they would have brought their own music and aided the development of ska in Britain.

You could also cover the development of reggae, the emergence of two-tone groups, the whole Bhangra scene, even the Irish music scene among immigrant groups. Lots of possibilities.

I've been searching around and so far can't think of anything I can zone in on specifically to kind of narrow things down for it would The Punk movement be something thats within the time zone I can use for the topic?

I've been searching around and so far can't think of anything I can zone in on specifically to kind of narrow things down for it would The Punk movement be something thats within the time zone I can use for the topic?

Not sure how you would link the punks to immigration, but there are lots of essays you could do focussing on the influence of the punk movement.

http://rockandrollreport.com/a-history-of-punk-music-and-its-effect-on-british-culture-and-society-2/

http://www.studentpulse.com/articles/612/what-riot-punk-rock-politics-fascism-and-rock-against-racism

It makes me feel old that times I lived through are in history essays now. :D

• Advertisement

I've decided that I'm doing mine on the political involvement of The beatles in america it I think It'd be much more doable and easier to find sources. would you know of any books?

Advertisement