Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palestinians to seek UN endorsement of indepedant state

Options
  • 16-11-2009 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Palestinian authorities have announced their intent to gain recongition of an independant state from the UN. I can understand the Palestinians lack of faith in Israel pressing forward with the idea.

In theory, a two state solution shouldn't be a problem.. But key issues regarding Israel's illegal occupation of areas (such as East Jeruselem) will provide to be the main issue for Israel not accepting an independant state.

The US will most likely veto any such move. Regardless, I think that this should be pushed forward. Israel were more than content to receive internationa recognition for their state, and should now offer the same to the Palestinian people.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

The Palestinian state would collapse rather quickly in a civil war between rival groups I would believe.

What the hell, let them have their own state. Maybe that will stop the whining from those pro nazi jew haters.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

SLUSK wrote: »
    Maybe that will stop the whining from those pro nazi jew haters.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

I dearly hope they get it.

Obama has one big card up his sleeve-the amount of US money that flows into Israel each year. That would soften Netanyahu's cough somewhat.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

You know, I don't understand why they haven't tried it before.

That said, should they try and fail, it could be very politically embarassing.

NTM

• Advertisement

Israel have stated that they would annex more of the West Bank if the Palestinians push ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Overheal wrote: »
    During his campaign, the Obamessiah was all about a Two State Solution.

he promised alot of things, but like a real politician i wont hold my breath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

Its a pity they didn't go for this over 60 years ago. It would have spared much blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

dlofnep wrote: »
    Israel have stated that they would annex more of the West Bank if the Palestinians push ahead.

They have pretty much done this already, except they don't called it annexation.

As for what the PA is trying here, well good luck to them, but I am pretty sure the US will torpedo it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

slightly off topic, but here's another chance to see the Dispatches documentary on the Israel Lobby in the UK that was aired monday night (16th Nov)

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/4od#3010424

worth a look ;)

• Advertisement

hmm was thinking

ask both Israel and Palestine to join the EU

they both can join provided both join at same time

now that would stop the bloodshed, alot more people died in fighting between european states and now theres peace and prosperity

i know its crazy how it sounds but if it stops the killing why not?

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    hmm was thinking

ask both Israel and Palestine to join the EU

they both can join provided both join at same time

now that would stop the bloodshed, alot more people died in fighting between european states and now theres peace and prosperity

i know its crazy how it sounds but if it stops the killing why not?

That's not going to resolve the problem. The Palestinians want an independent state. Israel refuses to retreat from illegally occupied territories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I don't see how it is practical when the Palestinian areas are split.

I don't see how it is practical when the Palestinian areas are split.

Explain why such a concept isn't practical. It seems practical for you when the north of Ireland is involved in the union. It seems practical for the US, with Alaska embedded in Canada.

Explain why such a concept isn't practical. It seems practical for you when the north of Ireland is involved in the union. It seems practical for the US, with Alaska embedded in Canada.

The UK is completely different, it is part of one territory. Americans visiting Alaska don't have to cross over Canada and if they do, Canada and the US stopped fighting years ago.

Palestine should be an independant state, no doubt about it, but the geography makes it very complicated. I can't see Israel giving up Jerusalem, just as i can't see the Palestinians giving it up either.

i think the only way this is going to work is for something radical to happen, like Jerusalem becoming an international city, controlled by the UN and Gaza going back to Israeli hands and the people of Gaza moving to the West bank. Mad and not well thought out i know, but something big lie this has to happen.

The UK is completely different, it is part of one territory. Americans visiting Alaska don't have to cross over Canada and if they do, Canada and the US stopped fighting years ago.

http://lib.utexas.edu/maps/united_states/n.america.jpg

They do infact. See above.

Secondly, just because the two nations are fighting - doesn't mean that they will be eternally in conflict. An independant state would ease relations, which would gradually settle the area. Secondly, Ireland and Britain were are war for years - that didn't stop them partitioning the Island.
    Palestine should be an independant state, no doubt about it, but the geography makes it very complicated. I can't see Israel giving up Jerusalem, just as i can't see the Palestinians giving it up either.

Israel must give up East-Jeruselem by demand of international law. There should be no compromise on Israel extending it's territory illegally.
    i think the only way this is going to work is for something radical to happen, like Jerusalem becoming an international city, controlled by the UN and Gaza going back to Israeli hands and the people of Gaza moving to the West bank. Mad and not well thought out i know, but something big lie this has to happen.

Why should the Palestinians make all the compromises?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

It seems that the EU and US are against a unilateral declaration by the Palestinians. However, it's not hard to see how the Palestinians feel frustrated and impotent in light of such unilateral Israeli plans.
    The Israeli interior ministry has approved planning applications for 900 new housing units at a Jewish settlement in East Jerusalem.
    Source

That's not going to resolve the problem. The Palestinians want an independent state. Israel refuses to retreat from illegally occupied territories.

wouldnt matter much once the whole area is within the EU

sort of disputes over land in N.I. became moot and the true colors got shown

I'm aware of the geography, but you see the big blue bit to the west....:)
    Secondly, just because the two nations are fighting - doesn't mean that they will be eternally in conflict. An independant state would ease relations, which would gradually settle the area. Secondly, Ireland and Britain were are war for years - that didn't stop them partitioning the Island.
    when were Britain and Ireland at war?

Israel must give up East-Jeruselem by demand of international law. There should be no compromise on Israel extending it's territory illegally.

Why should the Palestinians make all the compromises?

Well both would have to give. Both would have to give up Jerusalem, Palestine would give up Gaza, but the west bank would be enlarged, ergo Israel give up land as well.

Something radical has to happen, because at the moment, we are facing years of the same.

I'm aware of the geography, but you see the big blue bit to the west....:)

Cheeky :P Most common route is through Canada ;)
    when were Britain and Ireland at war?

It all began in 1641, fado fado..

Well both would have to give. Both would have to give up Jerusalem, Palestine would give up Gaza, but the west bank would be enlarged, ergo Israel give up land as well.

And what about all the Palestinians who live in Gaza? Why should they leave their homeland? You can't just shove an entire population a couple of hundred miles across the way.
    Something radical has to happen, because at the moment, we are facing years of the same.

I agree on this, but Israel's illegal occupation is stopping this from happening.

• Advertisement

wouldnt matter much once the whole area is within the EU

I'm not sure if you understand the concept of the EU. Individual countries are still single entitites.
    sort of disputes over land in N.I. became moot and the true colors got shown

No, they weren't. They still exist.

And what about all the Palestinians who live in Gaza? Why should they leave their homeland? You can't just shove an entire population a couple of hundred miles across the way.

I said it wasn't well thought out.:)

Israel aren't going to back down, they don't need to because they are the ones with the massive airforce. there needs to be some sort of solution where Israel concede but aren't seen to give in and lose face with the powerful hard liners.

The incursion into Gaza 12 months ago showed that they have little or no regard for international opinion, or civilian life for that matter so negotiation is the only way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

hang on a minute, whos feckin suggestin that the be allowed into the EU??

European Union folks, ie a Union for EUROPEAN nations, Israel and Palestine are not European nations, Feck I'm against lettin Turkey in meself, but Feckin Israel, have ye lost the feckin plot completley!!

how about instead of trying to force the Palestinians out of Gaza so thet some Zionists can have nice Beachhouses, lets speed up the Israeli construction projects, but then GIVE the houses to the Palestinians.

thats the only way you will get through to Israel, hit them where it hurts, their wallets

European Union folks, ie a Union for EUROPEAN nations, Israel and Palestine are not European nations, Feck I'm against lettin Turkey in meself, but Feckin Israel, have ye lost the feckin plot completley!!

how about instead of trying to force the Palestinians out of Gaza so thet some Zionists can have nice Beachhouses, lets speed up the Israeli construction projects, but then GIVE the houses to the Palestinians.

thats the only way you will get through to Israel, hit them where it hurts, their wallets

Technically, Guyane in southern America is in the EU ;) But yeah, EU membership should in theory be for European countries.

I'm not sure if you understand the concept of the EU. Individual countries are still single entitites.

No, they weren't. They still exist.

thats the key ;)

in order to join both states must first recognize each other as such and join at same time

make them cooperate and work together on single goal that doesnt involve killing each other

Technically, Guyane in southern America is in the EU ;) But yeah, EU membership should in theory be for European countries.

French Guiana is in EU fully as a French prefecture, look closely at euro notes, its there too

its a larger country than Ireland too 83,534 km2 vs 70,273 km2

European Union folks, ie a Union for EUROPEAN nations, Israel and Palestine are not European nations, Feck I'm against lettin Turkey in meself, but Feckin Israel, have ye lost the feckin plot completley!!s

im not particularly happy about what they do, but if this stops them killing each other why not?

where does it say that EU is confined to a certain geographic area?

i recommend you open a geography book there are countries outside mainland EU that are in EU, Guiana mentioned above is larger than Ireland for example

You're forgetting this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_International as well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭eamo127

SLUSK wrote: »
    The Palestinian state would collapse rather quickly in a civil war between rival groups I would believe.

What the hell, let them have their own state. Maybe that will stop the whining from those pro nazi jew haters.

Palestine as an entity exists only as a terrorist state, cannon fodder for the arab states (and of course Irelands) psychopathic hatred of Jews. Why else won't the surrounding arab states absorb the so-called palestinian people? Because they make great suicide bombers, especially against women and kids eating in restaurants.

Of course, the UN will support this 100% - any anti-Israel doctrine is automatically supported by the jew-hating UN.

eamo127 wrote: »
    Palestine as an entity exists only as a terrorist state, cannon fodder for the arab states (and of course Irelands) psychopathic hatred of Jews. Why else won't the surrounding arab states absorb the so-called palestinian people? Because they make great suicide bombers, especially against women and kids eating in restaurants.

Of course, the UN will support this 100% - any anti-Israel doctrine is automatically supported by the jew-hating UN.

unbefockinglivable :rolleyes:

yes a jew hating UN that created Israel in first place :rolleyes:

if anything judgying by how many UN resolutions Israel ignore when it doesnt suit them, they are the ones who have a problem

why not give Palestinians their state? why put a fork into every effort to establish one??

why continue to build colonies and steal resources?

im sorry but im getting rather pissed now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

You really have absolutely no idea what you're on about, do you? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Why would granting Palestine state status be anti-jewish ..... it is the stated goal of the two state solution that Israel endorses after all?

Advertisement