Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does new medical card charge effect long term illness

Options
  • 16-11-2009 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anybody knows if the new proposed medical card charge effects people with a long term illness book?

I have diabetes and get sensors every week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

I would say it more than likely will. As a training pharmacist the waste of drugs is huge and this can be seen by people just getting everything every month weather they need it or not.
    I often see returns of unopened drugs worth hundreds because medication has changed or the patient has died. All of this goes in the bin.
    Another option in the pipeline is to cover diabetic stuff on the DPS 100 euro a month.
    Out of interest a box of sensors should last longer that a week. In generally 2 boxes are used per month so maybe you need to ask your doctor aout that

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

FluffyCat wrote: »
    I would say it more than likely will. As a training pharmacist the waste of drugs is huge and this can be seen by people just getting everything every month weather they need it or not.
    I often see returns of unopened drugs worth hundreds because medication has changed or the patient has died. All of this goes in the bin.
    Another option in the pipeline is to cover diabetic stuff on the DPS 100 euro a month.
    Out of interest a box of sensors should last longer that a week. In generally 2 boxes are used per month so maybe you need to ask your doctor aout that

Well regarding long term illnesses, prescriptions would be used. The waste according to the HSE is coming from people with Medical Cards.

What is DPS 100 euro a month?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There are 50 tests per box. It really depends on how well controlled a person's diabetes is. I'm personally aware of one diabetic doing 45 tests a day- and another averaging 60 tests a day- on doctor's instructions (with written instructions from the consultant to ensure they are supplied sufficient quantities from their pharmacy). 2-3 tests a day would be the very minimum that someone with good control would be doing.

The proposals I heard were to migrate the LTI scheme holders over to the EUR100 DPS scheme (which in turn is proposed to increase to a EUR120 a month scheme). The limited list of conditions covered by the LTI scheme- particularly when there are numerous other lifelong illnesses that are not covered for purely arbitrary reasons- is the stated reason for the proposed change.

Time, and the December budget, will tell.

Did you see the uproar over the 50c per item dispensing fee proposal for medical card holders? I'm appalled. It is a very minimal amount- and would in some cases save on people ordering unnecessary medications- without being unduly cumbersome to administer or too much of a financial burden. The original proposal was EUR2 per item- which in itself was feasible......

This little country is in shambles.......

Thanks SMC,

I agree, while I average 8-12 tests a day, this number IS lowering as I gain better control.

However, I still would more than likely end up paying 120 euro a month if Long term illness book was moved to the Drug Payement Scheme.

Thought, I done a quick search through An Bord Snip's report and the only mention on the Long Term Illness I could find had the following to say.

"The Group considers it appropriate that a
    co-payment charge of €5 be applied in respect of all prescriptions where items are dispensed under
    the GMS and LTI scheme and doing so should save €70m a year."

No mention was made however, about moving LTI to DPS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I was just wondering if anybody knows if the new proposed medical card charge effects people with a long term illness book?

I have diabetes and get sensors every week.

TBH, your question is a little premature; Harney said that the 50c charge was one option that they were looking at, and gave no details of how she envisages it functioning. Other posters here are merely speculating as to what that might mean.
    Let's wait to hear what actually comes out in the budget, as smccarrick said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

The drug waste I was referring to comes from across the board. The people with LTI books cause as much waste as Medical card holders. Many people just are not aware of what drugs they need or even what what drugs they take and just say 'give me everything' ever month. If there was a small fee this may stop. Its the Doctors though who would have to watch what they are giving to try to stop this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ih

The drug waste I was referring to comes from across the board. The people with LTI books cause as much waste as Medical card holders. Many people just are not aware of what drugs they need or even what what drugs they take and just say 'give me everything' ever month. If there was a small fee this may stop. Its the Doctors though who would have to watch what they are giving to try to stop this

I think charging a small amount is wise. I was on a scheme similar to the medical card overseas, and the scheme charged a few dollars for any medication, which is fair enough.

I can't get the doctor visit card or medical card, and have a 5 year waiting period with private health insurance. Sigh, GP visits + drugs is costing me 150 euros a month. I want to help the Irish economy, but I think when i go home to visit my relatives, I'll get a year's worth of much cheaper medication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

If people have boxes of unused medicine and equipment - it tells me the doctor needs to more closely monitor the number of prescriptions they are writting or re-evaluate the patient - and especially if the patient is hoarding, collecting, or not taking medicine prescribed. This could indicate other problems. Similarly, in relation to overuse - its the doctor who decides what to prescribe.

Never jump to assumptions.

My question was regarding Long Term Illness, for example, I am a diabetic, I receive, Insulin and Sensors and some other small stuff now and again, I need all of this, infact I would imagine anyone with a Long Term Illness is using what they get from the chemist, its logical to presume this because they have A LONG TERM ILLNESS.

The waste according to the HSE is coming from people with Medical Cards who can receive ANY prescription for free.

Long Term Illness people can only receive prescriptions for their condition.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

My question was regarding Long Term Illness, for example, I am a diabetic, I receive, Insulin and Sensors and some other small stuff now and again, I need all of this, infact I would imagine anyone with a Long Term Illness is using what they get from the chemist, its logical to presume this because they have A LONG TERM ILLNESS.

The waste according to the HSE is coming from people with Medical Cards who can receive ANY prescription for free.

Long Term Illness people can only receive prescriptions for their condition.

Part of the problem is there are many other chronic life long conditions that are not currently covered under the LTI scheme, but have been clamouring to be included- some of whom are at long last getting reasonable lobby groups together, after years of disparate infighting and lack of coordination. If they were to include some of these conditions/illnesses- where exactly do they stop? Its easier to throw the baby out with the bath water- and get all chronically ill patients onto the EUR100 DPS scheme (where the majority of them- other than the few who have an LTI qualifying conditions are- in any case)- than it is to extend medication to a long list of other illnesses- the sufferers of which most probably consider themselves equally deserving.

It really is crazy- but there you have it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Sidetracker

Hi. I have Diabetes 2. I receive my medication free each month. I can assure you I am only given what I am entitled to each month, and I only take what I have been told to take by my Consultant. I also have Perianal Crohns and have been informed by my Consultant that there is no cure for it, so I will have it for the rest of my life. The total cost of the drugs I am on costs €480.oo per month. I pay €120.00 per month and I am an OAP. I take the point of the other contributors, but I would rather not to be buying any drugs at all.

Advertisement