Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 Blacktop in Port Tunnel

Options
  • 15-11-2009 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

might sound like a stupid quedtion but bugging me for long time. how did the tippers/artics empty into hopper of paver during laying of blacktop in theport tunnel. i persume the bodies could not be fully extended due to height restrictions. (coat and had ready for obvious answer!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Completed tunnel height is about 4.9m (4.6 or so operationally), which would probably be enough room to operate a tipper truck (carefully...!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 clutch her

yea it may be that height in the centre but if the carraigeway was laid in 2 rips the height would reduce alot towards the sides..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Good point. Maybe there's an ejector-type trailer for bituminous/asphaltic material?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 clutch her

not that i know off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Probably used rigid tippers or maybe even dump trucks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Couple of shovels and whackers in the corners :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The tipper dumps the asphalt into the paver in the centre and the paver moves the asphalt out to the edge of the carriageway so tipper trucks wouldn't have been operating near the edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,367 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The permanent lighting, venting and sensors weren't in place!

Advertisement