Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Adored Old Dog Has Cataracts

Options
  • 15-11-2009 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi

Our old boy is a black cocker spaniel, just passed his 13th birthday. He's the baby of the house, our little fella...

He's just changed vet (for the better, as it turns out), and issues that the previous vet neglected have now arisen. He had an op last week to remove a tumour at his rear end and, as ever, made an amazing recovery. He's always full of life and a remarkably happy chap!

Unfortunately he has cataracts in his eyes and they are really starting to effect his sight.

He is with my folks in Kerry and we are considering having at least one eye operated on.

Does anyone have any advice to offer on this. I've been told that it would need to be done in Limerick?

My dad will speak to the vet on Wednesday when himself has to go back to get his stitches taken out, but I would be very interested in getting feed-back from other boardsie animal lovers.

Thanks in advance...

Esmeralda :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

We had a Springer who had very bad cataracts when he was older, he managed quite well without full sight. We asked the vet about his quality of vision and they said it get fuzzier and more blurry unitl it is only shapes and some colours they can see. We didn't have him opperated on because he was very old and his quality of life was not compromised by his dodgy vision - he was very happy, loved walks and snoozes, and knew his way around the house and garden (he was an indoor dog) even without the best sight.

It really depends on your own dogs situation, because our chap spent 80% of his time sleeping, was used to the layout of the house, and to our other dogs (although, we did get more while we had him which he initilly didn't take to too kindly - he did get used to them though), was very old and wasn't distressed by his lack of vision in any way we didn't see the need to put him through the opperation(s). But it could be different for other dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Esmeralda34

Hi lorebringer

Thanks so much for your response.

Our guy is an indoor dog too (his bed has prime position by the fireplace!). The vet did previously say that he should be fine in his own space that he's familiar with, but mum has said that she's noticed a sudden deterioration. When he goes to his water bowl he drinks the water from the very edge of the bowl, mum thinks it's because he can only see the defined edge. Also when he comes in from walks he can be a little disorientated at times.

He's become deaf too and has become quite clingy. He's a real people person, just loves company and I suppose if he can't hear us, we would want him to at least see us in the room with him...

It's difficult when I'm not there to see him myself. I'll have a clearer picture when I go home in a few weeks time.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and telling me about your Springer...

All the best

Esmeralda

Advertisement