Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Projects

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Hi, so I'm only a TY but I'm going to do History for the Leaving Cert. I'm just wondering whether or not I should look into what topic I could do so I can get an idea for 5th year? This year we have covered some local History, but it has very little detail and would be hard to research. We have also done Tom Barry, which interested me due to the conflict which occurred about the of the Kilmichael Ambush which I could cover and look into in good detail.
    Hopefully I'm not annoying you but what must you cover in this project? Where online could I look at what is required by the examiner? Thanks in advanced for any help you can offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AaronTipp

I was going to do Rationing in Ireland during The Emergency as my project but can't seem to find books on it. If anyone knows good books on this topic please tell me. Or if you know other good projects to do it on that would be much appreciated also. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

AaronTipp wrote: »
    I was going to do Rationing in Ireland during The Emergency as my project but can't seem to find books on it. If anyone knows good books on this topic please tell me. Or if you know other good projects to do it on that would be much appreciated also. Thanks.

There are people still alive who remember rationing - talk to them. Look at newspapers from the time, Dáil debates etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Troxck wrote: »
    Hi, so I'm only a TY but I'm going to do History for the Leaving Cert. I'm just wondering whether or not I should look into what topic I could do so I can get an idea for 5th year? This year we have covered some local History, but it has very little detail and would be hard to research. We have also done Tom Barry, which interested me due to the conflict which occurred about the of the Kilmichael Ambush which I could cover and look into in good detail.
    Hopefully I'm not annoying you but what must you cover in this project? Where online could I look at what is required by the examiner? Thanks in advanced for any help you can offer.

enjoy ty now worry about the lc next year. But if you are looking for a project pick an era that interests you eg 1916 then narrow it down eg pearses role in the rising

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

I chose a couple of months ago to do my history project on the Space Race and my history teacher told me that the topic would be fine to do.

Yesterday I found out from some of my friends from another school that do history and who have done the american part of the syllabus that the space race is included in the american part of the syllabus. So does that mean that I won't be able to do my project on the space race as it's already included in the syllabus?

I've already acquired my sources for my project and I have started a bit of work on it already. I would just like to know about this before I do any more work which I may have to scrap. :(

Any help would be appreciated. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭crow2

Hi,can I do something on the early life of Adolf Hitler ? I do the US part of the course for LC so I wont answer anything related to Hitler in the LC exam

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I think so. It's irrelevant what books you do since it's on the course anyway, but if it's his early life it should be fine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭crow2

Anybody else knows? This is urgent ¥

The hard thing about Hitler is that he is hugely overdone in the lc, so the examiner is looking for something that will stand out. Pick a certain area of his youth, like when he first joined the german workers party, his activitiy with them in the early 1920s, or even the beer hall putsch. Pick a topic you are really interested in. I am obsessed with ww2 and the nazis so I done the influnence of Rudolf Hoess in auschwitz. Auschwitz may be overly popular but I done it in a viewpoint that isn't popular so it would stand out. They want to narrow things down dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

I have 1726 words in my project will the examiners care its over the limit?

• Advertisement

mossy95 wrote: »
    I have 1726 words in my project will the examiners care its over the limit?

Its not too bad, but I'd read through it maybe see if there is anything you can cut out thats small :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

could just do the work yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1 silverice

LOL I've already got a Geo and Engineering project to do. Besides, I have one but the teacher keeps giving me D2s and D1s on my drafts with no feedback at all. Really regret doing Hist but oh well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

silverice wrote: »
    Hey guys, new to this.

Have a question. My brother bought his LC Hist project off a guy last year in our neighbourhood. He's at Trinners studying Hist and he has formatted loads of his essays and changed them into LC projects inclusive of outline plan, evaluation etc. I've asked him and he said he'd give me one for €30. Not bad at all. Chances of being caught? Nothing happened my bro anyway...

Chances of being caught? Oh I dunno...

You publicly state your intentions and rat your brother out too (good one).
    SEC contact boards again and look for your IP.

Priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Danny180.

Guys does anyone know what the deadline is for the special topic project...left mine till last week (bit silly) ?

The official one doesnt have to be in until April but sometimes schools set deadlines in advance like mine is at the end of march

April 26th.

And I presume the reason schools forward the deadline is so that they have time to be posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Police Tape Chalk Line

Just wondering, what are you doing for your project?? And have you much done/left to do?

Just wondering, what are you doing for your project?? And have you much done/left to do?
    I'm doing "Aidan McCarthy and the treatment of POW's during WW2". Have a book called "a doctor's war" based on him.Have the outline plan done have 2 websites and reading the book and underlining points.then when finished the book have to evaluate the sources and write my essay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

I'm doing mine on the fall of the Romanov dynasty. Narrowed it down mainly to how Tsar Nicholas II contributed to his and his family's executions. I found it really interesting, found some brilliant books by Robert K. Massie on the family. Only about half way through but I did that it about 2 hours, I'll finish it over the mid-term.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 MrCraigButler

im doing mine on the Munich massacre at the 1972 Olympics , easy enough , just talk about the black September terrorist organisation and just a timeline of the events .. happy i choose it

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Police Tape Chalk Line

Aeternum wrote: »
    I'm doing mine on the fall of the Romanov dynasty. Narrowed it down mainly to how Tsar Nicholas II contributed to his and his family's executions. I found it really interesting, found some brilliant books by Robert K. Massie on the family. Only about half way through but I did that it about 2 hours, I'll finish it over the mid-term.

That sounds really interesting! Mines on Wernher von Braun and his involvement in technological developments during war and peace times. I'm on my 2nd draft of the extended essay, and I have a quick outline plan done. I'm a little worried about my sources though, I have only one book, and the rest are online resoures..

That sounds really interesting! Mines on Wernher von Braun and his involvement in technological developments during war and peace times. I'm on my 2nd draft of the extended essay, and I have a quick outline plan done. I'm a little worried about my sources though, I have only one book, and the rest are online resoures..

I'm using an online source for mine as well as a few books. Our teacher just stressed that it's really important to put in the date that you took the information from the website in case it gets amended at all, and of course not to use wikipedia. :p

Yours sounds really good too! I was really looking to do a topic that I found interesting myself and that I hadn't heard of anyone else doing, most of my class are taking the really predictable choice Michael Collins and Hillsborough :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Patbla

Hi,
    I'm thinking of doing mine on the loughgall ambush.Any ideas on this.Would I be better of doing it on a certain person?
    Any help would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

hI. Was thinking of doing mine on the impact of the building of the titanic in belfast ??? What you think ?????

hI. Was thinking of doing mine on the impact of the building of the titanic in belfast ??? What you think ?????

There'll be loads of sources available for that anyway I'd say! It sounds good just make sure you have your specific aims in your outline plan and stick to them in the essay, might be a bit wide of a subject I'm not sure though. Best of luck anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Daleyford

Thank God I've mine finished.. decided to go with "How Margaret Thatcher brought about social and economical change in GB during her years in Government"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I've finished mine as well but going to polish it up when my mocks are over. My topic was on "The rise and fall of the Manchester United Busby Babes"

If you haven't started now I would really get cracking on it after the mocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    My topic was on "The rise and fall of the Manchester United Busby Babes"

Know an insane amount of people that are doing the, "Munich Air Disaster" or "Busby's Babes." At least five altogether. Must be alongside, "(Insert locality here) War Of Independence/Civil War tragedy" the most popular project. Doing mine on the transfer of power from the Anarchists/Trotskyists to the Communists on the Republican side during the Spanish Civil War. Having second thoughts about my choice, but its a bit late now. Have to start it during the mid-term.

Advertisement