Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a question for the mod's

Options
  • 16-11-2009 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hey guy's,

I know the history of web hosting forums was bad in the past but the are still some threads asking about this.

I believe that maybe you should now consider opening them after a long time out. Also, a much more stricter rules for those who argue in these forums should be given. 3 warnings or they are out of boards.ie altogether.

How do you feel about this? I only ask this because of people still asking these question in the Design and SEO forums.

Please have a serious think about this.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Would it not be easier if users were shown a list of web hosts?
    Or is it specific hosting type Qs that you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

this is prob better suited here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Personally I think it would be better to open the discussions again without "pimping". Anyone caught pimping should be banned full stop.

There are many questions around hosting and recommendations for hosting - it's a bit unfair that no-one can discuss it. We're all paying for the fact that these competiting businesses' couldn't get along.

But for everyone else - I think it's only fair that people can recommend with a bit of transparency.

That's my two cents anyway... It's unlikely anything will change though! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd understand if a normal user was looking for a web host forum to re-open but when a company is suggesting it it looks like they just want to pimp their business....no offense but this is what it looks like.

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'd understand if a normal user was looking for a web host forum to re-open but when a company is suggesting it it looks like they just want to pimp their business....no offense but this is what it looks like.

I see where you are coming from re: HWS, but I just want to throw something out there.

If you look at a lot of the threads that are started, generally it's a lot of people that hardly even know they need hosting - there's a clear need for answers to questions relating to hosting.

The last thing anyone of us want is more pimping, but there's no reason why this can't be prevented - with strict enough rules.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

tomED wrote: »
    I see where you are coming from re: HWS, but I just want to throw something out there.

If you look at a lot of the threads that are started, generally it's a lot of people that hardly even know they need hosting - there's a clear need for answers to questions relating to hosting.

The last thing anyone of us want is more pimping, but there's no reason why this can't be prevented - with strict enough rules.

hear hear......therefore those threads can be moved out of the design and seo threads. If i was a user i would leave due to the pimping and not bother with anyone of them coz thats trouble makers for you. We want it clean.

Lets see if the other hosting companies on the forums will stand by that. This is a BIG ask after what happened years ago.

Cabaal wrote: »

Hi Cabaal,

You have a fair point when a company asks this. But that is not on my mind. I want to help people that has hosting and domain name questions. People require these questions and when new users look in the hosting threads its based back in 2002. So they have to place their threads in the design or seo forums. Surely it dosen't look good that way.

This is why i have asked for consideration in opening it again and HAVE stricter rules on pimping. Surely, this is understandable and a good point.

One thing i would be agains't is the hosting company(s) posting links that will help them e.g what Blacknight did in one post, so i provided a better link. As Blacknight has mentioned that we are on top of the list we showed. But he's on top of the other. No wonder he uses that alot. That is called pimping. That is one rule that SHOULD have strict conditions around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

HandWSLtd,

If we allow this discussion, would you be happy to participate if we removed all of the links in your username and signature?

You've been toeing the line in certain forums and are in danger of being infracted at the very least, if not banned for trying to promote your business, by leaving seemingly innocent posts in forums talking about Blacknight for example.

Similarly, though it's not Boards.ie related, I'd have to question your motives given tweets like this - http://twitter.com/HostingWebSolut/statuses/5737964013

Edit: Deleted tweet screenshot:

delted_tweet.jpg

I'd be interested in your reply.

Darragh

Darragh wrote: »
    Similarly, though it's not Boards.ie related, I'd have to question your motives given tweets like this - http://twitter.com/HostingWebSolut/statuses/5737964013

Definitely an ulterior motive then.... crazy stuff...

I admit...i did it but then deleted it from the original as i soon as i read the post from the original place and it was not a good idea and unfair.

However, i do not use twitter and haven't login for a long time. That post was extracted from the original place and was not deleted auto, it's now deleted. And will NOT be happening again.

• Advertisement

HandWS LTD wrote: »
    I admit...i did it but then deleted it from the original as i soon as i read the post from the original place and it was not a good idea and unfair.

In fairness, if you resort to these tactics at all - it's not something that will ever stand to you. It looks as if you're willing to play just as dirty tactics as those that caused the forum to be closed in the first place.

tomED wrote: »
    In fairness, if you resort to these tactics at all - it's not something that will ever stand to you. It looks as if you're willing to play just as dirty tactics as those that caused the forum to be closed in the first place.

Exactly. This was why i got rid of it. Dirty tactic's are gone.

However, this is not the point of this thread. My point is mainly trying to get boards.ie to consider it to stop what happened in the past. People need this....not me. Also, i recommended to have strict rules for the web hosting forums....like that thread plus external social media stuff and dirty tactic etc.

So we can all cop on for the sake of making boards.ie better than it was and easier for the users to find the proper information required.

But okay, let's start this conversation again.

Would you take part if you weren't allowed use your company name or link to it in your signature?

The last thing I need is companies outbidding each other or downplaying others. It doesn't help.

Blacknight have been great members and advisors to Boards.ie members since April 2001. They deserve the right to be on our site, advising people and that's why we gave them their own forum and the "Official representative" badge, which is our mark of trust in them.

Have you ever contacted Boards.ie to advertise, Brian? Officially, like?

I'm not at all happy about this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055734606 - you come along, "correcting" a member who has been around for over 8 years and link to an external website and think what you did is okay?

Have you contacted sales@boards.ie at all?

Darragh

As someone able to stand from the sidelines on this, I find it amusing that the person who is calling for the re-opening of the hosting forum as recently as yesterday, posted the above about someone else in the business. Why on earth would the mods/admins agree to a request of this nature?

Although I would like to see the forum repoened (or at least the possibility for hosting discussions) myself, there are too many out there that will rush in and make claims that will result in its rapid closure once again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

$random user asks question about hosting / domain registration

I point $user at the thread which the mods have been maintaining for years which contains a list of links.

I then get snide comments from you

You then go posting snide and potentially libellous comments about me personally both on boards.ie, Facebook and Twitter

Edit: and just for clarification - that post is aimed at HandWS LTD

Darragh wrote: »
    But okay, let's start this conversation again.

Would you take part if you weren't allowed use your company name or link to it in your signature?

The last thing I need is companies outbidding each other or downplaying others. It doesn't help.

Blacknight have been great members and advisors to Boards.ie members since April 2001. They deserve the right to be on our site, advising people and that's why we gave them their own forum and the "Official representative" badge, which is our mark of trust in them.

Have you ever contacted Boards.ie to advertise, Brian? Officially, like?

I'm not at all happy about this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055734606 - you come along, "correcting" a member who has been around for over 8 years and link to an external website and think what you did is okay?

Have you contacted sales@boards.ie at all?

Darragh

Ok...Does this involve not just me but all other companies involved in the web hosting forums?? If they agree, then i will agree. But i can't see that happenning. Only way to find out is ask around.

I understand what you said about blacknight. But as he's top of the list....he's using that to his advantage to get back at the others. All i posted from the external link was a list of more of them that was not added to the boards.ie. And that is something people want.

I HAVE sent an email in the past to boards.ie asking to become an official representative. I'm pretty sure it was sent to sales@boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

when digiweb gave me a years free hosting,it was someone working for blacknight that gave me pointers on starting out. they've proven themselves to me through that,but also because they had the thumbs up from boards for a long time. tbh i don't get such a good vibe here from the others. /honesty

Blacknight wrote: »
    $random user asks question about hosting / domain registration

I point $user at the thread which the mods have been maintaining for years which contains a list of links.

I then get snide comments from you

You then go posting snide and potentially libellous comments about me personally both on boards.ie, Facebook and Twitter

Edit: and just for clarification - that post is aimed at HandWS LTD

Blacknight....my comment was only saying that it was not updated and pointed them to another list with more companies involved. I stand corrected for that.

They were not snide remarks, compared to yours. I apologise about the social media. I only did that after your comments but deleted it straight away as it was not right and forgot that it would be extracted by twitter. I apologise again as it will not happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I'm not sure if reopening the Web Hosting board is such a good idea. It might be as the business landscape there has changed in Ireland since it was last open, but then again it might not.

There are numerous problems with such a board, of which the main one is those involved in hosting. I don't necessarily mean the hosts themselves, it can also be resellers and even developers who will launch into a libellous rant, which then causes the hosting companies to get involved because they all quietly monitor discussions. The whole thing can become a complete clusterfsck very quickly.

Given this perhaps things have changed. Not all the same players are still around (some hosts were amongst the worst troublemakers) and those who are may have grown out of the personality politics that blighted the board five years ago or so. Or maybe not.

What is it about the hosting business that attracts these sorts?

Disclaimer: I actually am good friends with a number of people in the hosting business and actually think they're a nice and normal bunch as long as they're kept apart.

Ok...Does this involve not just me but all other companies involved in the web hosting forums?? If they agree, then i will agree. But i can't see that happenning. Only way to find out is ask around.

I understand what you said about blacknight. But as he's top of the list....he's using that to his advantage to get back at the others. All i posted from the external link was a list of more of them that was not added to the boards.ie. And that is something people want.

I HAVE sent an email in the past to boards.ie asking to become an official representative. I'm pretty sure it was sent to sales@boards.ie.

To become an official representative, we ask companies that don't have a track record on Boards.ie, or who haven't been requested by Boards.ie members to take at least 6 weeks advertising with us. Please contact sales@boards.ie for details of our advertising rates.

The list that is being referred to - if you have any queries about it, please raise them with the moderators of that forum.

Kind regards

Darragh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Hosting 'discussion' almost always descends into farce and looking at some stuff in this thread alone fills anyone who's seen it before with zero confidence.

As for Blacknight, more given to than taken from in this community (and others) imnsho.

Iron gates, anyone???

I'm not sure if reopening the Web Hosting board is such a good idea. It might be as the business landscape there has changed in Ireland since it was last open, but then again it might not.

There are numerous problems with such a board, of which the main one is those involved in hosting. I don't necessarily mean the hosts themselves, it can also be resellers and even developers who will launch into a libellous rant, which then causes the hosting companies to get involved because they all quietly monitor discussions. The whole thing can become a complete clusterfsck very quickly.

Given this perhaps things have changed. Not all the same players are still around (some hosts were amongst the worst troublemakers) and those who are may have grown out of the personality politics that blighted the board five years ago or so. Or maybe not.

What is it about the hosting business that attracts these sorts?

Disclaimer: I actually am good friends with a number of people in the hosting business and actually think they're a nice and normal bunch as long as they're kept apart.

You are right that it can cause that. But as boards.ie have the power to stop this and look very closely to see if it can work again....then great all round for the users...as they have to post elsewhere which is probably confusing them. If the same thing happens with the new strict rules if there is one ..... then they can ban them for good. They might try again.....but they'll be caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Blacknight....my comment was only saying that it was not updated and pointed them to another list with more companies involved. I stand corrected for that.

They were not snide remarks, compared to yours. I apologise about the social media. I only did that after your comments but deleted it straight away as it was not right and forgot that it would be extracted by twitter. I apologise again as it will not happen.
    As the outside observer, you're trying to run a business. Act like a professional. Its always nice to think about what you're doing before you act.

That tweet and your reported behavior afai-see was bull$hit. And apologizing for it is an empty gesture at this point. Turn a new leaf and take Darragh's advice on board.

I dont do Web Hosting, I dont do Websites. But I do notice every other forum - broadband, laptops, etc. all run great with users coming in commenting and criticizing different brands goods and services and from time to time we get the odd Hewlett Packard rep come on the laptop forum as a Joe Schmoe to give people help without resorting to slinging mud or ever mentioning a competitor. Why WH doesnt work like that, I dont know. But it should.

Overheal wrote: »
    As the outside observer, you're trying to run a business. Act like a professional. Its always nice to think about what you're doing before you act.

That tweet and your reported behavior afai-see was bull$hit. And apologizing for it is an empty gesture at this point. Turn a new leaf and take Darragh's advice on board.

I dont do Web Hosting, I dont do Websites. But I do notice every other forum - broadband, laptops, etc. all run great with users coming in commenting and criticizing different brands goods and services and from time to time we get the odd Hewlett Packard rep come on the laptop forum as a Joe Schmoe to give people help without resorting to slinging mud or ever mentioning a competitor. Why WH doesnt work like that, I dont know. But it should.

Thats exactly what it should be like....hopefully the other web hosts can go with it. As we are for it and it'll be much easier for the users. As for the tweet.......it sure was bull****. But NOBODY did anything as i took it straight off.

You are right that it can cause that. But as boards.ie have the power to stop this and look very closely to see if it can work again....then great all round for the users...as they have to post elsewhere which is probably confusing them. If the same thing happens with the new strict rules if there is one ..... then they can ban them for good. They might try again.....but they'll be caught.
    3rd time reading this and I think I now kind of understand what it says!
    Thats exactly what it should be like....hopefully the other web hosts can go with it. As we are for it and it'll be much easier for the users. As for the tweet.......it sure was bull****. But NOBODY did anything as i took it straight off.
    The tweet is IMO a reflection of how you would act on boards (*in my opinion*). Will posts (by any users) in the same kind of vein as your tweet cause extra work for boards and/or could it result in libel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Overheal wrote: »
    I suspect because Web hosting is composed of a small number of players, who take their business very personally, unlike large corporations like HP. Many of the arguments tended to devolve into thinly veiled ad hominem attacks, with personal vendettas surfacing or forming as a result.

Web hosting, just seems to be one of those 'special cases' that defies reason, TBH. As such, it deserves 'special treatment'.
    I do not have the time to babysit a bunch of overgrown kids who want to libel each other. Neither do any other moderators or the admins, I suspect.

Moderation is a voluntary activity and time consuming enough without having to be present 24/7, as was necessary in the past, lest Boards suffer a far worse consequence, in the shape of legal action, than it would because of some hair-brained kiddies on After Hours.

If I felt that people could generally behave I would agree with the board's reopening, however from what I have read here, I'd have my doubts and could see it devolving within a week.

kbannon wrote: »
    3rd time reading this and I think I now kind of understand what it says!

The tweet is IMO a reflection of how you would act on boards (*in my opinion*). Will posts (by any users) in the same kind of vein as your tweet cause extra work for boards and/or could it result in libel?

It may cause extra work....just like that tweet was found. But won't that make boards.ie better if the web hosting was opened. I wasn't around in the past to know what happened but i wanna make this work. If the others will then....it will come to boards.ie advantage.

It may cause extra work....just like that tweet was found. But won't that make boards.ie better if the web hosting was opened. I wasn't around in the past to know what happened but i wanna make this work. If the others will then....it will come to boards.ie advantage.
    I moderate on here for nothing (as do all the other mods & admins) Why should we have to work harder in ourrespective forums so that people can come along and post crap about other providers? Personally had soimehting like your tweet appears inone of the motoring forums, you'd have been banned with no second thought!

As for making it work, I haven't seen any evidence of this from you. Make an effort on boards before you want to start using it as a marketing tool (which I take for granted is your sole reason for this thread)!

I suspect because Web hosting is composed of a small number of players, who take their business very personally, unlike large corporations like HP. Many of the arguments tended to devolve into thinly veiled ad hominem attacks, with personal vendettas surfacing or forming as a result.

Web hosting, just seems to be one of those 'special cases' that defies reason, TBH. As such, it deserves 'special treatment'.

I do not have the time to babysit a bunch of overgrown kids who want to libel each other. Neither do any other moderators or the admins, I suspect.

Moderation is a voluntary activity and time consuming enough without having to be present 24/7, as was necessary in the past, lest Boards suffer a far worse consequence, in the shape of legal action, than it would because of some hair-brained kiddies on After Hours.

If I felt that people could generally behave I would agree with the board's reopening, however from what I have read here, I'd have my doubts and could see it devolving within a week.

Fair point....it may be tough to start with but you have the power to ban them. So it can be decent and better. If it starts bad then it will eventually calm down. I don't intend to cause any offence to another web host. The first thing i'll do if something i think has sort of infected me, is ask a mod if i can post this or not. So thats one person's opinion. If the others will do the same surely thats good for you.

Try a trial. Doubts are part of everything, but you'll never know until you try.

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    As for making it work, I haven't seen any evidence of this from you. Make an effort on boards before you want to start using it as a marketing tool (which I take for granted is your sole reason for this thread)!

You have my word. Did you look in the design and seo thread where i have been helping others? This is evidence. You can ban me straight away if i show any bad things on the web host forum. This is a recommendation...surely it should be considered as most of those who were around then are either grown up or moved on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement