Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a question for the mod's

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

kbannon wrote: »
    I think its time that mods should get paid! :D
    HandWS LTD wrote: »
    This question should not be directed at me as i have said "Another" person mentioned the mods should be getting paid.

I assumed it was a joke by kbannon and its one that is bandied around on here jestingly quite a bit :D with newbies asking how much mods get paid ... and mods responding thats secret or similar :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

yep....didn't realise who wrote it until after my post. he got me there....alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Slightly tongue in cheek, but how about reopening the hosting forum but banning from it a) host accounts (Blacknight, HandWS, etc) b) users under a minimum # of posts

That way users of hosting services could offer their opinions of the relevant benefits of each supplier, suppliers wouldn't be able to snipe at each other, and the postcount requirement would help stop suppliers re-reging shill accounts.

I'm for that....for the users sakes. but its unlikely due to what would go on and has went on in the past. Case dismissed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Cant see a hosting forum working again. Even since its been closed any topic thats actually lasted has turned into a bloody mess. It would have to be heavily moderated - somewhat like the Soccer forum I guess.

Generally speaking, I support such a discussion but I just fail to see how its going to work when you look over the past. Even for SEO related discussions people are constantly snipping at each other over who runs the best SEO business and the forum is often used by people spamming their business. Its a nightmare and I can see the hosting forum falling the same way.

I also believe this thread was created with other interests in mind and not the users/customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Sully wrote: »
    I also believe this thread was created with other interests in mind and not the users/customers.

I have to say I agree, I think this thread was created for advertising more then anything else. As the topic has been discussed I think it should be deleted.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I have to say I agree, I think this thread was created for advertising more then anything else. As the topic has been discussed I think it should be deleted.

No seriously ..... it wasn't. As i was in the internet marketing forum and replying to a thread. I realised that that thread should not be there so i sent the mod of that category "Sully" a private email asking about it being moved and maybe thinking about opening the web hosting with restricted rules for that thread to be put into. And that was before i opened this thread. Is that not the right thing to do? Sully then replied on the thread after i had opened this one.

It would not come to any web hosts advantage due to the past. And i would be for all web hosting companies banned from that so only users can communicate via it. But it won't happen due to all the arguments against it as they are saying it would be impossible to stop. So there is no hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No seriously ..... it wasn't. As i was in the internet marketing forum and replying to a thread. I realised that that thread should not be there so i sent the mod of that category "Sully" a private email asking about it being moved and maybe thinking about opening the web hosting with restricted rules for that thread to be put into. And that was before i opened this thread. Is that not the right thing to do? Sully then replied on the thread after i had opened this one.

It would not come to any web hosts advantage due to the past. And i would be for all web hosting companies banned from that so only users can communicate via it. But it won't happen due to all the arguments against it as they are saying it would be impossible to stop. So there is no hope.
    As a Web Hosting company yourself, who has nothing to gain from any of the measures you have proposed, we're to believe you're doing this out of the kindness of your heart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If that is the case then you won't mind the thread being deleted.

Overheal wrote: »
    As a Web Hosting company yourself, who has nothing to gain from any of the measures you have proposed, we're to believe you're doing this out of the kindness of your heart?

We're not just a web host. And yes .... it runs thru my irish blood. I'm doing this not just for me. Clients of mine would tell you this. But you won't believe it until you hear from them.

As for the other post. I do not mind. Either way works for me. The thread is closed and has stopped giving recommendation's for the web hosting forum to open.

• Advertisement

We're not just a web host. And yes .... it runs thru my irish blood.
    I've read this about 12 times and I'm still not sure what you're referring to.
    I'm doing this not just for me. Clients of mine would tell you this. But you won't believe it until you hear from them.
    Nobody has prevented them from speaking here.

Sorry....i was thinking out loud. The kindness runs thru my irish blood is what i mean't.

I won't be harassing my clients to come on here and speak. No way....not a option for anybody to bother theirs, including you bothering yours. I would not like that if i was a client and surely you wouldn't either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

What do you mean exactly? We look after it full time? If you are asking me to become a mod.....then maybe.
    No, that you pay the legal bills and any damages awarded when inevitably some hosting company starts legal action against the publisher (Boards.ie) for something libellous that will inevitably be posted by some hot-headed host.

If you're so certain that things will be different this time, you won't really be taking a risk if you do that, will you?

TBH, on reflection, I don't see reopening the board working.

No, that you pay the legal bills and any damages awarded when inevitably some hosting company starts legal action against the publisher (Boards.ie) for something libellous that will inevitably be posted by some hot-headed host.

If you're so certain that things will be different this time, you won't really be taking a risk if you do that, will you?

TBH, on reflection, I don't see reopening the board working.

Thank you for clearing that. I'm against it.....after listening to all the arguments against. Its clear that it would not work.

Good.

One thing left to do here then:

cat-detonator.jpg

Overheal wrote: »
    Good.

One thing left to do here then:

cat-detonator.jpg

Do you want a hand?

Snowball IV has got it covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I'm not sure if reopening the Web Hosting board is such a good idea. It might be as the business landscape there has changed in Ireland since it was last open, but then again it might not.

There are numerous problems with such a board, of which the main one is those involved in hosting. I don't necessarily mean the hosts themselves, it can also be resellers and even developers who will launch into a libellous rant, which then causes the hosting companies to get involved because they all quietly monitor discussions. The whole thing can become a complete clusterfsck very quickly.

Given this perhaps things have changed. Not all the same players are still around (some hosts were amongst the worst troublemakers) and those who are may have grown out of the personality politics that blighted the board five years ago or so. Or maybe not.

What is it about the hosting business that attracts these sorts?

Disclaimer: I actually am good friends with a number of people in the hosting business and actually think they're a nice and normal bunch as long as they're kept apart.
    I suspect because Web hosting is composed of a small number of players, who take their business very personally, unlike large corporations like HP. Many of the arguments tended to devolve into thinly veiled ad hominem attacks, with personal vendettas surfacing or forming as a result.

Web hosting, just seems to be one of those 'special cases' that defies reason, TBH. As such, it deserves 'special treatment'.

I do not have the time to babysit a bunch of overgrown kids who want to libel each other. Neither do any other moderators or the admins, I suspect.

Moderation is a voluntary activity and time consuming enough without having to be present 24/7, as was necessary in the past, lest Boards suffer a far worse consequence, in the shape of legal action, than it would because of some hair-brained kiddies on After Hours.

If I felt that people could generally behave I would agree with the board's reopening, however from what I have read here, I'd have my doubts and could see it devolving within a week.
    I think you missed the bit about not wanting to spend 24/7 moderating such a board.

Last time is started bad and got worse. Why would it be different this time?

We did. It failed.

However, that was some time ago, which is why I am keeping my own mind open to this. Given this, what I have read here and associated with this thread does not fill me with a warm fuzzy feeling. Admins call, TBH, although if we were to do a trial, I would not end it quickly - none of this 'wait for it to calm down' malarky.
    Gordon wrote: »
    No, it would be more work and there would be MUCH more noise as opposed to signal. The mods have got a tough enough job as it is without grown adults resorting to petty childishness. We have learned from our mistakes in the years we, as a site, have grown, and limiting web hosting specifics is one of those benefits we have gained.

aidan_walsh has given a decent middle ground to the web hosters, any more leniency and problems will start to happen. We're still open to suggestions of course, but I can't possibly think of a solution to stop the hosting squabbles, if it's a case of 'try it out' 'trust us just one last time' then I'd say no, sorry, been there, done that.
    Gordon wrote: »
    More work for mods and the errant users will find more cryptic and hidden ways of pimping by stretching and pushing the limits of acceptability.

The bit about stricter rules? Stricter rules means heavier moderation means more time spent modding. Why should mods have to spend more time if people can't play by the rules as it is? Why is it the mods' fault?

As for confounds idea about opening up the sticky to allow more info on hosts? I'll trust aidan's view on that for the forum. My own personal view is - why does it matter? All you are trying to do by allowing discussion on hosting is apparently to let the end user know more about a company, understand why they should go with the company, what is good and bad about the company. What then would they learn from a marketed blurb? A blurb geared towards getting business, when instead they should be doing their own research, considering we allow minimal discussion and they can't do it here. My personal vote would be no, as it's in the users best interest.

The above says everything that needs to be said on this topic

*files away for reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Okay, I think this is done to death. We're not reopening the web hosting boards.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Darragh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement