Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for triple razer recommendations (no Gillette)

• 16-11-2009 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi,

I dont wanna pay those crazy prices for Gillette (MACH 3) anymore and looking for alternatives. I looked around and there are 3 alternatives I could find and I am hoping someone has had some experiences with any of these.

1. Lidl Triple razor (Gibellini)
    2. TESCO Triple Razor Matrix
    3. Tesco Discount Brand Triple Razor

If anyone tried any of these and likes them please let me know.

Thanks

P.S. All of these are way cheaper than Gillette

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

I know its not what your after but may I recommend the safety razor:

_MG_0583.jpg

I used a Mach 3 for years and suffered from occasional skin irritation, redness, and that burning sensation. Since I switched over my skin is perfect and baby smooth :)

Plus, you can easily pick up 50 blades online for around €15 delivered which for me is 2 years worth of shaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭rh555

Thanks I will consider that too although I would prefer to try one of those above mentioned first unless they are all crap ofcourse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a Consumer Issue.

Moved to Facial Hair & Hats

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Mataguri wrote: »
    I know its not what your after but may I recommend the safety razor:

_MG_0583.jpg

I used a Mach 3 for years and suffered from occasional skin irritation, redness, and that burning sensation. Since I switched over my skin is perfect and baby smooth :)

Plus, you can easily pick up 50 blades online for around €15 delivered which for me is 2 years worth of shaving.

Just for the curious, that's a Parker 71R that Mataguri has in his post. Lovely, lovely handle on it. Meant to be a fairly aggressive shaver. Not everywhere sells that particular Parker model, which is a shame, a no frills 3 piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

OP, by far the most comfortable shave you can get is from a single blade razor, not a double or triple one. I would keep away from those disposable things and buy a good quality razor - it will last you a life time.

The picture that Amalgam posted is a single blade, AKA Double Edge (DE), AKA Safety razor. You can get a good quality one for about 25 quid on the net. Google the brand 'Merkur'. Some of the models are more suited to beginners, so feel free to ask questions here. The blades for things are for pennies, typically 3 or 4 quid for 10!

Have a look on this forum and google 'traditional wet shaving', you will not regret it.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just following up from bothyhead's post.
    The blades for a DE shavor are really for pennies, you'll get 200 blades for about 20e so they are very good value for money :D

Really, you can get them for that cheap? Where do you pick them up, ebay?

Edit: I did a quick search on e-bay for feathers, and 200 are coming up at about 48 eur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

bothyhead wrote: »

Edit: I did a quick search on e-bay for feathers, and 200 are coming up at about 48 eur

Apart from the usual online shaving stores, keep an eye out for B&B members selling blades in bulk. I've stocked up on bundles of 100 or more at a time from
    http://www.melyus.com/
    http://stores.ebay.com/doubleedgeshavingplace

They often post special prices for members on the vendors sections of the usual shaving fora.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

bothyhead wrote: »

I priced Derbys at that, think they worked out at about 23e odd or something but I'd have to add shipping on that.

Could try chris on shaving.ie and see what price he might do them for, worth a try...especially considering he does free shipping when over 10e

Cabaal wrote: »
    I priced Derbys at that, think they worked out at about 23e odd or something but I'd have to add shipping on that.

Could try chris on shaving.ie and see what price he might do them for, worth a try...especially considering he does free shipping when over 10e

Melyus will ship you 100 Derbys from Turkey for $18, approx €12. I've placed several orders with him and he's a good guy. Prompt shipping, tracking number and he keeps you informed on order status via email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

Got to be careful with DE shaving - it seems that it is inexpensive from a blade point of view but the real expense comes from the upfront razor and the tendency to want to acquire more stuff e.g shaving brush, this cream, that soap. DE shaving can for some be a hobby that creates a fetish out of what is for many a mundane task. But it can be very pleasant if you can resist the 'I can't wait for my Italian aftershave to arrive' mindset.
    Oh and it may require you spending a lot more time in the bathroom just like when you were the age of learning to shave as a teen but probably for different reasons than back then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

Tried the Tesco Matrix, was like shaving with a cheese grater, wouldn't recommend it, the LIDL/Aldi ones are grand but get blunt a bit quick.

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

No Point skimping out on a cheap razor and having to buy multiple blades and sh!t.

Splash out on something like the Gillette Fusion power, the one that vibrates, it's what i have, does me well and the blades last a while.

Worth the money.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    No Point skimping out on a cheap razor and having to buy multiple blades and sh!t.

Splash out on something like the Gillette Fusion power, the one that vibrates, it's what i have, does me well and the blades last a while.

Worth the money.

Is that the gamer edition? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

gillette-fusion-power-stealth.jpg

That's it.

No, the one you're thinking of is the one with the twin-speed, hammer-action :p

Worth the money.

Yep because paying 14e for 4 blades is value for money :D

Cabaal wrote: »
    Yep because paying 14e for 4 blades is value for money :D

14 euro as we know is 100 DE blades, 3 shaves minimum per blade, that's a year of better shaving compared to a month of dodgy Fusion shaves.

For anyone considering switching. look at safety razors it's a no brainer - unless you like the vibrator function of your stealth gamer razor. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

gillette-fusion-power-stealth.jpg

That's it.
    Yes, I had that one, and I thought it was the dog's b******s in spite of the cost of the blades. Until I saw the light and started using a DE. So many wasted years :(,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

http://www.shaving.ie/products/The-Basic-Essentials-Safety-Razor-Starter-Kit.html

Any thoughts?

Want an alternative to paying crazy process for blades, but really hate bad razors.

What should someone on a budget buy to get started on one of those single blade razors?
    Is there a learning curve to using these razors?

• Advertisement

Has anyone tried the Lidli "Shark", only saw it for the first time in Lidl this week.

Its around 6e for the kit with three blades and you buy replacement blades for very little compared to Gillette.

shark_blade.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭source

The problem I'd have with that razor is, lidl can be hit andmiss with keeping stock levels up on that type of product. You might be able to getthe blades for a few weeks then youll be left high and dry.

DE really is the way to go.

foinse wrote: »
    The problem I'd have with that razor is, lidl can be hit andmiss with keeping stock levels up on that type of product. You might be able to getthe blades for a few weeks then youll be left high and dry.

DE really is the way to go.

Normally I'd agree with this but Lidl always stock the Gilbellini products, DE is still the best though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Alejandro M

I have to agree, Gillette blades are a rip-off in Ireland. (Like most other things). I was using Fusion 5 Blade since they came out and I must say they are very fast for shaving with, especially when you are in a hurry. The problem is the price! At around €14.00 for a 4 pack, the price is a bit steep. In the U.S. I have bought a Fusion 4 pack for $9.00, that's half the price of Ireland at €6.70 approx! They are made in Italy and exported to both countries! Ireland is in the E.U. like Italy, for now anyway! I went into Lidl and took the plunge and bought a Gibellini Shark 5 blade razor with 2 blades for €5.99. I am weary of 'cheap' razors as you do pay for quality and Gillette is an excellent product whatever you may say. I headed to the bathroom sink and prepared for the big shave! Verdict:- The Gibellini Shark is superb and I was so happy with the results that I ran back to Lidl and bought a 4 pack Gibellini Shark 5 blade razor for the mere sum of €4.99! That is €9.00 less than Gillette Fusion 4 pack for the same quality shave! Now shaving is an art and if you do not prepare the beard properly with hot water and a good razor you can do damage. The steam room of a health club along with Total Shaving Solution Oil, is the ideal situation for a shave that's made in heaven! Goodbye Gillette, hello Gibellini Shark 5! Now, shaving is saving!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

I got a Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 for €4.99 with two blades in Boots. The blades are cheap too.

http://www.wilkinsonsword.co.uk/men/showroom/hydro_5

I honestly think its as good if not better than the Gillette ones.

I'll say it again, the best disposable I've used is the Sensor twin blade model.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

rh555 wrote: »

I've used both of these, I tried them because I wasn't really happy with the Gillettes and they cost a fortune. Both were next to useless, while they were fairly sharp, they clogged in a stroke or two. Shaving took for ever because I had to keep unblocking them, and I hated it even more than with Gillettes.

I tried DE safety razors shortly after and have loved every shave I've had since (just over a years worth now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Tried one of my brothers Gillette ProGlide blades after using DE for over a year.

Jesus it was bad! Felt like I used a rusty steak knife.
    If that's Gillette best cartridge shave, then I'm very happy to never touch them again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Giant Kiwi

Gillette to Lidl/Aldi special hmmm.

Bad to worse if you ask me.

Nothing like a DE or str8.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Alejandro M

NOTE: Since I posted the initial material I have done a lot of work and research and I have come to the conclusion that Gillette owned by P&G have mislead the market into buying their overpriced products and are now trying to rid the planet of DE blades in poorer countries with a horrible plastic single blade monstrosity! I always thought Gillette was Italian. Excuse my ignorance! I am not ashamed though because before Xmas I bought an Edwin Jagger DE89L, Cella Shaving cream, a badger brush and started DE shaving. Now 6 weeks later I am getting amazing shaves and my complexion looks better than ever. I'm almost 43 and I look around the 30 (Well, I don't drink or smoke, eat well and workout daily!) I threw the Fusion and the Gibillini 5 blade multi blade malarky in the bin. I am now shaving like a man and the bathroom is the most exciting room in the house after the bedroom! I bought Taylor and Proraso creams, lots of DE blades, soap sticks and now I am about to buy in bulk. I have a choice now when shaving. Gillette give you many choices but they are Gillette choices! All they do is buy opposition companies and close them down. That's great for the world economy. They use plastic in all the products whereas DE shaving is environmentally friendly. And the canned gel and goo, I won't even go there. Water is key to a great shave not air bubbles and petroleum in aerosols. You will age faster using this ****e.

All the best. Sing it loud "THERE'S NO SHAVING LIKE DE SHAVING. FOR DE SHAVING IS KING! (Oh stoppit!) All you multiblade men log on to Shaving.ie and make shaving fun again! When you see the fantastic real soaps and creams and amazing razors you will feel more manly than Steve McQueen or JFK and take action! Women won't be able to resist you! Forget supermarket plastic crap. All you pay for is packaging! You can buy 100 premium DE blades for less than €10.00. 100 Fuzion will cost €350.00 That's the price of a dirty weekend with your favourite bedmate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Seems happy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

NOTE: Since I posted the initial material I have done a lot of work and research and I have come to the conclusion that Gillette owned by P&G have mislead the market into buying their overpriced products and are now trying to rid the planet of DE blades in poorer countries with a horrible plastic single blade monstrosity! I always thought Gillette was Italian. Excuse my ignorance! I am not ashamed though because before Xmas I bought an Edwin Jagger DE89L, Cella Shaving cream, a badger brush and started DE shaving. Now 6 weeks later I am getting amazing shaves and my complexion looks better than ever. I'm almost 43 and I look around the 30 (Well, I don't drink or smoke, eat well and workout daily!) I threw the Fusion and the Gibillini 5 blade multi blade malarky in the bin. I am now shaving like a man and the bathroom is the most exciting room in the house after the bedroom! I bought Taylor and Proraso creams, lots of DE blades, soap sticks and now I am about to buy in bulk. I have a choice now when shaving. Gillette give you many choices but they are Gillette choices! All they do is buy opposition companies and close them down. That's great for the world economy. They use plastic in all the products whereas DE shaving is environmentally friendly. And the canned gel and goo, I won't even go there. Water is key to a great shave not air bubbles and petroleum in aerosols. You will age faster using this ****e.

All the best. Sing it loud "THERE'S NO SHAVING LIKE DE SHAVING. FOR DE SHAVING IS KING! (Oh stoppit!) All you multiblade men log on to Shaving.ie and make shaving fun again! When you see the fantastic real soaps and creams and amazing razors you will feel more manly than Steve McQueen or JFK and take action! Women won't be able to resist you! Forget supermarket plastic crap. All you pay for is packaging! You can buy 100 premium DE blades for less than €10.00. 100 Fuzion will cost €350.00 That's the price of a dirty weekend with your favourite bedmate!

Welcome brother, you have come home!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

rh555 wrote: »
    Hi,

I dont wanna pay those crazy prices for Gillette (MACH 3) anymore and looking for alternatives. I looked around and there are 3 alternatives I could find and I am hoping someone has had some experiences with any of these.

1. Lidl Triple razor (Gibellini)

If anyone tried any of these and likes them please let me know.

Thanks

P.S. All of these are way cheaper than Gillette

Aldi razor FAR superior to Lidl item. Been using it for years now and it's genuinely good.

Advertisement