Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palestinians to seek UN endorsement of indepedant state

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Justind wrote: »
    Before you get all sanctimonious on me, I have already slammed in these forums as unjust, disgraceful politicking in Gaza by Olmert's party.
    I have never downsized or justified it for one second.
    :rolleyes:

Then why ignore the facts and alude to it being a debacle, it was slaughter and should be called such not ignored or side stepped to help an already floundering argument. Why the smiley face? Is it funny, am I funny,,, maybe its you whos funny

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I havent justified any displacement of Arabs in the region either.

Fair enough, my bad.
    You make out like it was some sort of utopianm, peaceful region upturned by one group of people.

I did? Care to point out exactly where I did that?

We are talking about Israel/Palestine, so not talking about the rest of the region is understandly, as it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. The conflicts in say Iraqi Kurdistan for example have nothing to do with this topic and see no point in bringing it up, I have no idea why it so important that I discuss stuff that has nothing to do with this topic.
    The two-states solution (the subject of this thread) was on offer but was thrown out. Now its wanted.

This is true, and I was providing the historical context behind this rejection.
    Maybe if European countries (this one included) had treated Jews as normal human beings over the ages, they wouldnt have felt the need for increased flight elsewhere?

Hardly the fault of Palestinians now is it?
    I will never respect the Chinese and Saudi govts preaching civil rights. Will you?

You are going wildly off topic here, and quite frankly making no sense to me.
    That was a rival Islamist movement. Thats all. Part of the opposition that I mentioned. The opposition includes competition too. Not just the secular side.

The other guys were actually more extreme than Hamas actually. You asked for an example of Hamas taking on extremists and I gave you one. This of course, doesn't make Hamas the good guys or anything.
    Lesser of two evils so-to-speak. You cannot deny the settlements in East Jerusalem and some areas of West Bank/Samaria have not increased at a rapid pace under the Bibi/Lieberman govt.

Sure, its probably increased, but ultimately the other guys were doing the exact same thing, but a little slower. The difference between the lot of them isn't as big as some would think imho.
    What do you want then? An invasion? The US will not touch that region since the 1982 disaster. Sanctions? You could try but they'll just turn to Chinese and its economic allies instead, something the US will do its damndest to prevent.

How about being even handed? Stop being complicit in the siege of Gaza? The US has plenty of options, but the simple fact remains is that they support one side and that is Israel. No point in denying it at this point in time. The US does not give a rats ass about the Palestinians, there actions have shown this to be true, time and again.
    The region has been a proxy cold war theatre since the late 50s. Nothing changes.

The USSR is gone, so that excuse is gone as well, and Iran aren't the USSR either btw.
    Strangely though, the Israeli embassy still has not had anyone protesting outside it since the debacle in Gaza this february. Where have all the protestors gone?

There was a protest in Dublin just this past weekend, I don't think it was out the Israeli embassy, but I don't think that matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Overheal wrote: »
    All I can say to that is get the US veto to step down. The only way to do that, is abide by the Negroponte Doctrine. The sooner that is done the sooner we can reach a solution.

...If there is one.

Bit of a joke, as included condemnations are always labelled as insufficiently strong. Secondly, the occupation and settlements are sanctionable if there was no such thing as Palestinian "terrorism".

Advertisement